1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My TV keeps jumping in and out of Widescreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by monkichi 2.0, May 29, 2005.

1. monkichi 2.0

monkichi 2.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I was told this was a good place to come for AV stuff. I've got a problem and I was hoping somebody could help.

My TV keeps jumping from 4:3 to "Full" (Which is essentially 16:9 on my TV I think) and then back again and it's driving me nuts. It used to be that it would only do that when I was watching DVDs which were 4:3 on my DVD player, like Futurama and stuff like that. I recently bought an AV switch and now it's doing it with my Xbox AND my DVD, but not my PS2.

It's really odd, it just keeps jumping from one screen size to the other at around 3 second intervals. If the picture is 16:3 (Or widescreen or whatever) then it's ok, but if it's 4:3 then it goes mental. Even if I manualy change and lock it to 4:3 it just does it again straight away.

Oh yeah, it doesn't do it with my Sky digibox, and never has.

Does anybody know what this could be?

The way everything is connected is:

DVD Player, PS2, Xbox, Skybox all running through an automated switch into my TV. I've tried changing the AV switch to manual and that doesn't work either.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    A make and full model no would be helpfull?

3. nig29

nig29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    It does sound like a setting somewhere on the TV as it doesnt do it all the time.
    My Panasonic, (TX28PB50) when set to auto has the anoying thing that when it senses a dark patch at the bottom or top it thinks that it is displaying the wrong format and it zooms in to fill the screen. This is most evedent when watching TMF, which has a black border top and bottom.
    Nigel

4. monkichi 2.0

monkichi 2.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid I don't know the model number. It's a JVC widescreen (Wow, how extremely helpful huh?). I got it about 4 years ago as a gift. It lets me specify a display mode in the main options but when I do it just seems to jump around when I have a 4:3 display on either my DVD or Xbox.

It doesn't do it if I connect these things directly though.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    It should be on a label stuck to the back although, if your eyes are as dim as TG's, you might need a magnifying glass! :rotfl: