Question My TV and sound want the same space

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by tenohfive, Jun 26, 2018.

1. tenohfive

tenohfive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm close to starting on my home cinema room and working through quite a long list of 'what xxx placement,' questions. And it seems that both my TV and centre want the same position. Both will be wall mounted and I want to get the best from both in terms of viewing angles and a well integrated centre channel.

The TV is a Sony KD65XE9305 with a total height of 838mm. I'm going to measure it in place with the new sofa, but I think my eye-line will be around 850mm seated (and around 1.8-2m from the TV best guess.) Using those measurements, for eye-line to be middle of the TV means the lower edge of the TV would be about 430mm from the carpet. That seems really low to me, and puts the centre channel lower than I'd like.

Moving the TV up somewhat sounds sensible, but how much - where would the sweet spot be? I've heard the lower-third line mentioned - that would put the TV 570mm from the carpet; my gut is telling me to aim even higher, but I suspect that too high (coupled with being much closer than normal) and it'll be uncomfortable and b) viewing angles will suffer.

I know I'm overthinking this, but I wanted to set this room up with £1k. I've paid £2400 so far, and I reckon I've got another £1k to go (thanks AV Forums, my wife hates you all.) So I want to get things right first time.

2. BobTheViewer

BobTheViewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I like to lean back a bit when watching TV so my eye line(980mm) is not horizontal at head hight.

55"(716mm) bottom sits at 780mm feels about right

3. tenohfive

tenohfive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Is your centre just below the TV?
    800mm was the height I had in my head. I'm going to use a temporary stand to start with and see how it looks.