1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ultimate DVD/HDD Recorder - does it exist yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joshm, Apr 26, 2005.

1. joshm

joshm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi all,

I recently bought a LiteOn 5045, hoping that it would make me a happy bunny. Although the unit did what it said on the box, I wan't entirely happy with it because of certain specific things I wanted to do.

For instance, I would like to be able to record to HDD and then transfer the data straight onto the HDD of a PC (in this case a laptop).

Using the LiteOn to achieve the same end result was tedious - transfer from LiteOn HDD to DVDs and then from DVDs to PC HDD. The copy to DVD process was not always that reliable, but this may have been due to poor meia (although it was on the recommended list).

Anyway, to cut this story short, the LiteOn went back after a few weeks (and what were they thinking, omitting S-Video output?!).

I am wondering if there exists on the market a DVD/HDD recording device with the following features, or if there are plans to release one soon:

- Digital tuner
    - HDD
    - DVD burner (preferably multiformat)
    - Ethernet interface allowing for FTP or some such file transfer capability
    - S-Video & RGB outputs, etc
    - Flexible timer with decent user interface
    - Remotely programmable (e.g. via web interface)

Am I asking too much? I see that the Panny E500 came close but was let down by only allowing streaming video output via ethernet and not having a digital tuner. Are there any other contenders, or should I be thinking of creating my own machine using PC components?

Thanks for any replies,

JoshM

2. Jungle

Jungle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If such a machine exists I would be intered too.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    There isn't one yet. Looking at your list, there isn't one available that combines
    - Digital tuner
    - HDD
    - DVD burner

Though these will be coming later this year (Sept for Sony/Panasonic?)

- S-Video & RGB outputs, etc
    - Flexible timer with decent user interface

Yes, you can get this today (well, depends on your definition of decent interface!).

I'm not sure if any of the planned models have Ethernet and a remote programming interface.

Mark

4. steddyman

steddyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This doesn't quite do everything but its almost there and may be enough for you...

http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=558&v=users

Just combine it with a DVD writer in your PC

Alternatively there is something which will do all of this today and its a Media Centre 2005 PC with dual Black Gold DVB digital tuner cards and a ATI or NVidia graphics card and a JS Technology VGA->RGB converter box.

A little expensive but a great user interface and very flexible.

Steddy

5. addolorata

addolorata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me too. sounds fantastic. why is it such a big deal to find such equipment in this modern age hah?

6. manfredlurker

manfredlurker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Along the same lines is there any machine out there that will allow you to store large amounts of mp3s on the hard disk?
    I was interested in the Panasonic DMR-500 but they say that's not possible.
    Thanks
    Manfred

7. joshm

joshm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the replies so far, it's proving to be quite enlightening. Steddyman, your suggestions are great, I'm looking into them at the moment.
    Although I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere, I am wondering about the ability of the KiSS to be able to record digital terrestrial TV. Does it have an on-board decoder? If not, is it able to change the channel of the STB somehow or will it need to e done manually if, say, I wanted to record something on BBC3 followed by something on BBC4..?
    Thanks,
    JoshM

8. joshm

joshm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The LiteOn 5045 unit will let you store and playback MP3 files transferred to it via CD or DVD.
    HTH,
    JoshM

9. joshm

joshm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hmm, looks like it can't do much in this area, just take an input from an STB. No ability to change its channel or anything. Darn it! Also read some rather flaky reviews of the device which sugest it's still in its development phase. Shame, as it looked to be close to what I was after. Thanks anyway, JoshM

10. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that KISS one looks very good but to be honest I would choose a mediacenter pc, or build ur own and use showshifter or mediaportal!

evesham seem to make good mediacenter pcs with dual digital freeview tuners and dvd burner

i reckon mediacenter pc will be better value than say, a seperate sky+, dvd recorder etc

11. Pup

Pup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A mediacentre is an excellent piece of equipment, but I would avoid recommending an Evesham personally as I have one. I had been struggling with it for several weeks before they took it back to examine prior to giving a refund. They now tell me it is working perfectly and there is no justification for a refund.

This means, they either fixed and are hiding the fact to avoid giving a refund (I can't see a reputable company doing this), of they have a fault which just comes and goes. Personally, I'd rather believe they fixed it, otherwise I have to live with the thought that the fault will reappear one day, possibly after the warranty expires.

12. Duncy

Duncy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Waiting for one of these myself!!

Must do DVD-RAM disks and have dual digital tuners as well (with a hard drive it should be within reason to be able to record from two channels at once!!).

I'd also like it for around £200.............