My take on the Rob Green situation

Wild Weasel

My take is that it was a mistake and that's the end of it. If England played like a team and not a bunch of ball-shy strangers all the time, they'd have put 3 or 4 past the USA anyway.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've always said that he's prone to more than the odd dodgy moment and I personally would not have taken him to the World Cup. I would have preferred the experience of Robinson (yes I know he's had the odd dodgy moment as well!) as he's not new to these big occasions.

Having said that, I did feel sorry for him after the initial shouting and calling him a totally useless :censored:

Coffin

Distinguished Member
What this; we English again blaming one individual for the failings of the many? Shock horror!

It was a massive error but it happened in the 40th minute and England, that's the whole team, were pretty dire for the remaining 50+ minutes. I checked the Sky News headlines on my phone shortly after full time and I believe it read along the lines of "Green costs England opening win" :facepalm:

Whilst one can always deliberate what would of happened had they of gone in 1-0 up at half time, from what we all saw England didn't deserve to beat the US..simple as that.

I'm convinced the GK position for England is 'cursed'. The pressure on whichever player stands between the sticks is momentous, something you could argue a professional should be able to handle but we as the supporters and the media don't make it any easier. I would not be at all surprised if Green is replaced and another similar, if not so costly error, is repeated later in the tournament.

mcmi

Novice Member
The day of the game they showed some clips of the England keepers training, and Green was spilling shots then as well, nothing was sticking to him, wasnt that surprised when he chucked it in the net.

It was one mistake in the first game, wasn't as it he forgot how to jump in a quarter final. I'm sure if get plays again he'll be fine, his comments so far have been very level headed. He's fully aware of the pressures and potential pit falls of being a keeper. He'll learn from it, grow stronger and move on.

Sicknote10

Novice Member
I take it you are local then yeah Rob is a big Woking fan apparently. Started his career at Woking boys fc as well.
Yeah I work for Woking, often see Rob there
Scott Parker went with him a few times too, as Scott's brother-in-law was with Woking last season (now moved to Bournemouth)

ste v p

Novice Member
What this; we English again blaming one individual for the failings of the many? Shock horror!

It was a massive error but it happened in the 40th minute and England, that's the whole team, were pretty dire for the remaining 50+ minutes. I checked the Sky News headlines on my phone shortly after full time and I believe it read along the lines of "Green costs England opening win" :facepalm:

Whilst one can always deliberate what would of happened had they of gone in 1-0 up at half time, from what we all saw England didn't deserve to beat the US..simple as that.

I'm convinced the GK position for England is 'cursed'. The pressure on whichever player stands between the sticks is momentous, something you could argue a professional should be able to handle but we as the supporters and the media don't make it any easier. I would not be at all surprised if Green is replaced and another similar, if not so costly error, is repeated later in the tournament.
Agreed. The rest of the team were woeful - lacked any real pace or movement off the ball and it seemed as though the ball was in the air more often than on the deck being passed around. If England had performed better in the outfield then the odd basic error shouldn't matter so much. With a 1 goal lead you're always vulnerable to a freak equaliser. To be honest the USA had a few more chances than that and could have scored on other occasions.

I was very impressed with Green's post-match statment. Man-up and take it on the chin. It's a high pressure position in goal and it's not like we haven't seen these errors before...

David Seaman v Brazil (Ronaldinho lob)
Paul Robinson v Croatia missing the ball
Scott Carson ditto
David "Calamity" James (press nickname)

Perhaps you're right, the England keeper position is cursed!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom