1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Tosh's is ignoring HDMI :(

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mark_a, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Came back after a four day absence to find my brand new Tosh 52" isn't playing ball. It works on all inputs fine except now it won't recognise anything's connected to the HDMI port. Which is a right git as that's how I feed it from my Lumagen. I've confirmed it's not the Lumagen as I plugged that into my Sanyo Z3 and immediately up came the Lumagen menu. Plugged it back into the Tosh and nothing, zip, nada. Also tried my Panasonic S97 directly with HDMI, it ignored that too. Tried switching off the TV at the mains and leaving it a few moments. Still didn't make it want to see anything on the HDMI port, though everything else is working fine.

Ho hum, I guess it's back to pointless phone calls to RGB-Direct, followed swiftly, no doubt, by a call to Toshiba to send someone out.

Doesn't anything work properly these days? :(

Regards

Mark

2. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey

The HDMI on my TOSH also failed, I had to have a new one installed.

3. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, feel for you, and feel the same, first 36inch panny went poof at xmas (3 weeks old) 4-5 mths later tosh plays up, get another one, lasted 2 days, bought a LG LCD TV for me daughter last week, guess what, soon as you moved the screen it went off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:

Del

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Left it an hour and went back and damn me if it didn't work straight away. I think unusually I turned on the Lumagen first and then the TV. Normally I turn on the TV first, then everything else. Perhaps the HDCP got in a tiz and sulked for a while? Anyway, rechecked again this morning with breakfast TV and it worked fine again, having turned on the TV first.

I dunno now if it's a 'feature', a bug, a symptom of something slowly failing, or what? Being all electronic I'd guess it either works or it don't and if it's working again then all's probably well.

La di da, la di da.

Regards

Mark

5. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have my own personal thoughts about this new HDMI connection.

I personally don't think its very reliable at all, and I reckon we will be seeing some serious issues with this new connection in the months to come - especially when Sky begins to broadcast HD.

I owned the Tosh 46wm48p for about 4 months, and during this time had it linked to the Denon 2910 HDMI player. I experienced problems whereby the picture would flicker off for a second or two at a time, but the sound would continue. But i couldnt reproduce the fault by replaying the section of the film which it occurred in. I returned the Tosh because of the blurring, got the Sammy SP50L7 and it happens on that to. I wouldn't say it happens as often on the Sammy as it did on the Tosh, but only last night i watched D-Tox, the film was fine all the way through until right at the end when the picture dissapeared for about 2 seconds, and then returned.

I personally don't think its a problem with players or TV's, i seriously reckon its a problem with the technology behind the HDMI connection. And i reckon its only going to become more widespread when HD kicks in next year!!

Come back RGB Scart - all is forgotten!! :smashin:

6. splash39

splash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have had similar problems with the HDMI input on my Tosh 46wm48 and sammy 850 but it started from the very first time i used it. Initially it would work fine after a couple of resets switching power off etc and for a while everything was fine. Now it will not show any DVDs the initial set up screen is fine with the Samsung logo but then as the film plays the screen flickers between black and blue screens, the only exception is home burnt DVD-r which play everytime :confused:

Still waiting a response from the engineer who said he was going to contact Toshiba

7. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll add my HDMI troubles to the list. Had my Toshiba 52WM48 for about 4 months or so and bought a Panasonic S97 at the same time.

Hooked up S97 via HDMI (supplied cable) and got a really great picture. However, at random times, not repeatable, the picture would 'drop' out for a very brief time.

I initially thought it was the S97 at fault - I mean, would a £2000 TV be at fault? Anyway got a replacement S97 but exactly same fault. TV supplier sent a fancy 'better' quality HDMI cable but same fault with it.

Unfortunatlely, my TV supplier (BuyYourAV) has now ignored further emails to try and resolve the issue.

I am currently using the S97 via component and am happy with the quality, but, considering that one of the main reasons for buying the Toshiba 52WM48 was for 'future proofing' - it is a pity the whole experience is marred by this problem.

8. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I didn't get a cable with the Denon player - so i had to buy one seperately.

I purchased a 1 metre QED cable at £50 - they go upto about £300 for a 1 metre cable!!

I very much doubt its the cables, as if a £50 cable can't do the job, then theres little point in having this technology in my mind! Even a £1.99 scart lead from Argos shows the picture 100% of the time!

9. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Just bought a 10m HDMI cable and couldn't believe how slim it was compared to the 10m component lead I wasted £60 on two weeks ago. The HDMI lead produced a much sharper, cleaner picture and not a hint of drop out as I fed my Z3 and watched both parts of CSI, last night, in 8ft wide glory. :)

Anyone wanna buy a 1" thick 10m component lead and a JS component 1 to 2 buffer that are now entirely surplus to requirements?

Still wish I could find a reasonably priced HDMI equivalent to the component buffer, but I sure as hell ain't parting with £215 for one.

Regards

Mark

10. AndyP123

AndyP123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Soni,

Make sure your Denon 2910 is always outputting NTSC, not Multi or Pal for video. I used to get the same issue when the DVD did the layer change. Now I have no problems at all.

Give it a try.

Andy

11. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Andy, i'll give it a try. Do you also have the 2910? If it was due to the layer change, wouldn't it be easy to reproduce by replaying that part of the film?? :confused:

The most annoying thing is i can watch a film from start to finish with no problems at all, then on another occasion it will happen 3 times in one film!

12. AndyP123

AndyP123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Soni

Yes, I have the Denon 2910 also with the Tosh 46wm48. Similar to what you had at first I believe. I've been having some major problems with the Tosh though. Picture on it is terrible, colours aren't correct, digital artifacts everywhere. It not the tv as I have seen one working properly which is fantastic. Trying to sort it out with Buy Your AV at present but its been a week and 5 calls and not even received a call back!! Toshiba don't want to know neither. :mad:

It only used to happen to me once during a film, but since I changed the setting there is no sign of layer changes at all. Just keep it on NTSC even for Pal discs as I do feel that this will make your system run smoother.

Andy

13. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll definately give it a go tonight - as i've got about another 100 titles or so to watch yet - been bargain hunting at bootfairs - you'd be surprised how cheap you can get (ORIGINAL) titles for - and there in perfect condition - example: T2 (2 disc in metal case) £2.00!! :smashin:

I'll let you know how i get on tonight :)

14. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right guys, i've just watched 'Tears Of The Sun' via HDMI with the 2910 switched to NTSC as recommended, but before i report i would just like to say what a fantastic film Tears Of The Sun really is - it really is great!!. From the beautifull panning right at the beginning with the aircraft carrier and jets (made my stomach go up and gave me that WOW factor - thought i was really flying!!), to the fantastic surround sound of the birds in the jungle (listened via 6:1 Surround - got a 7:1 system but the Denon 3802 matrix's the centre rears into one and creates 6:1)- i would highly recommend this film! :smashin:

Anyway - the verdict! I noticed a slight juddering on panning - must be similar to what the Optoma suffers when playing NTSC. At first i thought it was the way the film had been shot, but when i stopped the film, entered the DVD setup menu, and changed the setting back to PAL, it was beautifully smooth again. I would rather put up with 1-2 seconds of picture drop out every hour and a half, rather than have the whole film ruined by panning judder. Its stupid - i mean come on, should we really have to compromise! :suicide:

This is 2005, not 1950! (not that there was anything wrong with the year 1950 by the way :rolleyes: Apart from not having DLP :D )

15. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there guys,
    Just to let you know I have a similar statement about the HDMI issue on a thread I started only a week ago or SO.
    Hoping Soni will see it and let me know how often his blink appears to be.

I was troubled to see Andy, Mark_a , soni, splash, same setup as Les, bar mines a 46WM, having all the same ISSUE. i.e. HDMI signal black blip.

As my other thread states I have 40quids worth of Profigold HDMI cable and am trying it tomorrow with a £5 HDMI from ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNTaG93UmVzdWx0cw==

IF, and I am almost dreading the moment of dismissing the cable and taking the next step of proving the S97 players worth. Oh, Les, I know how you feel mate.

As Soni also mentions, should we , the customers who spend thouuussssands of pounds, our hard earned cash, on a technology which should increase our viewing pleasure, and HAVE TO PUT UP WITH that BLACK BLIP.

I for one played the NEW TOSH 46WM, my 3rd and final one, bought last week Thursday, only twice from the S97 player, and in both cases the Tosh was NOT as bad as the predecessor, but STILL managed to BLACK BLIP 3 to 4 times on each film.

Personally, I am NOT F''ing happy about it, and if it means, like we are all proving it is, that HDMI signal is producing this BLIP for some reason, and no
    ONE MANUFACTURER is taking account for the blip or even aknowleding the BLIP, then I am afraid that I would rather dump DLP and look for an alternative.
    Problem with that is that DLP does produce very good images on Profigold - Sky+ and X-Box.

Would there be enough pressure on the Likes of Toshiba , Samsung and the others, if we were to tell them, that unless they are going to start solving this problem, we the people who have got the problem, will start bad mouthing the Manufacturers.

I am in the lucky position of having a few friends in the city who work for the national papers, and on a couple of occassions have asked them wether they would be interested in doing an article on HDMI and ITS FALLDOWNS, to which they responded, '' give us the AMMO'' and we shall print it within 3 months of building a story.

I have the gun, but dont want to use it. BUT unless TOSH, SAMSUNG and the others can start to admit or acknowlegde and work on this ISSUE, i do wonder if a NEWSPAPER article would help to prevent thousands of people to beware of buying technology that doesnt SATISFY.

One last thing to think about. HDMI from DVD players do show the BLACK BLIP.
    Any one out there that has a Satelite feed with HDMI to the SET????????
    Would be interesting to know what they say.

I am sure SKY will have looked at HDMI and DVI and done tests with their SKY BOXES and various TV SETS. I wonder what SKY make of the black blip issue ?????

I am so wound up now, its untrue :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

16. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since your HDMI REPAIR, has the problem gone ????????

I assume this was repaired on your DLP set and not other sources .

maidstoneman30s

17. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is hard to call, since there may be numerous happy users out there who don't have the HDMI problem, but even so, there may be enough of us disgruntled users from this forum to push the issue with Toshiba. They wouldn't be wanting a bunch of disgruntled users advising against their product in a widely used forum now would they? Especially if the issue was to make it's way into a national newspaper or two! :clap: :clap:

I wonder how many of the owners have actually verified if HDMI actually works on their set? I wonder if any owners have a set with a fully functional HDMI interface? I wonder if I will ever buy a Toshiba set again?

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Maidstoneman & Les

My 'blip' is very unpredictable. I've watched loads of films without any problem at all, and then all of a sudden i'll watch one and will get 2 'blips', one after the other!

I tell you what would be very interesting - if we could find out if HDMI Plasma owners have experienced any blips! :smashin:

19. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes mate, first they took it away, then they asked for me hdmi player and lead :mad:

They then returned it untouch & unfixed cos they couldnt test it.

It was fixed on-site, it works fine now.

20. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont suppose, the engineer who fixed it on site left you with a repair REPORT????
    If you have, at least I would have some confidence in ringing Toshiba, getting them out to my set and ask the engineer to fix my problem, rather than return it and get something else .

Any contact numbers you still got would be helpfull.

:smashin: maidstoneman30s

21. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    He had to order the part, and install a new hdmi board.

22. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: :smashin: Elephant Man,,,,,, :smashin:

I will try and find out a little more and see if I can get it repaired. Or dig around more and see if I am definately going to change it.

BUT, cheers for that, thats definately good info

maidstoneman30s