My take on the Hitachi cp-SX5500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    "Copy of thread I posted on AVS"

I decided to upgrade from my current projector, a Plus U3-1080. After a couple of months of looking around I decided the projector for me is the Hitachi cp-sx5500. The projector arrived this mornng (UK Time) and I have now played with it for several hours. The projector is connected to a radeon based HTPC and connected via DVI and RGB (VGA). The first thing I noticed is very poor black, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as my DLP but not this bad. The black also most definitely has a purple tint to it. Apart from black the projector pushes green big time. I tested a few of my reference DVDs, Fifth Element Super bit, Shrek, Moulin Rouge. In each case I found contrast to be poor, colour un-natural, non existent blacks, noisy un-smooth quality, very unfilm like and not a patch on my old DLP. This even after calibration, which didn't help one jot. If anything the picture quality from the DVI connector was even worse than RGB. There was also very noticeable judder during pans etc, the DVI connector was the worst of the 2 in this respect. Slight tearing is also evident despite using 60Hz. Displaying a desktop screen the display looks out of focus even though it was. On closer inspection of the characters on the screen I could see very poor alignment of the panels. In fact each panel is out by about 1 pixel so that a dot on the screen would appear as

GB
    R

Other aspects

When playing with various resolutions, I found the projector to behave quite unpredictably in terms of how it displays the resolution on the screen.

I found the noise level to be quite high even in whisper mode, the slightly high pitched nature of the noise probably made it sound worse that what it is.

I tried all the various settings, including the different gamma options, nothing helped rescue the disastrous picture quality.

Power socket on the front of the projector is a pain and may make it difficult to use an anamorphic lens. I have an ISCO II but haven't tried it yet.

All in all just about the worst projector I have ever seen. Is mine a bad/faulty unit? Don't know, but its so far off the mark in so many respects that I'm not sure that I could face trying another one.

As Bjoern might put it, this projector is a Turd with a capital T.

Jeff

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sounds like you might have a duff one.
    Hope you can swap it out and try another as on paper it does look very promising.

I'm sure I've seen right angle power cords too that might help with the ISCO positioning.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Much appreciated Jeff . Hope you get shot of it no problem.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    :( I had high hopes for this. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for not falling into I have it therefore it is best syndrome. Often negative posts are more useful.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm waiting for a call back from the supplier, I have already explained the major problems to them. lets see what they come up with.

Jeff

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    PJ going back tomorrow, will try one more.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Jeff: What a nightmare.........Will they take the second back if it's as bad? Have you spoken to Milori to see if it is Dilard able?

Gordon

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    No Dilard for the Hitachi, not yet anyway. I bought it from the same projector supplier that I use at work, I've always found them very helpful. Hopefully the good relationship will continue.

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    No more Hitachis for me, I got a refund and now I'll wait for something better to come along.

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi Jeff

I happy that your experirnce with the Hitachi projector's only cost to you was in stress. Were the problems you experienced peculiar to that particular machine or are all cp-sx5500 pjs the same?

Conor

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Issues with colour, blacks, contrast apprear to be very common with this projector. Some people in the US went through 2 or 3 replacement units before getting a good one.

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    From reading some of the posts on the hitachi on AVS you find people who say its the best thing since sliced bread. Then someone else will post a few weeks later pointing out purpleness in the blacks and the same people who said how great it was originally now also say they've got it on their unit but it doesn't bother them. Like wise what sounds like banding artfifacts on fast motion.

I'm glad you got a refund no problem jeffy and it goes to show you should always look before you leap. I nearly plumped for a Sharp 9000 blind but common sense prevailed and on demo I discovered it would have driven me nuts living with it.

At this rate I'm going to end up with a panny ae100. I may well discover it sucks the big one but at least its cheap and will give me the excuse to prepare the way domestically for a superior unit ( ie a Barco 808!)