My unimpressive set up - evolved.

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by adamdavid, Sep 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. adamdavid

adamdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    When I first started lurking on these forums many years ago there was a combination of super duper home cinemas that looked like something out of a magazine and "humble" cobbled together systems where people had scraped together bits and pieces to make something functional. It seems as if all the latter set ups have disappeared. I used to like seeing the less spectacular systems because I could compare what people like me were doing to get their home cinema fix.

Anyway, since my trusty 32" LCD stopped working and the replacement necessitated a complete redesign of my room, I thought I'd post some evolution pictures showing how things have changed in the last 13 years.

2005. Philips 24" PW6006 CRT TV, Pioneer DV-575A DVD player, Philips MX980 Surround sound Amp and speaker set.
    20050806_121646.jpg

2006. Same kit, change of position.
    20060308_182157.jpg

2009. Same kit, added furniture.
    20091223_201319.jpg

2011. 24" CRT replaced with 32" LG LV550T LCD.
    20110722_130049.jpg

2011, one month later. Toshiba BDX-1250 blu-ray player added.
    20111127_134529.jpg

2017. Things remained unchanged until the Phillips Amp and speakers where replaced with a Yamaha RX-V681 Amp and Wharfdale DX1-SE speaker system.
    20170201_165558.jpg

2018. New 43" LG UK6400 TV wouldn't fit where the 32" was so a total rearrangement was required, which brings us up to date.
    20180902_153106.jpg

So, there you have the evolution of my humble little system over the years. It's nowhere near as impressive as 99% of the systems on here but it's all I need.

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,258
    Great stuff there matey, if your happy then I'm happy for you, that's all that counts. What a great hobby this is:thumbsup:

3. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Actually, it's really clever and prescient of you to keep taking regular photos of your kit, plus dates, to see how it's evolved - I wish I'd thought of doing that myself!:facepalm:

I've got an idea in my head of what my first ever system looked like - basically telly, speakers, amp and sub like everyone else - and how it's all changed over the years, but I wish I'd tracked it like you have. And it's not often you see a CRT on here!

Nice little system by the way, not everybody wants to be pinned to the wall by their HC.:smashin:

4. Queens Pawn

Queens Pawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Great post and agree with the sentiment. In 2005 I don't recall enjoying movies any less on my 28" CRT with built in prologic surround sound than I do now...

5. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    It think this is great as it shows how your system has evolved. Wish I'd done something similar with my system over the years.

My first surround sound system was around 23/24 years ago with a Pro-logic Technic's SA-GX390 5.1 av receiver. I got it with a miss-match of speakers from Technic's, Kenwood and Tannoy plus a passive sub. Back then, for me at least it was VCR for the visuals and Tape, LP and CD for music. My TV was the most laughable part of it as it was named the postage stamp by my friends and family, as I was only a 14" TV :D:laugh::rotfl:

Whats worse, I said I didn't need a bigger TV as it was big enough for my needs, move forward quite a few years and my friends and family still laugh at me to this day since I have a 84" projector screen and a 50" TV now, Doh!

Back then, I also spent £70 pounds on 35 mtr's of speaker cable and even I though I was bonkers

6. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Hah - my first ever sub was a passive one, something from Richer Sounds I think, that cost less than £200 and I could pick it up with one hand!

I don't think it added anything to the sound whatsoever other than make it worse!:blush:

7. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    Hahaha, mine certainly made a difference as it was a Sub/Sat stereo configuration. Shh! don't tell anyone though as I still own them together with the box, which they've been in for a number of years, in fact I've still got the Tannoy 622 Centre I bought with them too. Thought it was the bees knees back then when I was a young lad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Meyrick Man

Meyrick Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Great timeline..I remember loving my black and white 14" portable hooked up to my original Atari. Didn't cost the earth but was my pride and joy for years. To me I love buying 2nd hand kit and putting the stuff altogether and then recycling my other kit. Keep enjoying your system and the AV hobby :):)