My thoughts on Rock Band

DpM

Got myself a second hand copy of RB from the classifieds after getting GH:WT so I thought id post my thoughts on it and a question or two.

The set list is good id say as good as GT:WT but with all the extra content it wins. I have only downloaded 4 chili peppers tracks so far but would love to get the Nirvana pack soon (when I can get some more points). One thing struck me though where the hell is Smells Like Teen Spirit? Seems to me that track was a no brainer to include in the pack, surely they will bring that out soon?
I have enough points for one more track but can't decide which one to buy out of about 4 :rotfl:

I have been playing both RB and GH:WT on easy first and I have to say RB is much easier, I get perfect on almost every song compared to GH:WT where I have only managed to do so on 3 or 4 tracks (dont' worry I have moved up to medium now, im progressing slowly). I do find the tracks more fun to play though dont know why this is.
I prefer how the button presses are indicated on the road map (sorry don't know the official term for it) I find there easier to read. I also like the inclusion of the power bar that shows you how much overdrive you have, GH:WT could do with this feature.
I also love that the solos are scored at the time you play them as a percentage. Over all I think all these things make RB edge it over GH:WT for me.
I have played as lead Guitar is there a way to play as the Bass now? I can't see an option, I created a new character but did not get the choice.
I have two guitars could me and another person play through the tour one as lead one as bass?

I did chuckle when playing Still Alive the track form Portal.

Also did anyone manage not to laugh when playing the track featuring Timmy? I know I failed :rotfl:

Over all a superb game and ill look forward to getting RB2 at some point and seeing what other modes it has.

To think I was one of those people that thought id never get one of those stupid plastic instruments :D
I may one day have to get a second hand set of drums.

Slyboy

DpM,

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I too was a cynic and thought I would never get into plastic instruments, especially as I do play the real guitar. Saying that though, once I got Guitar Hero 2 I was hooked.

As for drums, I thoroughly recommend it - they are even better than the other instruments, so much so that I splashed out a stupid amount of money on the Rock Band 2 Ion drum set.

As for your query on Bass. if you only have Rock Band 1 I think I am right in saying you can only play bass on World Tour mode and not Solo Tour. This sucks. Hence in Rock Band 2 you can play bass in any of the modes. I know you have only got RB1, but II recommend RB2 as it has all the shortcomings from the first game fixed and all the DLC works with it. It can be had pretty cheap now if you get a 2nd hand copy.

Craigy

Distinguished Member
Rock Band on Medium Drums pee's all over GH:WT on medium drums, the note list is all over the place in GH (Check out that Willie Nelson song).

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Cheers Slyboy. I will get a copy as soon as I have finished with this one.

They really have the game sewn up with the fact you can use the purchased tracks in the second game :thumbsup:
If you want to play through RB1 then fair do's, but if you just want enjoyment of the Rock Band game, i suggest you leave RB1 and get RB2 straight away.

Unless you have someone who you can play with you at home, you wont get many achievements cos in World Tour mode, the main part of RB1, has to be played with 2 people and not over LIVE either.

RB2's world tour mode can be played alone, or with people over LIVE, its has much more freedom to play World Tour mode how you want it, you can also change instruments as you like, yes even bass.

Also, all but 4 songs from RB1 can be imported to RB2, for only 400 ms points.

I play RB just for enjoyment, not really for achievements and RB2 is the best music game by a mile, i only have GH:WT for the oasis tracks.

Last edited:

DpM

Cheers for the info. I think ill stick to RB for a bit. My brother will pop over every so often and we can play together then.
Hopfully he can do bass or lead and I can do the other.

I just want to give it a bit of time for RB2 prices to drop and RB 1 will keep me going for a bit.

stubbs99

Novice Member
You can play bass in solo quickplay on RB1. It's just there isn't a 'solo tour' like for the other instruments.
Probably best to buy a new copy of RB2 or you won't be able to get the 20 free songs if the code has already been used.
If you use a headset or use a mic stand you can do the band world tour solo by singing and playing either the drums or guitar at the same time.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice, looks like ill have to buy new for the 20 extra songs. Are they pre selected ones or does it mean you can download any 20 songs?
TBH the 20 free songs are nothing you will have heard of, if you can save £10 by getting it 2nd hand, i'd do that, then put the saves cash to DLC you DO want.

Here thay are:

* "Sons and Daughters" by The 88
* "No Regrets" by Authority Zero
* "Prequel To The Sequel" by Between the Buried and Me
* "Bounce" by The Cab
* "Get It On" by The Chevelles
* "Give It To Me" by The Cocktail Slippers
* "Database Corrupted" by Dealership
* "I Wanna Be Your Man" by Endeverafter
* "Ashes To Fire" by The Ghost Hounds
* "Young" by Hollywood Undead
* "The Feeling" by Kutless
* "If I Ain't Got You" by The Len Price 3
* "I'm Gone, I'm Going" by Lesley Roy
* "Burn You Down" by Opiate for the Masses
* "Magnetic Baby" by Semi-Precious Weapons
* "Like a Fool" by Shaimus
* "Crazy Tuesday" by Thenewno2
* "The Time Is Wrong" by Tickle Me Pink
* "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" by Underoath
* "I.V." by X Japan

Greasychipbutty

Thanks for the advice, looks like ill have to buy new for the 20 extra songs. Are they pre selected ones or does it mean you can download any 20 songs?
You select the 20 tracks from a list but i can pretty much guarantee you won't have heard of any of them. Think they're mostly unsigned or unheard of bands.

DpM

Well I have a wireless adaptor that I no longer use that will be sold to fund RB2.
Then I may awell transfer the tracks from RB1 and sell, unless anyone can think of a good reason to keep it?

What are the 3 or 4 songs that dont transfer form the original game, anyone know?

Thanks

chewyx

Metallica - Enter Sandman (probably the best song to play on drums on RB1 IMHO of course)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
Tokio Hotel - Monsoon

None of these can be transferred due to "licensing issues" (read those ****** over at activision:mad:)

Ive kept mine purely to play the aforementioned best drum song on RB1 however since i got RB2, RB1 has gone into my xbox a grand total of zero times so not really a reason to keep it!

DpM

I can live woithout those.

RB2 sound like a better option for me as it has more to do on your own.

I have the game isntalled on my hard drive will I still need the disc to do the transfer from RB1 over to RB2?

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I can live woithout those.

RB2 sound like a better option for me as it has more to do on your own.

I have the game isntalled on my hard drive will I still need the disc to do the transfer from RB1 over to RB2?
If you gonna get RB2 and do the import you dont need the rb1 game installed on your HD, so you can delete it.

There's an option to choose from the menus in RB1, called 'Export', choose that and it will copy just the songs to the HD, not the whole game.

Then just pop in RB2, and you will see the songs from RB1 show up.

Once you have done the export, you can sell the RB1 disc on, you no longer need it.

You will see screens like this....

Last edited:

piros

Novice Member
I have just got RB2 today and have been playing GH:WT for the last few months - which was my first ever guitar game. I dunno why but I am finding RB2 quite hard in a way, missing a lot of notes (is it more unforgiving than GH?)

I am playing on hard with GH:WT and done a few on expert, it just seems all wrong with RB2, hoping to give it a bash over the weekend and realise it was just a bad day today :p

So much extra content I just couldn't wait to get my hands on it, now for a 2nd hand RB1 to export the setlist :devil:

chewyx

the timing window is a fair bit smaller on rock band than it is on guitar hero so it is a bit less forgiving.

dont worry you'll get used to it. I had the same problem when i went from GH3 (which has a much bigger timing window than WT even) Also the rectangular notes rather than circles threw me at first but i much prefer them now.

You basically have to be more accurate on RB which is not really a bad thing as it will imporve your play in the long run.

Also, if youve not already done this calibrate the lag (its in the extras menu i believe) especially if your using a plasma/LCD tv. You will be suprised how much difference it can make.

markie g

Distinguished Member
Just a pointer for you, Buy guitar hero instruments. The rockband ones dont seem to be compatible with guitar hero, but the guitar hero ones are compatible with all rock band games

Anyone recommend a good way to go from medium to hard on guitar im really struggling. I lose my finger position all the time :(

chewyx

Just a pointer for you, Buy guitar hero instruments. The rockband ones dont seem to be compatible with guitar hero, but the guitar hero ones are compatible with all rock band games

Anyone recommend a good way to go from medium to hard on guitar im really struggling. I lose my finger position all the time :(
Um, I use RB instruments with GH:WT and they work fine. They dont work with GH3 or GH2 but they do work with world tour. Unless of course your talking about the wii version.

Pooon

Distinguished Member
I remember struggling with hard when i moved up from medium, damn you orange button, but the 2 tips a mate gave me which really helped were:

Move you whole hand down one button from the begining of the song, so your little finger is on Orange. On the easier Hard song the Orange is used that much but your hand is already in place for when they do come, and it is easier to move your hand up to Green than it is down to Orange so is good practice for moving your hand.

The other tip was to forget about having certain fingers to press certain buttons. ie atm i imagine your index finger is 'programmed' to be the green button and so on. This for me has taken much longer to get used to, but it does help but is very odd to begin with, again practice on the easier Hard songs to get used to it

silvercue

Distinguished Member
I have just got RB2 today and have been playing GH:WT for the last few months - which was my first ever guitar game. I dunno why but I am finding RB2 quite hard in a way, missing a lot of notes (is it more unforgiving than GH?)

I am playing on hard with GH:WT and done a few on expert, it just seems all wrong with RB2, hoping to give it a bash over the weekend and realise it was just a bad day today.
The HO/POs are tighter, but overall RB is far easier than GH. Once you are used to it. I think hard on GH = Expert on RB in terms of difficulty to play.

piros

Novice Member
Nice to see that there is a bit of a difference then! It does feel a bit 'nicer' than WT for some reason, I'm looking at getting GH3 purely for the Les Paul guitar as I've heard it's a pretty nice guitar, then my gf and can play too as she likes playing bass!

It's amazing the jump up from medium to hard can be, let alone hard to expert on some songs! :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett