• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered My turntable would only play from 1 channel

petras

Novice Member
Hey,

I just recently upgraded my receiver and speakers and hooked an old Garrard SP25 turntable with 5 din adapter to aux to play some records, but it would only play from 1 channel.
I switched aux inputs, and now it would play from the other speaker. My initial thought was that it is an adapters problem. But I have plugged the cables from a turntable into an old system and it works perfectly from both channels, which means it is not the adapter nor turntable and the problem is with the receiver.

The receiver is Marantz PM6005, it has no buttons to switch from mono to stereo, and it is pretty annoying to listen to records from only one speaker.

Any suggestions of what could be wrong?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Sorry to pick on your English but just to confirm, you connected a(nother) TT to another system or the same one? If the same one then did you connect back to the Marantz & have the same issue?

Logically what you describe (assuming the same TT) is impossible, other than an intermittent connection in either cable or TT.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
For the Record , the Garrard SP25 was a very popular budget turntable throughout the 60s 70s and early 80s and was notorious for losing one channel when connected via an adaptor.

petras

Novice Member
Hey, thanks for your inputs.
I have connected the same TT to a different system. I agree the issue is non-logical. But now I have remembered that my old system has a button to switch from mono to stereo signal, so that explains why it plays out of 2 channels and not 1 channel.

Do you think by using this adapter plugged into a working channel and then plugging into 2 channel at the receiver would solve the problem?
VLAP24020B02_2.JPG

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Not really as all you’ll have is one channel playing in mono. You need to investigate the problem further & the only way I can think to move forward is to try another cable. You could buy a real cheap one from EBay/Amazon just to test.

petras

Novice Member
Well, with my old system I had a mono sound as well, as apparently, TT is faulty. I will try getting a new cable, and if it doesn't work then I will get a rca splitter. Or a new TT :p

Thanks for quick replies.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
with 5 din adapter to aux

Can you post a picture of this and the connector on the turntable that it plugs into?
Chances are its not correctly separating the left and right channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom