Question My system

d1griffiths

Novice Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance guys for the info and help as I am totally clueless about this.

I have recently upgraded some of my very old second hand equipment to a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 amplifier and a Monitor Bronze 2 speakers.
There is a huge improvement in the sound now, however I am still using a Sherwood PS9700 Turntable and a Pioneer PDR-609 CD Recorder which are both around twenty years old.
The CD player I am not too worried about as I am mainly listening to records (mainly jazz and indie).
My question is how good/expensive a turntable can/should I upgrade to. The amp and speakers were around £300 each and I don't know if I spend £600-£800 on a record player whether I will get the value of it or not.
Richer Sounds are doing the Project 2 Xperience Basic+ package which is pretty appealing but I don't know if it is going to be too much for what I am listening to through.

Once again, thanks.

If that's within your budget it's really quite a good bit of kit. You would be very happy. It's not too much because the turntable equipment can truly get a lot better as you go up in price and the differences can be HEARD.

Looking at the package on Richer Sound's website, it's a fine turntable and comes with an up-level moving coil cartridge. It appears to be a relabeled Ortofon MC-3.

You would need a phono amp capable of handling that. Most phono amps are by default for moving magnet cartridges. Almost every phono amp that can handle moving coil cartridges can also use moving magnet cartridges, but not the other way around.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Another question then. My amp which I am not going to replace any time soon is MM. Can I overcome that with a pre-amp or do I just have to stick to MM if I stick with this amp? Will any pre-amp do or do I need another big outlay (I really don't understand what difference it makes)?
Should I get a pre-amp anyway? What will this add. I don't need more volume, it's a small room and Ornette Coleman and Tindersticks aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'm more interested in detail and nuance than blowing the doors off.

Thanks again.

That's a money decision only you can make. Me, I'd look at other turntables from ProJect, Rega or Music Hall in that same price range which come with a MM cartridge and continue to use the amp you have.

Thanks for the help.
Do you know if an MC Cartridge does make a big difference in sound quality and would my amp with an MM/MC pre-amp be able to convey it through my speakers?

There's little to no detectable difference between high quality MM and MC cartridges. Just get a TT with a well rated MM cartridge and be happy. Only if you later find it lacking would you invest in a phono amp for MC cartridges and get one of those.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom