1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My TRV33 hunt....

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by norfy, Aug 14, 2003.

1. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody help me ?

I am now trying to get my hands on a SONY TRV33 but to no avail. I don't want to pay silly money and most of the leads on pricerunner don't have any :mad:

I've rung half the Jessops in london, but same response :mad:

I found one down near my home town, but they don't price match with PIXmania :mad: (something about them not paying tax :confused: ) . Now I would try and order one from PIXmania but have read on pricerunner that they knock them out with french instructions and french power cords :thumbsdow

So if anybody can point me in the direction of either a company that stocks the TRV33 for around £600 or a company that I can price match with my local Jessops for around £600 I would be eternally grateful

I get all excited about buying one of these damn things and now I can't find one :mad: :mad: :mad:

Many thanks

2. CKB

CKB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You get all excited ?

I've bought one, completed the 0% finance and everything.

Ten minutes ago I took a call telling me that they are out of stock for 1 - 2 weeks and would I like to continue with the order :mad:

I'm not bothered, as I'd have to wait wherever I bought it from, but why didn't the idiots change the flag on the website so I knew it was out of stock before I processed the order :confused:

Not a good day today, this is the icing - I need a beer :suicide:

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Empire Direct are a good bet

4. CKB

CKB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They would be, if they hadn't just phoned me to tell me they're out of stock !:mad:

"We'll have 80 in the next 7 - 14 days sir, but we've no way of checking outstanding orders so could you please remember to chase us in a week or so"

:rotfl:

I was that shocked I nearly dropped the phone.

Usually these guys are the dogs, but for once they are failing me

:nono:

5. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Now anyone leaving the country , going on holiday ?

Dixons at Gatwick had them at £799 , obviously take the near VAT element and that's about the cheapest you will find around - I did.:D

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I paid £609:p

7. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a good price ! Mine came to about £650. I was just thinking about stock levels as many seem to be complaining.

8. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally bagged the last one at my local Jessops branch today, I pick it up on Saturday :D

I managed to find a uk stockist that a) had one in stock and b) that I could get jessops to price match against.

Will be paying £639

CKB: The online company that has one (well did at 4.30pm today) is www.electronics-online.co.uk I phoned the guy up and he will do it for £639 but has to get it from another warehouse to him before ships out to customer said to me it would be about a week.

Thats why I went back to my Jessops store and squared the deal :D

So thanks again to those that have given me helpful advice. Expect some posts from me on Sunday when the thing is charged and in my hand, but for now... bye

:clap: :clap:

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    One piece of advice I was given was with DV to use the same make of tapes and not to change as different brands use different lubricants and mixing them can cause problems.

BTW My previous video camera - which still works JUST even though the pickup tube is shot is a Sony HVC4000P coupled to a Sony SLF1UB - a pretty hot outfit for 1985 (when I got mine S/H) but best on the market in 1982.

Do a search and have a read!

10. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recommendations on what tape make to use ?

11. CKB

CKB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Empire Direct have the TRV33 at £660 inc delivery to the Island (adds £17 to the price, but I pay a lot less income tax than you guys so it works in my favour usually :devil: )

I've also whacked Panasonic DVM60 tapes into the deal with a 5 pack coming in at £16 inc p&p on its own or £670 with the cam (saves on postage).

A few quid more expensive than I could have got Jessops to price match to, but they offered 0% interest until April, which was the clincher :clap:

Now if only they had the stock available !

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Brands of tape - ask around - all I remember is don't mix

13. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    personally I will not be using any other make except for Sony. Granted they are a bit more expensive. But with the problems I had with my old Sony Hi-8 camera I do not want to chance it.

Don't forget to also take an extended 5 yr cover with Domestic & General. I did with my old Hi-8 sony and after 4 years it needed a new tape mechanism. The single repair made the insurance worth the 5 year bill. Unfortunately I decided not to extend it further and it broke down again in the 6th year - same problem. I had to fork out for that, but strangely enough not as much.

I swear most companies survive by charging the earth if they know it's an insurance company that foots the bill !!!!!

Lets hope I don't ever need to use the insurance for this new one.

14. Mark Harrop

Mark Harrop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too was searching for a TRV33, and no one had them in stock.

In the end I put an order in with Hispek on Monday, who said they'd get them in the end of the month.
    They called me Tuesday to arrange delivery for Friday, and it arrived this morning!

£589 for the camera, and I bought 5 sony tapes for £15.

Having ordered it I read the reviews on camcorderinfo, and apparaently it has worse battery life than the 22, and a smaller viewing angle. Why didn't any reviews mention this?

Never mind, it's my first camcorder, so I don't really know what to expect.

All the best,
    Mark

15. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Your going to love this, but I bought my TR33 from Gatwick airport (already mentioned at £799 less the VAT) and it came with a 90 day money back guarantee for whatever reason.

I'm hoping the price of the TR80 will drop enough by then for me to return the TR33 , get my money back (and the additional insurance of £170) and buy a new TR80 from the cheapest internet place.

16. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or do like I do and will do for my camera. Use a Barclaycard and get them to match the price. Buy it where you can ie. locally and then find the cheapest price you can and send them a claim. It works, I used it for my TV, bought it a mile away and claimed £250 off by getting an internet price. At least this way I got a free 5 year guarantee and know where to go if the thing goes wrong.

17. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a great tip.
    I am waiting for (0% for life on transfer) barclaycard - 3 weeks now. Provinding you use the card every month - that means min. 1p - if you could.

I presume this applies on any type of Barclaycard as I will have to apply for another different B/Card as I don't want to use the new one when it arrives.

18. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe its only for the real deal Barclaycard although a mate of mine checked with the Woolwich and they reckoned they had all the same facilities. I'd certainly check it out before buying though !

19. Masha

Masha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Anyone got any price or stock updates for this camcorder?

20. CKB

CKB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    FINALLY !:clap:

I was on the phone to Empire Direct on Tuesday chasing a different order and the very nice lady also informed me that their stock was now replenished, and so my TRV33 would be winging it's pretty little self to me within the next couple of days.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Chris