• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My sweetcorn tin labels are being eaten

Lee

What's eating my sweetcorn tin labels? It's a mystery.

corn.JPG

I use sweetcorn for fishing and they are in the shed. I've not seen any paper mache poo anywhere.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Maybe its the fish, desperate to get into it for dinner...

Enki

Banned
What's eating my sweetcorn tin labels? It's a mystery.

View attachment 645042

I use sweetcorn for fishing and they are in the shed. I've not seen any paper mache poo anywhere.

Curious vermin.

Fishing bait Rats/Mice go together so well, I was cleaned out a few years back in Ottershaw, hundreds of pounds of wrecked rod holdalls, beds chairs etc. It started off with Pescaviva labels and progressed quickly, my kit was merely the soup kitchen, same time of year as well, the property backed onto the local Christmas tree farm, they start pulling trees now!

Sonic alarms and bait goes into into old fashioned styled sealed bin these days.

Lee

I'd never of thought of slugs
Won't slugs leave a slimy trail?
There are signs of slugs (or Gastropods o_O:D) in the shed. There's no sign of trails though by or on the tins. I'll surround the tins with salt and pellets and see what happens.

If it's moths it could be a bit trickier to get rid of them. A quick google shows I'd need some bats, birds, insects like spiders and preying mantis' as well as frogs, lizards and toads. It could get a bit cramped in the shed.

snaithg

Prominent Member
My money is on "Mice".

We had a family of them a few year's back and it took around 3 weeks to "relocate" them,

They "removed" paper from all around the kitchen to make their nest (which took us ages to locate).

Graham.

Last edited:

Lee

Curious vermin.

Fishing bait Rats/Mice go together so well, I was cleaned out a few years back in Ottershaw, hundreds of pounds of wrecked rod holdalls, beds chairs etc. It started off with Pescaviva labels and progressed quickly, my kit was merely the soup kitchen, same time of year as well, the property backed onto the local Christmas tree farm, they start pulling trees now!

Sonic alarms and bait goes into into old fashioned styled sealed bin these days.
I've had rats/mice in my shed before. The buggers ate a couple of keepnets. There's been poison down for a while now and that's untouched.

Surely I haven't got mice that only eat labels.

snaithg

Prominent Member
I've had rats/mice in my shed before. The buggers ate a couple of keepnets. There's been poison down for a while now and that's untouched.

Surely I haven't got mice that only eat labels.

In our experience, the mice mainly removed paper for their nest. Do you have any/much paper in your shed ?

Graham.

Lee

In our experience, the mice mainly removed paper for their nest. Do you have any/much paper in your shed ?

Graham.
There's a fair size bundle of old papers in there (saved for decorating etc) and that looks untouched.

The last lot that moved in had ripped some black bags apart and used that as their bedding. Looks like I'll have to empty the shed and see if there's any in there. Horrible job that in case they are alive.

snaithg

Prominent Member
There's a fair size bundle of old papers in there (saved for decorating etc) and that looks untouched.

The last lot that moved in had ripped some black bags apart and used that as their bedding. Looks like I'll have to empty the shed and see if there's any in there. Horrible job that in case they are alive.

When we had mice, we used "humane" mice traps to capture them and then release them into open land around a mile away. Most nights we would usually capture at least 1 mouse.

Graham.

snaithg

Prominent Member
There's a fair size bundle of old papers in there (saved for decorating etc) and that looks untouched .....

Look for a very small hole in your bundle of papers, this is typically what they would create for themselves to act as an entrance/exit if they are removing paper from "inside" the bundle.

Graham.

shodan

Distinguished Member
I'd never of thought of slugsThere are signs of slugs (or Gastropods o_O:D) in the shed. There's no sign of trails though by or on the tins. I'll surround the tins with salt and pellets and see what happens.
The slugs will just jump over the salt.

However, if the problem is demons from Hades eating your labels, then the salt should work wonders...

Lee

However, if the problem is demons from Hades eating your labels, then the salt should work wonders...
I didn't know salt was an issue to the demons of Hades. I'm trying to remember if I've seen in a film where they are on the floor and salt is poured on them and they turn into a gooey mush.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom