My Travels with Ioniq. Realworld feedback

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    You don't see the regen adding to range really unless it's just tripped down a mile of potential range and y9u start going down a hill in which case the lost mile might come back. It's more that the distance it takes for a mile to be lost in range is longer. You do see that the cruise control does use regen though. I'd guess if you were somewhere with large sections of downhill roads or mountainous regions then you probably could see range actually going up as you go down in elevation.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    I'll post another wee update later if i get a chance. Very busy with work... First major challenge comes next week. Going to Ireland to see clients. Taking the iONIQ. I've already contacted the Eire chaege network to get them to send me an RFID card for use over there. No rapid chargers over in west wales at Fishguard...or on route up to where i'm staying south of Dublin...so it should all be interesting...

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    We've never seen the range go up, but we've often got home to find we've lost a lot less miles than we ought to, if that makes sense. e.g. range is 84, Mrs IG drives the 9 miles to work and back and the range is on 77. That's not using cruise control though, just max re-gen.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    Not everyone has a Henley Block Stuart, we don't and I had to look up what one was when you posted your video. I assume if you don't have one or an alternative suitable connection they can put one in? e.g. in your meter box if it's more convenient @architectfadi

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    It's exactly what he did at my house.

6. architectfadi

architectfadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that. I haven't got a Henley Block but it is very helpful to know about it.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    MY RFID card for use in Ireland has turned up this weekend so i'm good to go for my business trip this coming week...more updates then

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    Good Luck !!

9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    I wonder if @DrPhil has any tips for driving an EV in Ireland for you?

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    I've done my wee route plan and it's pretty painless. i can get from Swansea services to my friends house in Castledermot via the ferry at Fishguard no probs on one charge. Then Castledermot to Portadown i can stop at choice of two services on motorway north of dublin, both have the CCS charger i need. Charge at clients during both days i'm working there then same on way back. Easy peasy. Might even save customer a couple of quid and not bother charging at his

11. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,606
    Check on the plugshare app, the Applegreen service stations north of Dublin have had a few issues lately.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    Just realised i hadn't been updating this thread with my posts from facebooky wooky...so here you go. several in a row. Hope it doesn't bore everyone to death

thursday last week
    Ioniq Overseas: Irish business trip

I’m off on my first actual long business trip today. Back in a few days. Left the house at 5.30am this morning to drive to Fishguard for ferry to Rosslare on south eastern tip of Ireland. It was more stressful than expected to get here…i am on ferry now. Here is how it all went down.

I have already posted that i’d registered with ESB in Ireland to get their RFID card for charging over there. So that was fine. I looked at Plugshare app yesterday to see where rapid chargers are when i get there so i could plan a route and i also had a look to see what was available on the M4 corridor. I knew where the Electric Highway ones were but wondered about other suppliers as i found the CYC one i used over in Essex more rapid than the EH ones. Knowing the range i can achieve in the car now i could see i could drive all the way to Cardiff services if i needed to but leaving so early i knew i’d want to stop for a coffee as soon as possible so i decided to just pull in at Membury services on M4 near Swindon to have a quick top up and coffee and answer overnight emails. Left house with 147m range and 100% charge. Got to Membury and plugged car in and tried to start charge. Discovered my stored cc had expired so had to enter a new card. Did that and the charge failed. Unit said there was a fault and that they had noted it. Went in to car to see what it was saying and it had a warning on it that said there was a fast charger error. Powered car on and off again and re-tried the CCS charger. This time it said it could not connect and there was an initialisation error. The app was now sort of hung thinking i was trying to charge but with some error…..so i got rid of the app, reloaded and tried again. Same thing. Got in to car and the fast charger fault message was on the dash again. By now i’d wasted about 20 mins and was slightly panicked about what to do. Should i drive home, get Melanies car and move ferry to the late crossing or should i press on. I knew i had enough capacity to easily get to a CYC charger just off M4 at the Bristol Science Park. The slight worry though was that yesterday i went to Waitrose where they had a Polar charge point and three of the four bays were full up when i arrived. I took the spare bay and went to lug the car in there. That’s when i noticed that the Outlander pHEV beside me was plugged in to the wrong side of the post. So i had to attach the car to the other side. Did all that and went shopping and when i came back the car was reporting a charger error. I remembered this as i sat in the car on M4 wondering what to do…was the Ioniq broken or were the chargers broken. I decided that as PHEV man had used wrong side of post it was likely that post was bust…and by co-incidence hopefully this CCS on M4 was also bust…so i pressed on. Got to the science park, tapped the RFID on the CYC charger and CLUNK….cable locked and power starts flowing. By time i had got laptop out of boot and powered up to check email i’d already got around 60% charge. I answered 3 emails and then it was all done at 94% charge No idea how fast it actually was but it seemed super fast. Left with a range of 139 miles for the trip to the next charger at…

Swansea. Arrived with 41% charge, plugged in, did a magic dance to the EV gods and set the app to go….CLUNK…started charging. Went to the services, got a coffee and went back to car. Got laptop out to work out how far to my final destination in Ireland so i could work out when to stop the charge as i didn’t need to get to 94% this time and with the new charge structure based on kwH rather than time it would make sense to just take what i need. Having looked at it i decided to stop at 85% charge as that would be more than enough to get all the way should i not be able to get chargers to work in Ireland with my new card. Just ask was putting the laptop in boot and heading over to stop the charge the EH unit stopped working. It just cut off and said on front that there was an error with the car!..I went to the car and it had a FAST CHARGER error on it….mmmm…anyway, i had enough charge so i am now on ferry…and it’s already getting bashed about and we’re only just getting out of the harbour. Captain has warned us it’s not going to be pretty…oh well.

Arrived at ferry with 47 miles range left…having done 246 miles at 4.8mi per kWh. That was doing pretty much 75 or just under or over all the way on motorway and 50-60 on the A roads. 11-14 degrees temp and rain on last 70 miles of journey. It’s 58 miles to my destination once we make land so i will need to charge..but i am planning on stopping at Enniscorthy where there are a selection of 22kW posts. So a short trip to the shops there and i’ll be fine….presuming the car isn’t actually broken….

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    +2

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    same day
    Looks like it's all going well again. Arrived here with 18 miles left in tank. Might have a coke to celebrate before the final 30 odd miles to destination
    [​IMG]

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    Friday morning

iONIQ abroad morning update:

Long day yesterday having left house at 5.30am for drive to ferry and then up to Castledermot. Charging at my friends house meant hanging my 13ampsocket charger from window and then an unwound 10m long extension cable to a socket in office. I plugged in as soon as i arrived at 8.15pm and the car said 13+ hrs to fill charge. After 1hr and some dinner i was falling asleep and checked car. It had added 10% more capacity. I knew i couldn't leave the ownstairs front window open all night and i was already passing out asleep so i decided to have a shower and give it 1hr more as that would give me a nice excess capacity to get to nearest rapid at Tesco Extra at Naas 32 miles up the road in the morning. With a full charge to 94% there i could get all the way to Portadown. So last night at 10.30 i unplugged the car to discover that it had hardly charged since I checked the balance it was at before my shower. It had 39 mile range and the rapid was 32 miles away so i decided to just go to bed and risk it in morning.

This morning it's cold, wet and headwinds. Got in car and started off. It's virtually all motorway from my friends to the Tesco Extra in Naas so i thought it'd be plain sailing...however, at this time in the morning on the first section of motorway there are no trucks..in fact there is very little traffic. Doing a steady 55 and coasting whenever possible the range was going down bit by bit.....as usual, at 15miles range left the low battery warning comes on. Doing maths in my mind i can see it says i should arrive with about 3.5 miles left. The motorway joins on to another main one heading to Dublin a few miles before Naas and at that point i merge in behind an arctic doing 60 and it's game on. I just hypermiled a couple cars lengths behind this thing all the way to the junction for the Tesco and got here with 5miles range left. Plugged in and swiped my RFID and off we go. Only problem is the big tesco here is not 24hrs. I arrived at 7.05 ish an the place just opened...no cafe open so no friend breakfast...Costa doesn't open till 8.00am....there is a McDonalds over the road but i am not subjecting myself to a Macy Mac Boak face meal. So it's a can of coke and a twix. I'll get enough charge to head further up the road to another rapid on motorway t the north where i know they do food.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    same day
    just finished coffee and went back to check state of car and the charger appeared off! Jumped in car and it turns out it was fully charged which is why it stopped when I was having the drink! These chargers are fast!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    Ioniq Overseas: Irish business trip

So arrived at customers in Portadown this morning and set about doing my tasks for the day. He kindly let me plug the car in to a 13 amp socket in his garage and i left it to sort itself out. I actually had enough charge to get to hotel for night, then back to his in morning then down to rapid charger on M1 south to Dublin but I wanted to just make sure charging was working. All fine as it happens.

Wasn’t feeling great in early afternoon so we went to pharmacy for some “drugs”. The client is a bit of a petrol head with a nice nutter car so i let him drive. He liked it i think. Maybe he’ll comment. Anyway, got back and plugged it back in and when it was time to leave for hotel it was full up. My pedal to the metal driving today has had an effect on estimated range now though…

Tomorrow is audio calibration day at the cinema room i’m working on then drive back south.

Gordon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    iONIQ Abroad daily update…..CHARGER RAGE!!!!!! version

Got up and went to clients to finish off the calibration of his cinema, having done the video side of it yesterday. Really enjoyed doing the audio side today. For those remotely interested it was a KEF R700 Series based Dolby Atmos 11.1 system with an Arcam AVR550 (client supplied) I was going the DIRAC room eq today. Sounded amazing when i left.

The car had a pretty high state of charge when I arrived in the morning and by time to leave it was at 100%. Estimate range was 137miles and it was 102 miles back to the rapid charger 30 miles from my friends house down in the south at Naas tesco. I drove leisurely down the road an got here with 47miles left estimated range. I actually had enough to get to my friends house without stopping but i thought that seeing as it’s free to charge and a full charge from a socket in her house would cost her money, it would be fairer to just use the charge point at this Tesco as i had to go in to get shopping anyway.

So driving up to the charge point i could see two identical Leaf’s in the two bays at it. I could see one was plugged in with no-one in the car and the other had a guy sitting in it, waiting i presumed. So i parked in a normal bay an went over to ask the guy how long he though he’d need to charge. He hadn’t seen i was in an electric car and presumed i was asking how long it would take to charge a Leaf. He explained it depends on charger and how low battery is and then asked why i wanted to know at which point i explained that it was because i needed to charge my car and just wondered how long he’d be. At this point he started going on about how he was waiting for the woman with the other Leaf to return as her car was fully charged an had been for a while. He said he’d arrived at the bays at the same time as her and she saw him drive in right beside her but she’d just plugged in an buggered off shopping. He had presumed she would come back when it was done but she hadn’t. So i went in to get shopping and thought that when I came back if the other Leaf owner wasn’t back i’d just try to drive the rest of the way to my friends. On coming out of the shopping centre i saw the guy unplugging the other Leaf but still no sign of the owner. Anyway, he plugs his in and starts charging at which point the owner of other one turns up an starts complaining that he’s unplugged her car…so he explains that she should not be leaving her car unattended plugged in to charger blocking the bay. She says that it’s an electric bay and she can park there as long as she wants while car is plugged in…he’s having none of it and says that this may be true of a slow charger but not a rapid like this one. So she storms off leaving her car still in the bay……At this point i decide that i’ll go back in to tesco to get some ice to put in my cool bag as this may take a while and i want to get come beer to take home with me….So i nip back in to shops after taking a picture of the offending vehicle. I thought i might be able to find shopping centre manager to get them to hail her to come and shift it. No sign of anyone….until i come out and find the woman, flanked by two security guys all having an argument with the big guy. So he starts explaining to them that her car was full charged and she wasn’t there and that folk should not be using the spaces as ev parking bays….and after 5-10 minutes of this circular argument the security guys agree with him and she gets in her car and goes…so i move a bay over and unlock my charge port door at which point the big guy stops his charge and lets me plug straight in as he’s been arguing with her so long he’d got enough charge to get home.

I can see that the problem with free electricity in Ireland is that at chargers like this in shopping centres on a saturday afternoon there is a definite likelihood that you’ll get issues like this with folk just using the charger for free energy because they can rather than plugging in at home. Of course i don’t know if that was the case here but it did look like she was here to do her shopping while the other guy was on way back from airport to a town further south after dropping his wife off and I was en-route to the south as well with enough charge to get me there but only if i drove super efficiently rather than normally.

So Car is now at 132 mile range and 94% charge. I’ll do the last bit to 100% on trickle at friends house. Got to go to Gallway and back tomorrow.

EDIT: Additional info. It appears that my understanding of the charger rage incident may be incorrect. Feedback from an IRISH EV user group would suggest that what i saw and the information i was given from the "MAN" may have been false. Or rather what i saw happened but that the guy had unplugged the Leaf while it was still charging. I did not know that was even possible as you can't with an iONIQ. The other party "WOMAN" claims the guy was aggressive and shouty. I would say that he was a large 6.5 foot tall eastern european chap but he was pretty pleasant when talked to him. I could see that he may appear intimidating. if it's true he unplugged then that's not particularily fair. I have left comments further down thread about this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    A sneaky peak of clients cinema. Its Oppo205, Arcam AVR550, Kef r700 series, Arundel Sub (i think...it's great whatever it is), Epson LS10500 and a Lumagen Radiance Pro. All calibrated and set up by me and installation by client (forum member) and his mate.
    [​IMG]

19. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    Todays post

iONIQ Abroad daily update…..Fast and the Furious, Knitterati Edition

Glad to say that normal service has been resumed. Left with full charge this morning to drive the 124 miles over to Galway and 124 miles back. Having had a quick look at options i decided to stop at a services off the motorway about 40 miles outside town. I could charge to 94% (the top charge amount for rapid charging) and then get in the city and back for charge at same place on way back home.

I arrived early doors and the local convenience store/garage it was at were just getting the bacon and sausages all frying up for their wee restaurant but it wasn’t ready to serve yet so i made do with a twix and a coke and answered some emails. As i was doing that a guy in a tricked out NSX turned up to fuel his car, back fires on the throttle release as he pulled in etc… he fuelled up then pulled up beside me at the exit on to the wee road and revved the nuts off the thing an let out the clutch. Unsurprisingly the back end swung way round and he was almost pointing at 90 degrees to the road before he caught it and sent it in completely the other direction. So he S shaped his way up the road in a cloud of smoke (there are houses beside this place….). I am not sure if he was intentionally trying to leave the S shaped marks all up the road or if he was just a tool. It would seem to me that if i wanted to do donuts and burnouts i’d wait till there were folk to watch my skills rather than coming out of a petrol station in a small village before 8.00am on a Sunday morning.

Anyway, charging complete i headed off to Galway and did the job and then came back arriving around 1.30 with 40 miles range left. Different place on my return. Queues of cars at pumps making it hard to get over to where the EV station was. Cars also parked up all over the place. Turns out the wee restaurant is quite popular with the locals. As i topped up the car for trip back a guy stopped beside me and wound down his window. He wanted to know all about the car. Usual questions about range and time to charge and also about costs. He was in an old Toyota of some sort. Looked like he was in his late 60’s. Very interested so he was. We chatted for a good 10 minutes and his neighbours were passing by beside us leaving and shouting “ get a petrol car” to him….so i think perhaps he was already considering the possibilities before he spoke to me.

So i headed off home (or to my home from home in ireland). On the way to Galway i’d driven through side of a small town where i saw what looked like a bicycle covered in knitting. On the way back the sat nav took me through the town and out the other side and i went past the bike again…and then i went past more bikes, kids and adults, and trees and bins and park furniture and wells…all covered in knitting. It was fantastic, like a Dr Who scarf was slowly slinking through the place devouring everything in its path. On way out the other side i came across these huge knitting needles with a ball of wool lying on a piece of grass at entrance to the town. Made a change from the wrought Iron arches celebrating the battle of the boyne up in the north LOL. No idea what it was all about but it just made me happy.

Tomorrow i head home. Trip back should be much easier than trip here. i will have enough charge to get to ferry and on to Swansea and the first rapid charger. At which point i will have many to choose from. Just hoping for a calm crossing this time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    +2

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  20. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    Thanks for the update Gordon, you have an audience of at least one :D:thumbsup:

21. architectfadi

architectfadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Make that 2 [emoji3]

22. Alan CD

Alan CD
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,819
    Thanks for the heads-up on your experiences driving an EV on long distance journeys. Very useful information and exactly what I like to know on all the details - like trying to use a supermarket charging point on a busy Saturday!

Your posts are a wonderful example on how a forum can provide and lay down user day-to-day knowledge on new technology that anyone who is interested can access.

Thanks Gordon :thumbsup:

23. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,606
    Sorry I've been away all week, and crazy busy since I got back.

I would have warned you about the Naas charger. Never had to use it myself but it's semi-famous/infamous in the Irish EV scene as being horribly located due to the Tesco.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  24. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    It'd be good if you could add journey times to the posts, or, even better, what time you arrived at each recharge point.

25. Stupid61

Stupid61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Gordon, I've been following your thread with interest. I love the idea of the fully electric vehicle, but sadly it's impractical for me because I can't park off-road. Wife and I are thinking about the hybrid Ioniq, but I find the slight lack of acceleration somewhat unappealing.
    As a complete ignoramus re. public charging points can you give an idea of how much a charge costs from, say, 10% - 94% using the various different companies' facilities?
    Keep up the interesting thread!

26. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,708
    Thread tidied

27. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    The man was a large eastern european chap but i didn't hear him raising his voice and shouting. I also cannot confirm whether the Leaf was fully charged, just that the other guy said it was. I was not aware that you could unplug a charging car unless it has completed the charge. If that is the case then i must apologise to the woman and the other guy should get the brunt of our collective anger if indeed it's true., although it is a bit crap to walk away from a charge point to go shopping when you see that another car has turned up that might need a charge and then you go off for 45 minutes (if it was 45..the guy said it was 50 as he'd been timing..but i'd have thought an empty Leaf would be past 86% in 50 mins....in fact i'd expect it would be full no?). Rapids are there to get you charged enough to get to next location. Lets Leaf it at that.

On the iONIQ the charge cable locks in place during charging so it couldn't happen with this car. I suspect the woman believed the security guards were on her side when she left then when i moved car in to place and got out they were talking with the other guy beside the pump and they seemed to be agreeing with him. I suspect it may have been a de-escalation tactic on their behalf. In which case, well done them.

Loovegroova. I will add timings in future. Yesterday would have been a good day to do that. I will hopefully do a little post today about it.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  28. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    iONIQ Abroad not so daily update…..Todays lesson…read the signs and how to Hyper Hyper mile

As hoped my drive back from Ireland was much less eventful than the drive there. I left castledermot at 5.15 am and arrived at Rosslare at 6.45am…or pretty much on time as expected. After my 10 minute, unrequired, stop for coffee i and 85 miles charge when i got to ferry. Distance from Fishguard to Swansea was 62 miles. The only weird thing that happened on the section to Swansea was that the crap sat nav took me a weird route. I wasn’t paying attention to the road signs and suddenly found myself on a mad single track country road up and down the hills. On the way to the ferry earlier in the week i’d noticed it was wanting to take me a different route to the one i usually go and i just ignored it but this time i guess i wasn’t awake enough. So instead of going along major a roads i went cross country for 25 miles on b roads. It was very scenic and when i eventually joined the main road at St Clear i was still in the parade of traffic that had come off the ferry and there hadn’t been a hit in range.

I arrived at Swansea with 28 miles range and set charger to go and went in for lunch. One burger king later and a trip to get provisions for journey from wh smith and got back to car with it saying charge would be finished in 4 minutes. All done i got in and set off for Bristol Science Park CYC charger 102 miles away. In my travels so far i have found that if you want to conserve energy you need to either drive sedately or find a bus or truck to go along behind slip streaming. If you do that you can easily increase your potential range from what is estimated by the car but as buses and trucks are limited to 56-60 miles an hour it’s pretty tedious. So this time i found several white van man drivers in tall transit’s and VW panel vans…along with some big SUV guys who all were doing 80ish. Now, if you put your adaptive cruise control to 85 and one or two blocks of distance you can basically fly along behind them and the range seems to stay the same. My 5.1miles per kWh on this section of the journey was done with me never really going below 75 except in roadworks and most of the time (whisper it quietly) it was over 80. I was astounded. You do need to be on the ball though because as soon as the lead vehicle gets away from you the car gets super inefficient at those speeds. It helped that it was a clear 20 degree day of course but i was really astounded at the speed i covered that distance.

As i said before there is not much around at this charger. There is a Science Museum but i chose to open all the windows and the boot to get fresh air in car and i sat and had some coke out my cool bag and answered some emails while car charged. I am not sure how long it took as i wasn’t paying attention but i’d estimated 30 mins in my plan for the day so it must have been around that. Charge complete i headed off for home…and as i left heading up the hill towards the motorway there was a sign on the road saying ROAD CLOSED AHEAD. Well i thought, no problem i’ll just go further and see and if it is i’ll spin round. So i kept going, past a road off to left with no sign there saying road ahead was closed for folk coming down it to meet this road…so i keep going…for about 3 miles i think….at which point there was another ROAD AHEAD CLOSED sign. I ignored it and kept going and once i went round the next bend…THE ROAD WAS CLOSED. So i turned round and then had to work out how to get the crap sat nav to re-route. Eventually sorted it and the 102 miles to destination that it now said became 112. I had 125 miles at this point as it’d been all uphill to this turning point. No probs. Back on to the motorway eventually and a few more vans to help me out and i got home with 32 miles left

29. Alan CD

Alan CD
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,819
    So speed makes a big difference to the range, which is understandable.

Useful to know that tucking the car behind a lorry/large van travelling at 70 - 80 mph on a motorway and staying there really increases the range. Again it makes sense, but when driving a ICE car it's not the sort of thing one thinks about, but with an EV it seems to be an important point.

30. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    IONce you start going above 55 in any car i think the aerodynamics start to have a major effect on efficiency. This is true of any car. Inmy old passat if i drove efficiently at 60-65 on motorways along in left lane only pulling out to ov ertake slower trafffic i could get about 55mpg. If i tanked it down outside lane it'd be around 40mpg or less. Difference was that i wouldn't need to stop in 120 miles if i did it.

I've never had a car with adaptive cruise control like this where you can set distance from vehicle in front and just let it get on with it. It makes a big difference. I am not tailgating vehicles. On the shortest gap setting you are probably 4-5 car lengths from vehicle in front at 70-80 and on next gap lenth more like 6-8 dependant on speed. It does make a difference though and allows you to make good progress. If you were in a Tesla with a 300 mile range then it would be pretty much irrelevant in that you could drive at 80 with nothing in front as a wind break, take the hit on range and still you;d likely want to stop for a break before you ran out of energy. The hypermiling thing is just required right now with these cars. 12 months time it will all change.