1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My take on the 4 and 5 series 42 " Panny !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dvdbrowser.com, Nov 10, 2002.

1. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into JL last week and to my surprise they had a lot of new plasma's in, WOOHOO!!
    Most noticibly was the new 5 series panny.

I'd viewed the 4 series in the same store before and thought it was impressive
    with LOTR DVD and the detail in the blacks was acceptable.
    When i saw the 5 series, guess what, yes same LOTR DVD and what a picture,
    the detail in the blacks was a marked improvement in detail( No blockiness or is it termed solarisation?)

I was also surprised to see that this was being fed thru the tuner box.
    When i asked about connections on the panel itself there was only the tuner and VGA connection available.

I then had a wonder round other sets and saw the back of what looked like more plasmas!
    Pioneer 43HDE, nice frame but the analogue terrestrial feed was terrible and the picture could not be compared.
    ( I had also heard that this model has less detail in grey levels than the MXE model so did not bother asking to view a DVD)
    Other sets included the hitachi and samsung smaller sets and these looked to small for our room.

Well, after more time with the silver panny 5 series I got even more impressed and had to have it!
    Comes tuesday and can't wait :D

I plan to use a tuner card in a PC for terrestrial programs and give TT player a second shot for DVD viewing ( ver 1.5).
    I'm having fun just now configuring my DIGN case, XP, and Girder
    Just reloaded XP and something tells me this won't be the last time i do it :)

Any one else using this combo?

Steve.

2. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you not had any flicker problems with the 5 model on bright pictures (because of the single scan)??

And also the SD models are supposed to buzz and the HD ones have fans, do you have those problems?

3. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keyser,

Couldn't here any buzz or see any flicker in the store but will let you know how i get on when it arrives on tuesday.