My TV died and I'm looking for the best upgrade for the moment

smartymcflyy85

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the avforums and decided to join because I was told this was a great community to help me decide best for my purchasing needs. I have a dilemma that's been driving me crazy for the past week. I had my television die on me a week ago which was a LG 43UK60,well at least that's what it says on the box. I picked what I thought was best for me when I bought it 2 years ago with very little knowledge coming from a CRT television and my budget at the time . It happened to me after I finished playing a multiplayer game of Ghost of Tshushima Legends. When the screen went black but I could still hear the sound... but at least it was polite enough to stop working after my match was finished lol. I had planned on upgrading to the 65 inch X900h around Black Friday this year since I had seen it was on sale last year and after reading some of the recommendations on waiting to buy a television . So I was hoping my little LG would hold me over until then , but as Ian Malcolm would say "Life finds a way ". So now I have been looking for something suitable enough until I can get the X900h. I have a budget for $750 USD for the best television at that budget for someone who enjoys movies and a gamer. I heard the TCL 55 inch 6 series is a great television for gaming but the pandemic has caused televisions in America to skyrocket and stay out of stock. So now the TCL is twice the price than what it would usually be otherwise. I can't seem to find anything else worth buying after trying to read reviews and reddit posts that keep referring to the 6 series before the pandemic. I also want to have a television that is reliable enough that I can trust not dying on me with the panel lottery. Even under warranty It can become annoying to have to keep making exchanges until you get something that works correctly . This time I want to make the best decision as possible so that's why I came here, I also apologize for sounding long winded.

pastrybloke19

The X900H or XH9005 over in the uk, is a 2020 tv: I wouldn’t expect it to last till Black Friday. But maybe things are bit different in USA?

XH9505 (guess USA = X9505H?) is highly recommended on here and has been some great deals recently; maybe keep an eye open for them?

Dodgexander

TVs from 2020 ranges that rank all about equal to the TCL 6 series would be Hisense H9G, Vizio P series, Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T.

In 2021 prices are still high since new models have only been, but these models include HDMI 2.1:
Hisense U8G (replacement for H9G)
Sony X95J (replacement for X950H)

TCL and Vizio have yet to release/or announce newer models. I think they plan to sell the same models this year as last year apart from large sizes.

TVs that are recommended a tier down from those would be Sony X900H (new version X90J) or Samsung Q80T.

Any of these TVs will be a massive upgrade compared to before. The top tier models will be best if you want to use the TV for HDR content, but its fine going for the cheaper lower tier Sony/Samsung if you use mostly SDR still.

smartymcflyy85

Novice Member
TVs from 2020 ranges that rank all about equal to the TCL 6 series would be Hisense H9G, Vizio P series, Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T.

In 2021 prices are still high since new models have only been, but these models include HDMI 2.1:
Hisense U8G (replacement for H9G)
Sony X95J (replacement for X950H)

TCL and Vizio have yet to release/or announce newer models. I think they plan to sell the same models this year as last year apart from large sizes.

TVs that are recommended a tier down from those would be Sony X900H (new version X90J) or Samsung Q80T.

Any of these TVs will be a massive upgrade compared to before. The top tier models will be best if you want to use the TV for HDR content, but its fine going for the cheaper lower tier Sony/Samsung if you use mostly SDR still.
I went ahead and purchased the 65 inch X900H for 1098 USD. Which is 98 dollars more than last years Black Friday price in America at Best Buy. But still 300 dollars cheaper than it's normal retail price. So I guess I can live with that kind of difference. I wanted to still have wiggle room in my budget for when the PS5 comes back in stock eventually. So I had to pass on the top tier models being too far out of what I was comfortable spending.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom