1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sub with the Kef 2005.2 keeps blowing a fuse but odnt know why

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tony kop77, Dec 27, 2004.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I have had the system for about a year but I have just noticed the fuse in my subwoofer keeps blowing. I have changed the fuse but as soon as I turn the sub on the fuse blows and I dont know why.
    Can any help me please. I am trying to find the recipt, I hope it wont cost too much too fix but dont know what the cause is.
    I like the system but in the last few months I have had a few problems with the speakers keep dropping down they needed tighting but had to be removed from the wall to do so and now the subs fuse keeps blowing :(

2. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What amp are you using? And what level/gain are you using? I'd only expect the fuse to blow if you're really pushing the sub hard, or the electric spiked. Have you checked your connections? (I know daft question, but worth checking the obvious) Do you have anything in the house that could cause a spike in the electric? (big electrical things being turned on/off?)

I've certainly not had any issues with 2005.2 package with my pioneer 2011. No fuses blown. I have noticed that the centre does need a tighten every so often. Most of the others are on kef stands, so no need to tighten.

Might be worth talking to kef, see if it's a known fault. If you remember where you bought the package, they'll probably have a record of when you bought it.

Chris

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I have a Denon 2803 amp which I bought with the Kef speakers a year ago from seven oakes. I do have a lot of elctrical things going into a power surge adaptor.
    I have Playstation 2, Gamecube, xbox, technics midi, sky +, denon 2803 amp, sony 900 nv dvd player and an NTL cable modem. I think it only started playing up a few months ago.
    As soon I turbed the sub on the red light came on but imediatley the fuse went within a second of the light coming on.

I got some Kef paperwork that I should have sent off and I think it gives an extra 2 years warrenty or something but I never got round to doing it :(. I hope it does not cost too much to fix. I did try a new fuse with only the power connected to the amp but it still blew.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    It sounds like a problem with the subs amp if its blowing the fuse as soon as you turn it on ,are you using the correct value/type of fuse.

5. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    My 2005.2 Sub gave up the ghost this morning, and the driver started to Flap nastily. I wouldn't mind, it was playing music at about -30db when the problem started.

10 out of 10 for Sevenoaks at Staines :clap: . They have sent my unit away to be repaired, and even loaned me a replacement until mine is fixed. Now thats what you call service.

If the fuse is blowing, i would imagine that it's the Amp board with the problem. At bit of egg sucking here, but check that the voltage slider is still on 240v, and that it hasn't been moved to 110v by mistake.

6. GlynG60

GlynG60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    This seems to be infectious! :eek:
    My Kef PSW 2010 gave up the ghost last night without any warning, suddenly leaving KHT 2005.2 eggs to do all the work by themselves.
    Took it into Phase 3 in Worthing, who could not have been more helpful. :thumbsup:
    "Will be done in the next couple of days FOC" - "It is a known fault with these that amp units can just suddenly give up, we keep replacements in stock" - so it would appear. :p

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If they know about it it can't be dangerous or they would have to recall all the subs and put a add in the back of the paper where it can't be seen. :D

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I used the fuses I got with the sub then bought similar ones. I will take my sub to seven oakes hopefully next week and get it fixed.
    I just need to find the recipt I guess.

9. markevo6

markevo6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just seen this post , and have had exactly the same problem with my subwoofer amp with the KHT 2005 set up.

When powered up i get the green power light on the sub but just no sound.

Thought i was going mad until i read that others are experiencing problems as well.

I bought my set about a year ago second hand , so whats the best route to get it sorted . I'm in kent and Keff are located nr maidstone , does anyone know if you can take the amp direct to Keff ?

Many thanks

Mark .

10. GlynG60

GlynG60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would just take it to your closest Keff stockist. It sounds yours is doing exactly the same as mine. The guy in Phase 3 said it is a common problem and Kef are aware of it. I think Kef will supply them the parts under warranty even though it is 2 years old, but you may have to pay a small labour charge. Probably worth phoning your local shop first and hearing what they have to say

11. markevo6

markevo6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,

Thanks for the heads up , will do that .

Cheers

Mark