Toshiba 2011 passives, 42 and 47
The good the bad
No 3d film smoothing BAD
8ms pixel response time BAD
Extremely good input lag! EXELENT
Xtalk GOOD

lg 42lw450u passive.
The good the bad.
Alittle laggy but did'nt affect my gaming but the tosh showed it to have quite alot of lag GOOD/BAD.
Colourbug for interleaved 3d.BAD.
3d Film smoothing, Exelent
Proccessing issue's that is mostly cured by Game AV. BAD
Xtalk GOOD

Lg pz550t plasma
The good the bad
Terrible picture, not cery sharp and rough around edges.BAD
Can't handle a white screen, goes grey! BAD
Colourbug for checkerboard 3d BAD
Can't remember lag as i only had it a few days and thought it was garbage BAD
Xtalk, BAD

Phillips 32pfl7606 passive

Small, for me BAD for someone who likes 32" GOOD
No lag, alittle more than the tosh though but not as bad as the 450u. GOOD
No colourbug for interleaved 3d GOOD
No 3d film smoothing BAD
2ms pixel response time EXELENT
Xtalk ok GOOD

Lg 47lk950u passive

2.4ms pixel response time EXELENT
Gaming lag BAD
Xtalk TOP OF THE CLASS
3d Film smoothing GOOD

Lg 47ld920

2.4ms pixel response time EXELENT
Gaming lag seems tobe about the same as the philips MATCHES 7606 EXACTLY, used lag tester and cloned displays.
No colourbug with mod GOOD
3d film smoothing EXELENT
Xtalk TOP OF ITS CLASS

The lk950u and the ld920/950 Do give the best 3d xtalk performance out of all the sets i've seen in 2011 wether they was my tv's or mates.

The ld950/920 has no bells and whistles so its no smart tv.

I've only included the info for the tv's i've owned so i suppose the ld's beat all the tv's i've had.

Edit

Now things are starting to become clear.

After watching a certain film on the 47" tosh passive/lk950 i now just watched the same film with the ld920.
This only affects 3d proccessing, my 3d interleaved image is'nt affected as there is no 3d proccessing going on.

The ld920 in 3d at 1080p resembles Smooth video projects " reduce resolution " at around 720p.

The most obvious thing is that lg had to Reduce res to have 3d motion settings active in 3d, this is why the res looked so low, it has nothing todo with teh fpr screen as it was lg's software that is reducing the res of the image to give it more performance to use with 3d motion settings on, this is exactly teh same way SVP works if we set the setting to reduce res.

The new algorythm obviously does'nt decrease the res very much, again this is proved via SVP's " reduce resolution " as i can reduce res in svp to match lg 3d.

Allso note that i'm 99% sure the lk has a sharper 3d image just like all of lg's 2011 sets that got teh new algorythm.

Allso i believe the philips and the tosh could do 3d film smoothing but they decided agianst it and just went all in on teh better algorythm instead of giving a option for lower res but smoother image.

Even with the 920's lowered 3d res it still matches the ld and beats all the other 3dtv's i've had for interleaved 3d gaming and films, i'f i'm more happy now than with any other tv apart from ld then that really does mean something ;)

If you have a ld920/50 there really is'nt much piont in spending your money on another passive yet, they are still very good even by todays standards.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Mocca, thanks for confirming what I've suspected for some time.

It's not often that technology regresses but it would seem LG's plastic FPR screens don't quite match the original performance of the glass polarisers fitted to their early and very expensive 2010 passive range. I'd already heard this through the grapevine but you're the first to confirm with hands on

Since these sets pre-date LG's display algorithm update then it would also suggest this was more of a marketing ploy (to counter Samsung's false advertising) than a real improvement in image quality. The algorithm basically doubles the bandwidth requirements whilst providing little if any improvement in image quality. (hardly an 'achievement' I'd want to shout about :thumbsdow) but I'd be interested in your comments.

As you say, these early models are very basic indeed compared to 2012 sets and for anyone that has one then I strongly recommend they match it with the Samsung BD-D6900 (or similar) blu-ray player as this gives you Smart Features like LoveFilm, strong DLNA playback, excellent 2D>3D conversion, HD FreeView and a PVR. 3D conversion is simply stunning. :smashin:

One thing I've noticed over the 13 mths of owning mine is that so called 'crap' 3D films are actually quite watch-able (I take the simple view that any strength of 3D, provided it's not a strain to view, is better than watching 2D) which would suggest the technology used to view 3D is more important than many might assume.

Unfortunately, I've also learnt that great as the 3D may be these sets still can't convert a crap movie to a good one :D

Mocca, thanks for confirming what I've suspected for some time.

It's not often that technology regresses but it would seem LG's plastic FPR screens don't quite match the original performance of the glass polarisers fitted to their early and very expensive 2010 passive range. I'd already heard this through the grapevine but you're the first to confirm with hands on

Since these sets pre-date LG's display algorithm update then it would also suggest this was more of a marketing ploy (to counter Samsung's false advertising) than a real improvement in image quality. The algorithm basically doubles the bandwidth requirements whilst providing little if any improvement in image quality. (hardly an 'achievement' I'd want to shout about :thumbsdow) but I'd be interested in your comments.

As you say, these early models are very basic indeed compared to 2012 sets and for anyone that has one then I strongly recommend they match it with the Samsung BD-D6900 (or similar) blu-ray player as this gives you Smart Features like LoveFilm, strong DLNA playback, excellent 2D>3D conversion, HD FreeView and a PVR. 3D conversion is simply stunning. :smashin:

One thing I've noticed over the 13 mths of owning mine is that so called 'crap' 3D films are actually quite watch-able (I take the simple view that any strength of 3D, provided it's not a strain to view, is better than watching 2D) which would suggest the technology used to view 3D is more important than many might assume.

Unfortunately, I've also learnt that great as the 3D may be these sets still can't convert a crap movie to a good one :D

I have edited the post alittle after a nights testing ;)

Allso note that i'm 99% sure the lk has a sharper 3d image just like all of lg's 2011 sets that got teh new algorythm.
That's interesting. So you think the new algorithm does improve PQ ?

Of course, if you own one of the more recent LGs then it couldn't be easier to prove as you only have to turn off the algorithm (with TruMotion switch) and view the difference.

That's interesting. So you think the new algorithm does improve PQ ?

Of course, if you own one of the more recent LGs then it couldn't be easier to prove as you only have to turn off the algorithm (with TruMotion switch) and view the difference.

Not sure but there is something there that was'nt on the 47 tosh and lk, if it was it would of been noticable as plain as day after having sets with the algorythm active so yes, the pq is improved but i do'nt know why,just guesses.
I've not mentioned the other sets as i can only compare the 47's i've had due to pixel sizes.

Normal interleaved 3d gaming looks the same on all the 47's i've had i'd say but there was a better 3d pq with the tosh and lk 47's when none interleaved 3d is activated.

I'm still more than happy with my 3d film image and would only swap it for probly a ld950, the fact that the 920/50 has no lag makes it the best passive 3dtv on the shelfs for me.
Sure it has it's faults but to weigh up all the faults from teh tv's i've had the 920/50 has the least of them all.

To sell the 950, have a few tv's and not be happy with any of them for one reason or the other and then togo back to the original set and be happy again is madness, what was the piont :(

Last edited:
Managed to get a lag test done before the philips went on its merry way
No lag, if it was a tosh passive though instead of the phillips you would of seen a small amount of lag between the 2 sets.
The ld does match the pfl :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom