1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My thoughts and Q's on my 963sa/P5 plasma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SmegFirk, Mar 7, 2003.

1. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is specifying 480p giving the player more 'work' to do, rather than having it on "unprocessed".. even if my plasma has only 480 horizontal lines?... i can see no difference, and lip sync remains unchanged regardless of 480p or unprocessed setting.

on certain discs (BTTF trilogy / Se7en and others) why would pal-prog + dd5.1 decoding be fine, but pal-prog + DTS decoding give lip sync issues... AND interlaced + DTS is less OOS but still noticable.

I thought with a 37" plasma, interlaced would be poor, especially ntsc.... but i can't see that much difference. Have i been a victim of pal-prog hype, when it is only truely useful with 60"+ projector setups?....

my original thought when buying a player was "the plasma will work on any image given to it, so get a prog scan player and let it do the work and this will reduce any possible delay (causing sync issues) to a minimum.

when some DTS tracks are out of sync, the sound comes before the picture, but the player does all the sound decoding, I just use the six channel out and my hi-fi amplifies the sound. I have always imagined that DTS is more difficult to decode, but if I get a sync issues with DTS, I assume that the player is able to output this quicker to the hi-fi than it does a Dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack.

does anybody have any thoughts on any of the points I have made...? has anybody experienced the same things?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I have some thoughts

The D5 Pannies have 2:3 detection for de-interlacing film source NTSC material accurately. So with NTSC stuff you might not notice that great an improvement. They do not have 2:2 for PAL though so you should see improvement there. If you want to see what the fuss is about play intro to.......Star Trek Insurrection R2 or Gladiator, Battle of Carthage scene.

Many DVD's whether DD or DTS encoded have lip sync errors encoded on them. This error combined with the dealy caused by the video buffering in plasma can create lip sync error you see. DTS discs , for some reason, are reported to exhibit this phenomenon quite often. Kylie Live concert disc is a prime example I believe.

Gordon

3. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting.... it is just some dts encoded discs, my tombstone vista series r1 dts track is great. newer films, released in the last eight months or so seemed to be fine if they have DTS... problems tend to lie on older films when DTS did not exist in the first place that have been given special edition treatment.

I am sure it sounds that I'm very dissatisfied, but I am very happy... it just would be nice if I was able to make use of more of the DTS tracks on offer... these seem to cause the most sync issues

I assume after reading some more that there is no point in having my progressive scan settings on anything other than 480p, if I only have 480 horizontal lines on the plasma.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The Brief period of time I had with a Philips I seem to remember that playing back PAL discs at 480P setting introduced artifacts to image. It was at Erics a while back and we had other problems so I may be confused.....

Gordon

5. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the R1 superbit 5th element dts seems fine... i guess it can be if the time is taken to do it right