1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Toshiba RP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Kevo, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Purchased a Tosh 40WH08B abd DVD Player package back in December from Courts for £1699.

I didn't really need the DVD player but after selling it to my brother it worked out cheaper than buying the TV on its own.

After nine days the TV pic went blue with a series of white arcs on it. :mad:

Sent it in for repair and Courts loaned me an identical, albeit a display model as they had no more new ones in stock.

Got my original set back just after Xmas, but STILL faulty.
    This time picture had a green cast (like The Matrix film) and a blue flash would appear frequently. :mad: :mad:

Sent it back again and had it returned last week.

STILL NOT RIGHT !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Still has the blue flash and pic is out of focus.

It's now in my hall awaiting the engineer and possibly a Tosh engineer to have a look at it in situ.

In the terms & cond. it states that if the set is is irrepairable (as it seems so here) then they will replace it with a new or equivalent model.

The 'equivalent model' here is the new 42" one, but Courts won't replace it unless I pay the price difference, as it's a more expensive model!!

First they said £200 (and give up the DVD player that came with it), I said £50 and I keep the DVD.
    Now they've got back to me saying that as mine was on a special IFC offer they couldn't replace it with the new one at all.

My other alternative is to keep the loan set, which is a superb pic and i'm quite happy with.
    There's just a few scratches and chips on the case (no image burns) AND have £100 refund OR a £200 Courts credit note, which is what I'm thinking of going.

So, in effect the TV would only cost me £1375,
    (minus the £200 cred note and £125 for the DVD).

Your thoughts/advice on my dilemna is more than welcome.

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Buggers,

"Replace" should mean that and not any further exchange of cash. The DVD player should have nothing to do with the matter since it will have been given to you "free" on purchase of the TV.

It's worth clarifying what they mean my "replace" and "equivalent".

Replace should mean "swap"

Equivalent should mean "same specification". Now if your model was, say, the entry level model by Toshiba and that has been discontinued, they should replace it with the new entry level module. If it's a 42 inch model, then so be it.

I'd push for a new model and avoid the loan set, it could hide all manner of problems.

3. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    #1 - This is why I don't buy from Currys/Dixons ect... they are all shocking.
    #2 - INSIST on a new tv. You should not have to accept a damaged tv after only a couple months of usage. You have allowed them to attempt a repair a few times with no sucess. That therefor entitles you to a new tv. Oh and by the way, about the "special IFC offer" ?? Complete and utter crap. This make NO difference at all to your statutory rights and tell them that yourself. Man, these companies are cowboys and shouldn't be allowed to get away with this kind of crap. Speak to trading standards if you like and they might be able to tell you a little more regarding your rights ect...

Btw if you end up getting rid of the tv altogether buy it from TV+Video Direct. Their prices are cheaper, they deliver next day and if anything goes wrong they are fantastic at sorting your problem out. Their #'s are - 01204 394422 / 01942 602076 / 01204 395999

Hope things turn out well.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been on to CAB and they say my only legal entitlement is for a complete refund and cancel of agreement.
    Anything else is negotiable between me and Courts, i.e. they don't have to replace it with an 'equivalent' model. :(
    This was actually said by the said the sales assitant when he was explaining the terms of the ext warranty and is not in black & white.

So, I have the choice of...

Take the money (cred note) and run

OR

Get a refund, upset my brother who has the DVD player and start looking all over again for a new set, which I don't relish for one minute. It took me months to decide on this purchase, plus be without a TV for a while :(

May go for the first option.
    I've got the engineer coming round on Sat, so maybe i'll get him to give it the once over, then again this is the very same engineer who couldn't fix, (yet thought he had!) the original set.
    Maybe I shouldn't let him go near it, but I did want the screens swapping over as the 'loan set's' has a few marks on it.

Or I could get a Tosh engineer to give his 'seal of approval' on the loan set, at Courts expense of course.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS !

5. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They told you that you are entitled to a refund ?? Take the money and run mate. Listen, as I said in my post you can get the tv a few hundred quid cheaper at that place, next day delivery. Then with the money you have left over you can buy your brother either the same player or an even better one. I really would run for my life from Curry's if I were you, but to each their own. Phone TV+Video Direct and check the price for the 42" widescreen tosh. I believe its something like £1350 inc next day delivery. Your call mate. Do that and you've got 300 notes in your back pocket for a DVD player or whatever. :D

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the other replies, take the money! Then go to Sound & Vision, Bolton for real service an excellent range and good prices. Tell them what has happened and they will be sympathetic.