My TV (UA65TU8000JXZK) randomly turns itself off when playing HDMI from MacBook

talkinginhexagons

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a very annoying problem that's been plaguing me for a while. Was hoping someone here might have advice.

I have a Samsung UA65TU8000JXZK television and a Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar. I've attached a diagram. My AppleTV is always hooked up to the soundbar (which then goes to the TV) it via HDMI. That works fine, no problems.

However, I also have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro (they exhibit exactly the same problem) that I use to play video by hooking the Macs up to the soundbar with HDMI. When playing with the Macs, the TV will turn itself off at random times. It's very unpredictable, but I'd say every 20-30 minutes on average. I continue to hear sound through the soundbar speakers but the TV's power indicator is red and the screen is off.

I've tried different HDMI cables, I've tried looking for power saving settings on the TV that might be causing problems.. no luck. I tried switching HDMI ports on the soundbar, the problem remains the same. I'm not sure how, but it seems like the TV might be getting a "turn yourself off" signal from the soundbar..? I'm really confused. As I said, the AppleTV --HDMI-> Soundbar --HDMI--> TV is fine. But using the MacBook or Mac Mini, frequent turn-offs. Anyone have any suggestions?

tvdiagram.png

Mac mini , and macbook have power saving options that are active by default , the screens usually turn off first after about 20 minutes if there is no input on the keyboard , followed shortly after that by system shutdown.

They dont seem to care what content is playing ,, movies or whatever , no user input and the screen goes of first followed by the system.

Just sorted the same issue myself on a brand new M2 Mac mini.
Go into settings , turn off the power saving settings.

Last edited:
Mac mini , and macbook have power saving options that are active by default , the screens usually turn off first after about 20 minutes if there is no input on the keyboard , followed shortly after that by system shutdown.

They dont seem to care what content is playing ,, movies or whatever , no user input and the screen goes of first followed by the system.

Just sorted the same issue myself on a brand new M2 Mac mini.
Go into settings , turn off the power saving settings.
Thanks, good advice. I eventually found the problem. It was a power setting (as you suggested) buried in a weird menu called "external devices" or something. Disabled that and it's been working ever since. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom