1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My thoughts on Pio 668/Denon 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Spooky, May 3, 2005.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well after my question on this board regarding Pioneer 668 or denon 2910 I have since had a home Demo of both these players side by side.
    I would like to point out that I only tested there RGB ability at the mo as I have no plasma screen.
    I was really looking forward to the Pioneer and was ready to buy it but thought I should give the Denon a look over as they had similar abilities. I was therfor very suprised to find that by far the RGB picture on the Denon was far superior on my Panasonic TV. Im not sure if anyone has this combo but if you try a DVD like Blade it shows huge problems with the writing and on every DVD it was showing a "ghost" image. To say I was disapointed was an understatement.
    Sound wise during films I felt no real differances, neither was better than the other.
    I tried both on SACD and CD ability and IMHO the Pioneer would be a bit better on CD ability but there was nothing between them on SACD.
    Ease of use went to the Pioneer also but more because I was used to the remote as it was the same as I currently use, but the more I use the Denon's the more I become acustomed to it, and even then once I programme the Pronto I couldnt care about remotes ;)
    At the moment I think I will be going with the Denon 2910 and I am aware that I may need to be carefull of the Plasma I pair it with but I cannot think that the 668 would fair any better considering how poor the RGB performance was.
    Not the most scientific tests but just thought I would share this.
    Any feedback would be great
    Spooks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the 668 design is all about DVi everything else is secondary where as teh denon added HDMI/DVi to an already good player...... Both have been optimised for digital output. If your choice of DVDP now will greatly influence your choice of PDP later be careful........

3. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD, By that do you just mean you need a plasma that will support the HD output? I am getting close to purchasing a 2910 in readiness for a PV500 or (if I can wait!) the PHD8. Wouldn't want to buy something that wouldn't be compatible

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    will ideal have multipe HDCP inputs.I reallyu am not a fan of HDMI/DVi DVD players.......

5. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why's that HD?
    The reason I ask is because I've been toying with the idea of looking for a £500 Tosh SD-9500. The 2910 (or Panny S97...or even the Samsung HD945) were also in the running because of their HD connections. What would you recommend ?