My Trusty Panasonic TX-P50GT50B needs replacing - no idea what to get!?

SirStocky

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my Panasonic Plasma stopped working last week with a 3 blink led failure. I doubt I want to take the risk of spending £££ on repairs seeing as it is now 8 years old.

As Ive had the same TV for 8 years I rally had not kept up to date on TV developments and had obviously not looked at any ultra HD content. I've got a regular multi-room SKY HD system and I couldn't see the point of upgrading to SKY Q with my old TV. I may look to do so in the future depending on what SKY are able to do in terms of cost.

Viewing is largely Sky Sports (HD), BT Sports, Movies (Now streamed via Amazon Prime, Raku TV from my separate apple TV connected to the AV receiver), and box sets TV programs all via SKY (I tend to record and then playback when suits). Up until the last few months I have not used my PS3 at all although I have played a bit recently due to lockdown but I would say I am very much an occasional gamer.

Very much need some help in trying to figure out the best replacement for the Panasonic, I have to say its been a little daunting trying to figure out what the best option is!? QLED, OLED & LED all very new to me!?

Anyway I have completed the questionnaire as best as I can.

As for budget I really do not have a clue I had hoped I wouldn't be spending the same as I did for the Panasonic when I bought it!? I'm not sure I can really justify anything over £1k it would be nice to not have to spend a huge amount on a replacement although I understand I maybe disappointed in comparison to my old TV.

I also really don't know what the best size of TV will be now. I do know the 42" TV I am using now as a stop gap does seem very small in my lounge!? Happy to continue to use that for a while if I need to in the interests of getting a good deal on the eventual replacement for the panasonic!?

I really am not worried about having the "latest" most "up to date" TV anymore. It's a shame Plasma's seem to have fallen by the wayside?!

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?

• SKY (old HD not Q but I’m sure I’ll have to upgrade with time)
  • ONKYO TX-NR609 AV RECEIVER
  • Apple TV (not 4k at the moment)
  • Amazon via app
  • Roku streaming via app
  • HD Blu-Ray Player (PS3 at the moment but should really upgrade)
  • PS3 (but not gamed much until recently
  • WII (although not used in a long time)

What content will you watch on the TV?

• Amazon prime (movies and sport)
  • BBC I Player
  • SKY and TV Channels via Sky (HD where available)
  • SKY Sports (HD)
  • BT Sports on Sky (Not HD)
  • BT Sports via apple TV and BT App (HD)
  • Sky Box Sets
SD40%
HD60%
UHD0% (At the moment)
  • DVDs – Blu-Rays
  • Gaming – PS3 at the moment but may upgrade to PS5
SD40%
HD60%
UHD0%
  • What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows10%
Broadcast Sport37%
Broadcast Movies10%
Streaming TV shows or Movies37%
DVDs1%
HD Blu-Rays1%
UHD Blu-Rays0%
Games2%

Will you use internal or external apps or tuners for the following? If external, via which device?

• Broadcast TV via SKY
  • Streaming services – Amazon Prime & Roku TV via Apple TV (Not 4K)
  • Catch up apps – all via SKY
Situational questions:

• What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? …. PANASONIC TX-P50GT50B which has just seemingly given up the ghost so I am now looking to replace rather than repair. It would be nice to have something with a bigger screen and perhaps be able to look to move tomore UHD content as I have not bothered up to now. I want something that is good for both watching films and sport with very occasional gaming
  • Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person?... Very much a set and forget
  • What is your viewing distance? … 3.2M
  • If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? … 3 seater settee directly opposite the TV on other side of the room
  • When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room?
    • Bright conditions during the day (south facing)
    • Dark movie nights in the evening with either very low lighting or none at all (although in the long summer evenings tends to have some light)
  • Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? I would say not unless the Sky TV guide is a risk? …. I have not gamed until recently in lock-down but have been guilty of the odd few hours playing tiger woods golf!
  • If using planning to use an internal tuner will you use satellite or free to air – I have both available

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance: (note I've really not used the smart APP's on my Panasonic at all instead using apple TV so I was unsure where to place the smart TV ease of use and app selection on the list)

1. Value
  2. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration)
  3. SDR Picture quality
  4. HDR Picture quality (In future)
  5. Cost
  6. Blacks
  7. Shadow detail
  8. Smart TV ease of use
  9. Smart TV app selection
  10. Viewing angles
  11. Sound
Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order: (Hard to order these as I’ve had the same TV for 8 years and not really viewed many others)

1. Reflective screens
  2. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks.
  3. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  4. Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity).
  5. Motion blur
  6. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
  7. Motion stutter
  8. Raised blacks
  9. Slow smart TV

Last edited:
Sony 55hx9505, £999

Sony XH9505 or if you want an OLED, one of the entry level ones like the LG BX or Panasonic HZ980. The Sony will be better in brighter conditions, the OLEDs, particularly the Panasonic better in dark conditions.

Sony XH9505 or if you want an OLED, one of the entry level ones like the LG BX or Panasonic HZ980. The Sony will be better in brighter conditions, the OLEDs, particularly the Panasonic better in dark conditions.

Thank you ill have a look at those

oh goodness had a look ....

do you think is it worth my upping my budget to get a 65” v a 55” considering my viewing distance?

also would it be worth waiting until later in the year when new models come out for perhaps a better discount?

oh goodness had a look ....

do you think is it worth my upping my budget to get a 65” v a 55” considering my viewing distance?

also would it be worth waiting until later in the year when new models come out for perhaps a better discount?
Yes defo for the 65”, maybe even worth 75” but big cost jump.

new 2021 models will normally mean good deals on 2020 models, just got to keep an eye out on pricing/availability.

If you are going bigger LCD TVs are better value for money than OLEDs. The Sony XH9505 is priced decently at 65" if you can stretch to it.

I wouldn't be tempted to stick to a 1k budget at 65" though, maybe if you went for the Hisense U8Q, but then you start to make compromises with picture quality.

If you are going bigger LCD TVs are better value for money than OLEDs. The Sony XH9505 is priced decently at 65" if you can stretch to it.

I wouldn't be tempted to stick to a 1k budget at 65" though, maybe if you went for the Hisense U8Q, but then you start to make compromises with picture quality.

I agree I think I’ll have to throw some more money in it and funnily enough I was looking at the Sony “65!

slightly left field but I was at Costco earlier in the week and was surprised to see the TCL QLED’s id never heard of them or the tech.

The 65 was on offer the 75 not currently but was a couple of weeks ago. From what I’ve read seem to be a few compromises with them?

Yes defo for the 65”, maybe even worth 75” but big cost jump.

new 2021 models will normally mean good deals on 2020 models, just got to keep an eye out on pricing/availability.

Thanks I’ll keep en eye out! The 65” Sony seems to have dropped a bit in price already?!

TCLs in Europe are not quite as good as their TVs in the Americas, at least not yet. Fine if you are shopping for something on a cheaper budget, but too many compromises if you want an all rounder. In particular if you are intending to use HDR content with the TV.

The 65 and 75" TCL 8 series (C815) is a decently priced budget TV, much better than most of the competition at that size and price, but they lack good local dimming and high peak brightness to be considered for HDR use.

QLED is just marketing talk for how an LCD TVs displays its colour, its not a new display technology like OLED is.

Last edited:
TCLs in Europe are not quite as good as there TVs in the Americas, at least not yet. Fine if you are shopping for something on a cheaper budget, but too many compromises if you want an all rounder. In particular if you are intending to use HDR content with the TV.

The 65 and 75" TCL 8 series (C815) is a decently priced budget TV, much better than most of the competition at that size and price, but they lack good local dimming and high peak brightness to be considered for HDR use.

QLED is just marketing talk for how an LCD TVs displays its colour, its not a new display technology like OLED is.

Yeah I read something about that with QLED this evening! Certainly leant a lot the last two days?!

I did wonder if the TCL’s would be too much of a compromise. Certainly seemed a lot for the money but I wondered how they would actually perform

I suspect £££ my push me towards the Sony unless my premium bonds come up next Month?!

A TV like the TCL C815 is fine if you are not intending to use HDR content. Its really mostly with HDR now where the difference in picture quality differs between cheaper and more expensive TVs.

Unfortunately with the way HDR works, every TV and their dog can accept the signal, but most can't display it properly. Means on cheaper TVs using HDR can result in the picture looking too dim or washed out, and worse than the SDR version.

It has some serious caveats if you wish to use your TV for modern content, in part because you can't turn off HDR using the built in apps.

A TV like the TCL C815 is fine if you are not intending to use HDR content. Its really mostly with HDR now where the difference in picture quality differs between cheaper and more expensive TVs.

Unfortunately with the way HDR works, every TV and their dog can accept the signal, but most can't display it properly. Means on cheaper TVs using HDR can result in the picture looking too dim or washed out, and worse than the SDR version.

It has some serious caveats if you wish to use your TV for modern content, in part because you can't turn off HDR using the built in apps.
I guess given if I’m spending the money and would want the tv to last 8 ish years like my old one I’d be better getting a tv that is good with HDR?

What about HDMI 2.1?

I guess given if I’m spending the money and would want the tv to last 8 ish years like my old one I’d be better getting a tv that is good with HDR?

What about HDMI 2.1?
Yes, because HDR is the future of video.
HDMI 2.1 depends what you plan to connect to the TV in the long term, its not important to most people unless you're a gamer.

Yes, because HDR is the future of video.
HDMI 2.1 depends what you plan to connect to the TV in the long term, its not important to most people unless you're a gamer.
HDR capable it is

as for gaming I hadn’t been until recently I’d owned my ps3 for years and on,y used it as a blue ray player but started playing a few weeks ago largely to pass some lockdown time!? i had though about getting a ps5 but I think new tv is now more of a priority but ps5 may come along later?

There's nothing wrong with using a HDMI 2.0 TV for gaming, you won't get the 120hz refresh rate and VRR that the modern consoles offer, but that doesn't mean it won't be impressive. Especially for a casual gamer.

Also worth noting there are still currently issues with HDMI 2.1 with games consoles, so even if you did want to spend extra on a TV with it, you still would face problems. For example, the PS5 doesn't even support 120hz VRR yet...and on TVs where the Xbox supports it, there are problems with the image flashing.

There's nothing wrong with using a HDMI 2.0 TV for gaming, you won't get the 120hz refresh rate and VRR that the modern consoles offer, but that doesn't mean it won't be impressive. Especially for a casual gamer.

Also worth noting there are still currently issues with HDMI 2.1 with games consoles, so even if you did want to spend extra on a TV with it, you still would face problems. For example, the PS5 doesn't even support 120hz VRR yet...and on TVs where the Xbox supports it, there are problems with the image flashing.
Thanks again really appreciate all the advice

Yes gaming is very much not a priority for me so like you say sounds like I shouldn’t worry I was just surprised that the Sony TV didn’t have 2.1

Think I’ve decided on the Sony XH9505 65” (so much for a £1k budget!) ... even tempted by the 75” due to my viewing distance

As I’ve got an interim TV for now do you think it will be worth waiting to spring in the hope of better deals?

do you think I’d regret not stumping you the extra £££ for the 75”? even the 65” is a big jump from my old 50” plasma and even bigger from the 42” TV on the wall at the moment

75" carries quite a premium, so not sure its worth it. Still the 75" LCDs are better priced than 77" OLEDs. If you view quite far away bigger is always better. Most people don't view close enough to even benefit from 4k on a 75".

As for waiting, normally I'd say its definitely worth it, can't be so confident now with the pandemic. Prices usually drop when new TVs are announced, and when they come out. But its hard to know this time because of stock levels have been affected by lockdowns.

Yes it seems a heck of a jump in ££ to 75” I mayjust have to settle for the 65”

I had read about the supply / stock impact of lockdowns. I guess I’ll just have to see how things look over the coming days / weeks.Seem to be some good deals on the 65” at the moment

I wouldn't say the deals we're seeing at the moment are good, just what you expect to pay. If you were to get a refurb deal then that's when you start to see very, very good pricing.

Those that get the absolute best deals, when the newer models are closer to shops often find new TVs for prices similar to refurbs. But of course the longer you wait, the more likely stock gets low.

I wouldn't say the deals we're seeing at the moment are good, just what you expect to pay. If you were to get a refurb deal then that's when you start to see very, very good pricing.

Those that get the absolute best deals, when the newer models are closer to shops often find new TVs for prices similar to refurbs. But of course the longer you wait, the more likely stock gets low.
Thanks dodge funnily enough I did find the Sony centre refurb place yesterday and thought I’d keep an eye on there

As I’m not without a tv I’m in no rush and prepared to wait a few months if need be to see if a good deal comes up

Called about an ex display Tv earlier but it sold ... I was offered a new 65” BX for £1499 instead?!

@Dodgexander I have managed to get an order in via Basingstoke Sony

@Dodgexander I’ve got to speak to the store on Monday to check likely ETA but I’ve got an order in for a refurbished Sony KD65A85 for £1349 (incl extended warranty). I had decided on the 65XH95 but when the A8 popped up at that price I thought I‘d better try and grab one!

I had thought about cancelling order and waiting for a refurbished XH95 to pop up hoping it would be under my £1k budget but I’m wondering if better pay a bit extra & take the A8 deal (when one comes in stock for delivery)?

I’m trying to ignore the 2021 models coming up that have hdmi 2.1 as I’m figuring I don’t need it as I’m only a light gamer and who knows how long I’ll be waiting for proces to come down to something towards my budget!?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom