1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my tv goes weird at 4.55am......

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by carpetpaul, Jan 22, 2005.

1. carpetpaul

carpetpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit of a strange one here.......I've got a modern Philips Matchline 32" widescreen t.v, I couldnt find the exact model, but it was about £1300 and it's about 4 years old or so.
    Now, you might know, if you've got a similar Phillips tv, that they have a power indicator light on the front. Obviously red when on standby, it goes orange when you turn it on, while it warms up for a few seconds, then, as the picure and sound come on, it goes green......fine.
    when you turn it off, the light goes to from green to amber.......stays like that for a couple of minutes, then red comes on.......great, no problem.
    So I've got this tv in my bedroom, I stick it on the sleep timer every night about midnight, I fall asleep, and I know for a fact that the whole think goes off about 12.30 or 12.45.......again, exactly as you would expect.
    The really weird thing is, at about 4.45 in the morning, in the pitch black room, there's the slight click of a relay.............and on comes the amber light............it always wakes me up..........theres no picture and no sound.............then five minutes later...............another click..............and again back to the red light
    I can rule out any problem with the remote control, cause it even happens when they're in the other room, and there aren't any other stray radio waves.
    It's a slightly pointless question really, but does anyone have any idea what is it up to ?

cheers - Paul

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It might have something to do with NextView.
    NextView is an EPG system which is not used in the UK, but lots of European produced sets have it.
    If I remember correctly the LED colour change had something to do with EPG updating. I'm guessing, but I wonder whether the set is trying to update its NV EPG, unsuccessfully of course.
    Might there be a menu setting to switch NV off?
    As I said, something of a guess.

3. carpetpaul

carpetpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for the advice, so it's unlikely to be aliens trying to get through my t.v set ? :laugh: