• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

my Tosh 36ZP48P came on friday, my problem and help if you could...

Poobik The Hare

Standard Member
bought it from Empire Direct (£897.84) http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/TOS-36ZP48P.htm

got in from work, built the stand, tried to lift the TV onto it with help from the wife (why no handles as the thing weighs a bleeding ton :lesson: ) and failed. got son to come around and managed to do it with his help, centred it, put the 2 screws in that fix it to the stand then realised that I had not put in a couple of plastic buttons between the TV and the stand :smashin: (as my son had by then gone, I was not going to remove the TV to fit them... ). connected the DVD, Video and Xbox, turned on (noticed problem with screen) and went to auto tune (bit of a failure), ended up doing it the manual way.

the DVD etc all do what they should and I'm more than happy with the sound (once I realised that I had to select Dolby from settings :suicide: , also 4 nice speakers).

so, to the help and problem solving....

when I have a blue screen (it shows as different colours when a TV picture is shown), all down the right hand side of the screen and sticking out 3 inches or so onto the screen it has a green tint (much like the effect you get on a PC monitor when it needs to be degaussed). since Friday it has improved much, but the green still shows in the top and bottom corners (a couple of inches). so to the question, has anyone had this problem and does it fix its self (i have turned it off each night and turned it on in the morning) or does the engineer need to be called in?

finally, can anyone point me in the direction of the best settings they have found for this TV

thanks in advance
Jeff

p.s.
why no bliddy wheels on the base :lesson:

TheBaron

Well, congrats on the purchase of a fine TV. Mine came on Friday too but I switched it on and checked all was OK, :lesson: BEFORE I built the stand and lifted it up (with the help from the Bro in Law) :hiya:

Anyway,take down the contrast to about 50 and reduce the sharpness if the picture is too 'frizzy'.

Put on a decent DVD and fiddle about a bit :eek:

The green tint sounds a bit like it needs deguassing ? :confused: . Give it a few days and if still the same call out engineer :devil:

PS the buttons on the stand prevent the TV from sliding forward so you may want to get them in :suicide:

PPS I know what you mean abou the wheels, when moving it the bottom shelf was droppping off :oops:

Mrhappy37

Hi Poob, love the user name. Green patches Hmmmm! First make sure that there are no magnetic fields near the tv (speakers, transformers,etc). Unplug the tv overnight for a couple of nights and this will almost certainly cure the problem, as indeed it is a degaussing issue. My settings are 55contrast, 55brightness, 46colour and +6sharpness. When setting these, switch to picture mode 3 first as this turns some digital mode off (cant remember what its called). I also found the green needed turning down in the service menu, as on certain programmes people looked sick with a green tinge.
Hope this helps,
Clyde. :thumbsup:

BrianPK

Hi Jeff,

I had a similar problem with my 36ZP46 - severe degausing. If this hasb't cleared up completely within a couple of days of delivery, get back on to the supplier.

My TV settings are very similar to Clyde's.

Regards,

BrianPK

Poobik The Hare

Standard Member
C.Wolf said:
Hi Poob, love the user name. Green patches Hmmmm! First make sure that there are no magnetic fields near the tv (speakers, transformers,etc). Unplug the tv overnight for a couple of nights and this will almost certainly cure the problem, as indeed it is a degaussing issue. My settings are 55contrast, 55brightness, 46colour and +6sharpness. When setting these, switch to picture mode 3 first as this turns some digital mode off (cant remember what its called). I also found the green needed turning down in the service menu, as on certain programmes people looked sick with a green tinge.
Hope this helps,
Clyde. :thumbsup:

service menu?

bye the bye, the screen has not improved any further and i shall have to get onto EmpireDirect in the morning

regards

B

bluedog

Using video essentials my settings were

Cont 48
Bright 54
Col 49
Tint -9
Sharp -18

Don't suppose you've worked out Sky+ handset codes have you, can't seem to get it to work on any of the Toshiba codes I can find, 4 or 3 digit.

Mrhappy37

Poobik, the service menu is supposed to be only entered by a service engineer. You get to it by pressing the mute on the remote once, then pressing it again and holding it whilst pressing the menu button on the tv. In this menu you can adjust the colour and geometry.

Bluedog, I also used the dve disk, and also found -18 to be the sharpness figure, but when I put a normal picture on with that setting it just looks blunt and drab so I now use my own preference of +6. When looking at the colours on the dvd test did you find green would not set up properly, but the red and blue were perfect using the colour filters?

colesy

I had exactly the same problem on my 1st 36zp48, only difference was mine was a red on the right hand side, and the diagnosis was the tube was knackered. A replacement TV was sent and that was spot on. Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom