My Travels with Ioniq. Realworld feedback

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    it occured to me that although i've been posting on Ioniq Facebook group there may be folk here who are interested in the real world use of a full EV by someone who does actually drive much further than the average person every day. So If you will indulge me i'll put up a few of my posts here in order so folk can see how i've been getting on and what i've discovered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    So I'm back after my trip to Ireland last week. Even though it's a holiday weekend there is no rest for me as i stupidly arranged a job yesterday weeks and weeks ago when i hadn't realised it was actually a holiday. Good news though is that it was an excuse to drive the new car.

My confusion continued on friday night though as i set the car to charge and turn on air con for my 9.00am departure...except i set it for sunday, not saturday..doh! Luckily it was already at 99% charge when i got in it in the morning. The client was 63 miles away so it'd be a 126 mile round trip. Got in the car with it registering 134 mile range

The drive to the town in Kent where was going was virtually all Motorway and large dual carriageway A roads. Only last 2 miles was town driving. I cruised at between 60-70 all the way there with brief stint up to 75. Then as i got closer to target i hit major traffic due to Kent Flower show...so that was crawling at stop start for about 3 miles. That helped up the range a little on way there. Arrived with 80 miles range left having done 5.6 miles per kWh.

Journey back was no traffic and i drove 65-75, mostly just under 70 all the way back. Got home with 21miles left having done 5.3 miles per kWh on journey back. All this was done in Sport mode just using re-gen paddles to slow down and turning it off to coast whenever possible. i've noticed that the wind resistance slows down the coasting method much more than i expected at high speed while at sub 60 it feels like the car will just keep rolling and rolling.

Temperature was around 21c on way out and 18c ish on way back in evening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    So here is todays update from Planet Ioniq. I had to go to Gatwick today to pick up Melanie, as i posted earlier. Got in car and put aircon on, range dropped from 137 to 135 miles. As it's 32 miles along A3, M25, M23 I decided to just drive fast as i would in the old diesel. So it was 75-80 all the way with some bits lightly above 80. No hold ups or queues so fast journey in outside two lanes. Arrived with 102 miles range left. So my heavy right foot didn't lose too much range.

I'd noticed on ZapMap (app that shows all EV charge points in UK) that there were charge points at Gatwick run by Pod Point. As i had registered with PodPoint and downloaded their own app it seemed churlish to not make use of one. Checking on Gatwick website i discovered the locations (in ghe short stay car parks at north and south terminal) and also that you could get your parking ticket validated for free parking of up to 4hrs if you had an ev and used the charge points. it seems this is Gatwick trying to lower their carbon footprint ....might need to do something about the planes i think!

Anyway, the charge points at South Terminal (4 of them are located in the level 1 Orange car park special area...right by the elevators. So i just drove in, parked up, plugged in and left having noted the name of the charge point. (all pod points charge locations have names to identify them). Once i got up stairs a couple of minutes later i logged on to pod point app and started charge. 1hr later Melanie collected, back to car, unplugged and range was back up to staggering....113miles. Still, it was free...but best bit was the parking would have been £12.00!

So we headed off, this time with Melanie and about 50kg's of luggage. the first section of M23 to M25 was slow, 30-50 miles an hour crawling traffic. Once on M25 though i basically did 88-90 all the way back in outside lane in flow of traffic., then 70-80 up A3 to home. This time we went down to 82 miles. So less of a loss of range..i guess that short 35-50 stint on M23 more than made up for the pelting it on M25

Off to south London tomorrow....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Todays update on car....Honest, i'll stop this quite soon i think...

Drove in to Shooters Hill area of South London today. Didn't go route sat nav said and had to take a short detour of half a mile to drop off a box at couriers. However, essentially it was the same route there and back.

I decided to stick car in ECO mode and leave re-gen braking at level 2 (out of 3, where 3 is max force). So no coasting this time, just one pedal driving. Got in car with estimated range on full charge of 135 miles. Journey ended up at 114 miles round trip.

First leg was mostly 65-70 on motorway and 50 on A2 in to London. Arrived with 85 mile left after having done 58 mile of driving. Second leg was pretty much the same and arrived home with 33 miles left. The efficiency on way back was slighty more than way there

What have I learnt. Well, that if you just leave the car in eco mode and don't really pay attention to driving efficiently it works amazingly well. Also, I find the "feel" of driving with the re-gen on not as "smooth" as with it off. It does feel weird, like the car is pushing against some invisible force...almost like you are decelerating while you actually are not. It is effective though, that is obvious. So tomorrow is the re-run of last saturday except this time i'll do it in ECO mode using re-gen like i did previously.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    So here is todays update. If you are following this you'll know that last week i had to drive to Sittingbourne in Kent, along A3, M25, M26, M2 and A249. Last section about 2-3 miles through the town. 126 Mile round trip.

This time i did the same journey in eco mode with re-gen braking always on full (3). Speed of travel was 60-70...didn't have any fast stints over 70 at all. Temperatures same as last trip, 17-19 on way out and 21-22 on way back.

Left with full charge and range estiamte from car of 137 miles. Got to destination with 80 miles left having driven 64 miles
    Drove 63 miles home and had 19 mile range left. So that would have equated to actual range on this journey of 146 miles....more to follow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    OK EV fans….back to work after my birthday break and stories to tell. Today i had to see client in Suffolk. 252 mile round trip. So well beyond the 130-150 range of the car in one go. If there had been a charger at the location, north of Ipswich, I could probably have done it in one charge but there wasn’t. So, after looking at the ZAPMAP I noted there were two CCS chargers en-route on A12 between Colchester and Ipswich. One was an Electric Highway unit like you get at motorway services and the other was a CYC unit. As i’d never used a CYC one and as they are supposedly faster with my car, i decided to have a go at one of them…and there is where i had my first real problem in EV land….but first.

I left home with 139 mile range, fully charged. The plan had been to do cruise control v human control on this trip but that went out the window as i forgot and had left the manuals for how to set it all up at home and i couldn’t be bothered trying to play around with it while driving. So instead it was just a drive to work and back and a test of different charging station provider. I got the CCS at Colchester Football stadium with 29% battery capacity left. That was a 100mile drive. It was another 27 miles to the clients and obviously 27 back to the same charger. So I actually wouldn’t need to fully top the car up, i could just add enough range then top it up to full on way back. Now for those two don’t know, ZAPMAP gives live info on chargers in use when they can get it from provider and they also allow folk to give feedback on the use of the charge point so you can see if it’s been working recently or if folk had problems. CYC who own this point were bought by Polar a while ago and i saw in the comments that someone said they had used their Polar Plus RFID card to charge successfully at this charger. So last wednesday i applied for one of those polar plus things as they do a 3 month free subscription. The dongle thing turned up in post yesterday morning. Happy days i thought…except when i got to this charge point and presented the card it was rejected as unrecognised. Mmmmm..not happy. Tried again…same thing. Now i have a CYC app and account so i decided to just use that to get charge going then i’d call Polar customer services to ask what was going on. I called up the charger on the app and started the charge session…but the machine wasn’t making any noises like it was working and i could see the car wasn’t charging. Looking at the app it now said there was a Chademo session in progress! For those who don’t know Chademo is an alternate plug and protocol used by some non European manufacturers. The charge points have three flying leads and you choose the one you want to work in the app or on screen of the charge point. So i cancelled this false Chademo and tried again, doubly making sure i chose the CCS option. Again it said I had a charge session on Chademo and there as no charge happening…so i cancelled it again. By now i’d wasted about 10 minutes and was getting a little frustrated. So I started pushing buttons on the unit itself but to no avail…so i tried one last time and this time the app told me to follow instructions on screen…and i did…and it started charging. So i phoned Polar Customer Service to ask what was happening. Phone was answered very fast and I explained what was happening. Gave him my card ref and he informed me that the CYC and Polar companies are not fully integrated yet so he’d need to let them know my card details for their other system. I then asked him why the app wasn’t working properly and he told me he was support for Polar, not CYC and that i’d need to call CYC about that. So the charge session continued and it got to point i wanted to stop it so i went to the CYC app and selected to stop the session…and it told me there was no session running…as the car was charging it would not let me detach the locked in place cable! So i tried locking and unlocking car etc..no luck. So again i called up and asked the polar guy if he could stop the session remotely. He had a look, logged on the charger at his end and informed me he couldn’t and that i’d need to call CYC customer services. So i hung up and did that. Got put on hold for 3- 5 minutes. Eventually a voice asks if they can help and i explain what’s going on…and at that very point the charge stops as the car has reached max charge from rapid of 94%. So i disconnected and asked the guy what I should do when i stop on way back. He suggests calling the pay by phone number on side of unit…

Journey continues to client and then back to the charger at lunchtime. I am prepared with a hot sausage roll and cold can of coke. I plug in the charge cable and decide to just try the Polar RFID card in case, by some miracle, the intervening four hours have been enough time for the systems to be updated…and lo and behold…it worked. 20 minutes later i’d had lunch and charged from 58% to 94% and was back at 130 range for my 100 mile last leg home. By this time i was just wanting to get back so it was aircon on and 80 mph back wherever possible. That took a thump out of my great average rate and it lost 10 miles of range as i got home with 20 miles left…

The Polar/CYC rapid did seem much faster than the Electric Highway one so i’ll now look out for more of them. I also need to look in to the other benefits this POLAR plus subscription thing gets as i think you can get points to allow you to go in a lottery for a Model S for a week….and i quite fancy that….

So the 250+ mile round trip was actually very simple apart from the first rapid stop…but now i’ve got a handle on that I’m sure it won’t be a problem at next one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    +3

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Tales of the Unexpected: EV Edition.

So last night i had a look to see where my destination was for today. Answer was 81 miles away just outside Bishop Stortford. So with a 160-ish miles round trip i knew i was going to have to charge on the way there on on the way back. Electric Highway chargers at South Mimms and at Bishop Stortford services so it wasn’t going to be a problem at all. Just had to choose which one…although i was pretty sure i’d do Bishop Stortford as that would be simplest for me and i was sure i’d get up to close to full in the 30 min charge so i could just boot it home.

Left the house with range estimate of car saying 135 miles. As i was driving in rush hour traffic down A3 to M25 and along M25 i was going 40 miles an hour or less most of the way until l got to jct12 of M25 (M3 exit). After that it all freed up but as traffic was till quite heavy i decided to just stay in the left lane and coast long behind large trucks. After M4 exit i noticed my range and not really dropped that much and i was effectively “gaining” range. So, as i had loads of time, i decided to see just what you could do if you wanted to be one of those pita drivers who tailgates trucks. Except I wasn’t driving half a cars length behind them. I left between 1.5-2 car lengths. I can say that this does make you concentrate and i was particularly paying attention to when the truck signaled to pull out so i went before them, allowing them to pull out in front of me. My main reason to do this was not to keep my position behind them but to make sure i didn’t die by ploughing in to some stationary vehicle in front of them that i could not see but that they may have been trying to avoid hitting. I’ve heard too many stories about this sort of accident and they are not pretty. Th is slow driving at 56-60 miles an hour added 10 minutes to my journey time to client. I arrived having driven 80 mile and with 77 miles range left (not enough to get home without charge). I’d done 6.5miles per kWh on that leg. Wow…I impressed myself. That would have put potential range for today from 135-155 miles. i added an extra 20 miles!

On leaving the customers i thought the opportunity was too good to miss so i decided to try the same thing home. As my last rapid charge was going to be at South Mimms I decided that if i had not got estimated range left to be over the actual miles to home i’d stop for a charge there. As it happens i had moved the deficit to positive by 4 miles by time i got to South Mimms turn off…. and then the wind got worse and it started to rain. Oh well i thought, i can always head up M40 to Beaconsfield if range starts going back other way in these now adverse conditions. As it happens i shouldn’t have worried. I just kept on trucking…and arrived at the supermarket 0.5 miles from house with miles to spare. I had driven 161 miles on a single charge and still had 13 miles of range left. Super wow…174 miles. The warning low battery message came on as i came off M25 to the A3 heading south for home (about 3.5 miles to go). This was all done in SPORT mode with the region at 0 and only using two to slow down on hills or when traffic was slowing or nutters were ramming there way in to the gap between me and the truck.artic.horsebox.bus. in front.

Conclusion. Well it was good to know what’s possible but i won’t be doing it again. I’d rather spend the 30 mins at a charger and have a coffee then drive normally. Would have taken almost exactly the same time and would have been less stressful. I do now know that if i do have to eek out miles to get to a charger further away than expected it can be done…as long as you are on a motorway that is busy with arctics…

Tomorrow is an easy wish day as it’s 120 mile round trip and i can charge at clients if i want as he has an external 13 amp socket at his front door.

Hope this installment was useful!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Will leave it at that for now. Hope you find it interesting

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,921
    Very interesting and thanks for the heads-up.

Your experience with the charging against drive lengths shows there is a little stress involved not to get caught out with little charge left. Also to plan ahead and check out locations of charging points.

Would you feel that a range of (say) 260 miles would stop the anxiety and make things easier - more in line with driving an ICE car?

In other words, what would be your preferred driving range on your next EV purchase?

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Actually the stress is not really that high at all (though it was at first but it's pretty much gone now after a month of driving). The main stress was caused by me trying to see how far it would go needlessly, so self inflicted. I have never actually felt that i was going to be stranded or out of fuel anytime. With my old diesel Passat i still checked where i was going the day before. It's only added about 5- 10 minutes to my planning to decide where to stop if i need to each day. The stress has mainly been in learning how to get different charge solutions working but once you've done it once it is pretty simple to do it again.

You want to stop after 120-150 miles of driving anyway usually for a coffee so the actual range is far less important than the amount of range that can be added when you do choose to stop. It looks like i could do 150 miles comfortably with my supposed 130mile range car and 180 if I pushed it. The current battery capacity is actually pretty OK if there were more chargers around and the ones at services were 100kW ones not 50kW ones that run slower than that....i'd say a 200 mile capacity would make me happy enough as i'd know i could boot it a bit and still probably do 160 miles range before a short charge. If there were 100kW chargers around my car could add 120 miles range in 20 minute stop. That is barely enough time to go to loo and get a coffee....

I am looking forward to end of this year when there are more options as my wife's car is starting to die a slow death and i suspect we'll replace it with a longer range ev if we can afford it then we can share the miles. I'm having to limit mileage on Ioniq as my lease is on 12000 miles a year...but i dread getting in to her BMW 3 series now as it seems like such a truck.

11. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,921
    OK, with a new EV, about a 200 mile range would be good for the driving distances you do currently - bearing in mind it's summertime.

Will be interesting to see how the summertime drive range compares to a mid-winter scenario.

Interested to note you can comfortably reach 150 mile range in the Ioniq. I quite often travel from Northampton to York without stopping, which is about 145 miles. Normally do the journey at night arriving in York about 10pm.

This journey then would be my benchmark range for an EV. Travelling mid-winter night-time 145 miles without stopping.

Current EVs are very close to that, but I think the next generation of EVs would see me in the showrooms.

12. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,340
    Great updates, but far too much hassle for me with such a low range. Knowing how lazy I am I would be in the sh*t more often than not! :laugh:

Like Alan, once the range increases or I win the lottery and buy a Tesla, I'll be sticking with my gas guzzler for now.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    I do 400 mile plus journeys regularly...not done one in this yet. That will be the test but i suspect i'll not be doing 400 in a day this time, more likely 250-300 ish up to Leeds/Manchester then next day up to Edinburgh. Got a holiday booked for Skye at end of August though...still deciding whether to take it for that or not.

i think that once folk drive one of these things and stop thinking like ICE drivers it all changes. Of course it's getting folk to that point and for that to happen there need to be cars with the "imagined" range capacity fol think they need.

One of my friends husbands has been so taken by my stories of how i'm getting along that he is looking to trade in his BMW M4 for an i3. He never does more than 80 miles in a day and he's keen to give it a go.

I agree that next year with several 200+ mile cars it'll all change for many many more folk.

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    Thanks Gordon for the detailed trip reports. It's very interesting to see how you are getting along "real world" with this - and that's probably better than many might expect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    last one....probably more during week.

Today's EV update. Day off work. Have driven in to London with Melanie to see the first showing of a documentary her friend Agnes co-created. In Central Covent Garden area so we came in early to go to National Portrait Gallery. Only saw about three quarters of one floor. Have to say the George Stubbs was undoubtedly the King of Selfies back in the day. Incredible painting.

Anyway left the car in underground parking with free polar charging! If only the parking were free!

[​IMG]

16. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,921
    Hmmmm...

Either the Ioniq is a low-slung car or you're quite tall - the photo tells a story!

:D

17. architectfadi

architectfadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Very helpful, thanks. What is the advertised range on the Ioniq?

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    i think i was holding phone up high to get good angle for the shot of charge point on wall....i am not tall and the car is not low....lol.

19. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    124 mi (EPA)[16]
    160 mi (NEDC)[1]

i think Hyundai say 130 real world but i'd say it's closer to the NEDC one

20. architectfadi

architectfadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I tested the Nissan Leaf for four days and I was really impressed with the EV technology. Did you get a fast charger installed at your home?

21. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    yes i got a Pod Point on side of garage. It was done at no cost. The supplier of the car said the Hyundai had stopped giving them away free but i filled in the online order form on PODPOINT website and when i put in the make of car it changed the price to ZERO. I never questioned it and just filled in all the ev grant application form and then called PODPOINT to clear some things up and it all went through fine.

22. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    Mine was (almost) free as well. Almost - because the cable length was going to be a fair bit more than is "standard" as was the routing (involving a fair bit of digging) so I did have to pay £105 towards it. All I need now is something to plug in to it.

23. architectfadi

architectfadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Was it easy to connect to your consumer unit or did the have to do extra work? I m only asking because my consumer unit is in the kitchen the opposite side of my drive and will probably require some internal work to get the connection sorted. How quick is the fast charger? I do apologize for all my questions.

24. architectfadi

architectfadi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Did Pod Point do the work before you buying the car?

25. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    The car is ordered. I'm not expecting to actually see it until September. In my case, the installer added a connection block and circuit breaker (a second "consumer unit", if you like) into the Meter Cabinet (which is exterior on my property) and ran the armoured cable from that. The Pod Point is a 7kw unit (so that's a 4.5 hour charge or thereabouts).

26. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Yep mine's the same as LV426. Only issue with mine is that the main fuse for the incoming supply is rated at 60amps and the installer said it needs to be 100amps to cover potential load of charger being on plus other stufff in house. So he downrated it to 3.5kw just now. I am having a new meter installed end of month and will get spark to fit the 25mm cable required to distribution box then UK Power networks will come out and change the fuse for me...then i get PodPoint to come and flick some switches on teh charger to make it full speed

27. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,761
    We paid extra to have the 7kWh charger but it seems that was for the heavier weight cabling as the difference within the PodPoint is just a flick of a switch as noted above.

28. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    This was from yesterday...

EV Update: Service Resumed...

So todays trip was more of me testing how stuff works in the car and more importantly how well it works. Off to see client in Abbots Langley, north west side of London inside M25. Left at end of rush hour around 9.00am so heavy traffic on M25 to start and i decided to see how efficient the cruise control was there and back.

I’ev had cars with cruise control before but never one where you could tell it how far to stay away from vehicle in front. You get four levels of distance. Presumably the distance varies with speed but i found doing about 50 mph it was around two cars length on one block. I decided that was too close during rush hour as it left just enough gap for the crazies to ram in and out of in a dangerous fashion, so i set it to 2 block…which seemed much safer. Traffic was going 40-55 pretty much all the way to Heathrow turn off after which it sped up and i set the max speed to 70mph and let it get on with it. After a while i realised that i was basically driving along behind slow traffic at 60 ish so when i saw a chance i pulled out and the car sped up to 70 until to came to more traffic where it slowed down. I have never been in a car that slows right down to a crawl by itself, then speeds back up along with the traffic. It was quite weird at first.

I also noted that it is obviously completely reactionary and i could see problems about to unfold that it had no idea about but i let it all happen just to see what the result would be. Unsurprisingly the car reacted just at the point i was heading fro brakes myself as I didn’t think it was going to be recoverable. This first issue was when i was in second of four lanes driving along around 58-60 mph…the van in front decides to pull over to first lane leaving large space between me and the vehicle way in front of him. He did this just after we’d passed an exit so it was obvious there would be traffic now about to come on to the motorway in left lane and i could actually see it starting to sweep in on the left… so he pulls over, the car sees empty space and starts to accelerate to fill the gap and catch car ahead at which point the tool in the van realises that he is about to have a shed full of cars trying to come on beside him so he just pulls straight back over to my lane, except he hasn’t appreciated the speed of the Ioniq…so there is about a cars length in it when he appears in front of the cars radar….i am heading for the brake pedal when there is rapid deceleration from the cars re-gen and it moves back to the normal gap. You sort of get lulled in to thinking it’s some sort of autonomous vehicle when really it’s just very simple and very dumb. Lesson learned. Anyway, i left with 140 miles range and arrived with 106 miles left having driven 41 miles (slight detour due to traffic at one point). 5.3miles per kWh efficiency.

On way back i set speed to 72 and made better use of traffic. By better use i mean i didn’t dawdle in slow lanes doing 60 I actually tried to stay at around 72 mph behind traffic whenever possible. Return journey was 38 miles and over all the efficiency stayed the same and got home having done 79 mlles total with 67 remaining in estimated range. So i geeked out an extra 6 miles but basically doing nothing except choosing what lane to be in. It was pretty painless and i think i’ll use it on long souless journeys up M6 and M1 but i am sure i could have done better myself easily. I need to find a route to try that on sometime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,543
    The podpoint charger has a separate RCD fuse connected to the Henley block. It doesn't have to be near the consumer unit. Where is your Henley block? You can see our installation here
    Electric Hyundai Ioniq owner's vlog #2:...

30. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,543
    I was going to ask you whether you noticed the regen braking in cruise control adding to the range