1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my thoughts on the show

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clancol, Oct 17, 2003.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok. I went to the entertainment show in manchester today to have first look at projecters.
    first of all, congrats to sony-denon-marantz-mission-kef- and some others. These companies showed up and made nice presentations. with all/most of their products
    I'm after a mid priced projecter.
    so after drooling over marantz's new dlp the domino and also yammie new baby the only other projecter to look at was the sony hs20 which by the way is very good.
    my point is panasonic had three plasma's, sharp had four.
    That was it.
    Zippo
    a couple of naff plasmas
    after seeing what sony and marantz could come up with you would think that they could have done better.
    a real let down, and im not the only one that was miffed.
    Anyway it look like its up to the Z2 to stop me from spnding all my money on the hs20.

2. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Where is this show this year ?

3. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well it was the entertainment show in manchester!

4. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Erm.. I realised that ! Your use of the word 'Manchester' alerted me.

It doens't matter now - its the Renaissance Hotel on Blackfriars St.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi Clancol

Ive been quoted £2300 for the HS20 projector. Is that a good price? have you seen/been quoted better? and where?

rgds

s.

Edit note...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, i had a chat with a pj owner today that is moving over to plasma cos hes sick of having to shell out £500 everytime the lamp blows!

Bloody hell, is that quite common then? Don't fancy that every ten minutes. Can any pj owners comment on this?

Ta.

6. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

With regards to the user who has bulbs blowing regularly. Quite simply this should not be happening! It is likely he either has a faulty projector, or he's committing the cardinal sin of unplugging the projector before the shutdown cycle completes. The shutdown cycle is critical in digital projectors. Without it the bulb, which is still very hot when the projector is powered off , simply overheats and cooks. When the shutdown cycle runs correctly the fans keep air flowing around the bulb for a few minutes after the power off instruction is given, bringing down the bulb temperature safetly.

I've had a digital projector for about 18 months now (a Sanyo XP-21) and I've had one bulb fail, which was due to a manufacturing fault in the bulb. This was replaced under warranty and my projector was only down for a bout 7 days. I now check the bulb monthly just to ensure the replacement has no problems, and so far everything's fine.

With regards to the show, it had a couple of very pleasant surprises for me. I've steered clear of DLP projectors for the last couple of years simply due to 'Rainbow' problems. I'm pretty susceptible to this and it makes my eyes tired and causes a headache after I keep watching for over 30 minutes. Not much use given that I can spend 4 - 6 hours straight watching movies on the big screen at the weekend. I saw both the new SIM2 Domino and the Yamaha DPX-1000, and neither of these had 'Rainbow' problems. Both used 6 segment wheels and both used high speed wheels. In both cases the image was very smooth, movement was fluid and there was no sign of twittering around the edges of dark objects on bright backgrounds, with good colour saturation.

I also saw the HS-20, and yes, this is a real treat. It's HDMI equipped and delivers a good image (though the conditions I saw it in were not ideal with some ambient light in the room) but at a little over £2K street price it represents excellent value for me.

Also take a look at the Pioneer 868 DVD player with DDPD and HDMI outputs. It's a universal player delivering SACD, DVD-A and DVD-Video in one chassis. DDPD gives the 868 Faroudja Cinema Source like digital scaling internally, allowing it to try and match the optimal resolution of an HDMI equipped display device using handshaking protocols between the two devices. In the event you are using traditional Component outputs I understand you can tell DDPD the optimal screen resolution to drive and it will deliver this on the analogue outputs. Given that the Digital Cinema SOurce player is £10K over here and the Pioneers retail was quoted to me as a shade over £1K, this Pioneer is going to be a big hit in the high end market. Also on show is the new Denon A11 universal player with a similar HDMI output and digital scaling system, this time using a genuine Faroudja chip set. Suggested price on this will be £1,500, but it's built like a tank and looked fabulous.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dave

7. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    snow man.
    its available on
    www.unbeatable.co.uk
    for£2210

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Yes I enjoyed this show and there were lots to see. Some of the highlights for me ( sorry this is a bit long )

1. Sony Room
    Here they really had a home cinema where you got the feeling it was like a cinema. It was a 12 foot wide by 8 foot high screen and the projector was a HS10. It looked really good and got me thinking that the standard 7 foot screens that people recommend is not right and the bigger the better. I couldn't see any panel structure either for such a big image. You did have to sit about 20 foot from the screen though for it not to be too big though

2. MJ Acoustic room
    This was a great room. They were showing off the NEC HT1000 dlp projector on a 9 foot screen and I couldn't see any rainbows ( normally I can ). The speakers sounded great where they had 2 reference 1 sub-woofers at the front and 5 of their Pro Cinema 1 speakers ( that also come in different colours ) around the room
    It all sounded ace and they were showing Pearl Harbour

I would have bought everything in that demo because it sounded and looked brill

3. Sim2 room
    Well I was excited to see the new Domino because I had heard they had reduced the rainbow effect down and from my viewing of it I could not see any rainbow ( after all the normal testing for about 5 mins )
    So that was really good news to see that perhaps at last the rainbow problem has been cured ( similarly on the NEC HT1000 I couldn't see rainbows )

The Domino was indeed a very nice picture with high contrast and nice

They showed also their 8000 pound one ( sorry I didn't get the name ) and this seemed to be a touch better with better contrast and picture and is the one I would buy given the choice ( but not at the price )

So I was pleased on the DLP projectors I saw for the rainbow

4. DLP rear projection TV
    I saw this and funnily enough it did have the rainbow. Never seen it before in a TV

5. Bose Adaptiq
    Bose had another good trick up their sleaves with their new Adaptiq software. It lets you record positions in your room into some software and then the box of tricks they have processes the rooms environment and makes the sound good for the room.

They proved it by actually putting drain pipes on their speakers and then when they hit a button the sound was clear again ( still with the drain pipes on the speakers ). It seems a really clever bit of software

6. Bose 321 system
    This seems a really nice system if you just have a television as they just have one box that can play music, DVDs and has a radio and it comes with 2 speakers. You don't need to spend money on other things like amplifiers etc ( cost is 1250 pounds )

The speakers try to position surround sound around the room for DVDs. It doesn't quite do it 100% and the only problem I could see is you would hanker for the back speakers after a while

As it just uses 2 speakers there was no center speaker so all the problems associated with center speakers sounding flat and dialogue been hard to understand is not a problem with this system

It seemed to play music very nicely and was just a small box so is not complicated to work

A 2 speakers at the back option would be a very nice addition later for this package

7. Yamaha MusicCast
    This seems a really good idea as you can burn all your cds onto a music server and then you can set up speakers around your house and then use a remote control to listen to music in the room you are in. The music is transferred via wireless so there is no cabling.

8. 3 chip dlp projector
    Saw this 3 chip dlp projector costing 20,000 pounds and the picture was quite nice but I wouldn't say stunning

Still nice to see one on the market at last and who knows in 5 years time they might become more main stream

9. Where were Panasonic projectors
    I really wanted to see the AE300 but there were none. It was a real disappointment because I couldn't compare against the other projectors I had seen

Conclusion
    --------------
    Great show, the things I had wanted to see like a lack of rainbow on dlp projectors came true

Listened to some great speakers ( particularly MJ acoustics )

9. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know how anyone could complain about a show that cost £3 to get in, i spent more time at the show this year than last. there were a few absent companies this year, sanyo for one, but if you looked at the magazines it told you who was there.and on which floor.

10. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I enquired at the Practical Hifi desk and they were taking preorders for the HS20 at £2577.

On my way home I checked into Sound and Vision in Bolton and they will be charging £2200.

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Practical Hi Fi's Bolton branch will price match Sound and Vision on all kit, and give very good service and backup.

Heard too many angry punter stories over the years about S & V to risk using them, as well as being fed a load of **** from them about DVD players when I was buying my first player, so I tend to get a quote from them and buy from Prac HF.

12. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I enjoyed the show except for the dodgy sales tactics at the IXOS stand.
    They said they'd do me deal, and then tried to sell me a £25 RRP S-Video cable for £30. Then they wanted £40 for a scart cable that normally costs £33 (i didn't realise this till I got home).

Anyway I bought the 2 items for £55 thinking I'd got an absolute bargain, only to realise I'd have got a better price if I'd bought from practical Hifi.
    Why do some companies try this.... all its done is made me not want to buy anything IXOS again. Trivial I know, but thats the way I tick. I like honesty.

I didn't like the Denon demostration as they played everything at too high a volume and I wanted to put my fingers in my ears.
    It was the same kit I have at home and I don't think they did it any justice.

I was most impressed by the little Marantz projector on demo.
    They played the first title from the Animatrix which looked stunning with excellent detail in the dark scenes.
    I got home and tried the same clip on my Sony VW11 / grayhawk screen / CC40R filter, and wanted to throw it in the bin.

The real boon was that my £3 entrance fee bought me 3 free HC magazines that would have cost over a tenner.

13. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Ditto the Denon demo.

Oppressive and sub heavy.

14. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Did you go Friday/Sat/Sun

I went on Saturday and thought the NEC sucked big time. Washed out. Looked almost blurred TBH. The subs sounded boomy and the speakers were ok but i preferred others at the price. Certainly compared to the HS20 and Sim2 Domino the NEC was a dud. The Domino is a blinder. It looked superbly cinematic and I suffered none of the dreaded rainbow effect that I've experienced on previous PJs.

The domino was in a class of its own (IMHO). I though it stood up superbly to the £20000 piece of kit in the Denon demo (which WAS too loud at the front) But I think the sub had been turned down while I was there as it hardly made a peep.

BTW Did anyone else like the Revolver speakers on the top floor?

I also thought the Acoustic Energy Evos good value. Didn't like the new KEF torpedo shaped lifestyle speakers mind. Too hard and harsh for me.

Just my tuppence

Chris

15. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    what were they all using for the demo material (i.e movie wise)
    apart from animatrix
    thanks

16. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    They had some interesting movies

New Italian Job movie
    Idiana Jones
    Chicago - in fact I bought this after the show because of the clip