1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my sub aint right. seting up.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by funkers, Mar 10, 2004.

1. funkers

funkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok heres my setup which i've had for 15months now

toshiba sd220e dvd
    yamaha rxv630rds reciever
    mission m72i mains
    mission m2c2 centre
    mission m7ds surrounds
    mission m1c2 rear centre
    yamaha sw305 sub

phillips 36" telly

ive added a pic of the setup too. (sub seems to work the same with cupboard open or closed)

im still confused about setting up the sub for best effect. everything has been calibrated using a digital spl meter to 75db for all the cahnnels apart from the sub which is running around 79db as the base seems to low otherwise. all the channels are approx -2db from the mains to get them to this 75db wheras the sub is set to -8. i've fiddling about with the bass settings altering the bass output from the main speakers and back to the sub and the mains def seem to be making more of an impact then sub is managing, producing a base i can actually feel on explosions etc. i could obviously turn up the sub as its volume is set at 3/10 but the spl is telling me its right???

ive tryed changing the phase switch, the crossover is set to max on the sub. is my use of the sp meter right? the rest of the setup is great. it go's plenty loud in my 16*13ft room and the surround is fantastic as the speakers are arranged in exactly the right places. its just the sub causing the headache. i feel like im missing out somewhere.

any help on this?? cheers mike

Attached Files:

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    mike

It seems you are hiding your sub in a cupboard and then complaining it doesn't do its stuff. :blush:

You are also asking your sub to load a room with bass from the middle of the room. If you can find a worse spot for a sub do please do let us know. ;)

Have you actually tried it in (or near) one of the corners of the room? This will usually give you the most extended bass with the flattest response. :devil:

Do please try a corner and report back. We are all here to learn from each other. :)

Best regards

Nimby

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Funkers
    Set all your surround speakers with the spl meter but set the sub up by ear this is what ive found to be best.You will have seen when trying to get a spl level with the sub that the needle is all over the place.Try this and see what you think.
    Cheers Gonzo:)

4. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I will second the previous posts, Sub is definately best setup by ear to your own preference.

Placing the sub in different postions will make a difference, as Nimby said corners are good.

trial and error is a good way of doing, a search on the forums for setting up subs will be very informative.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You will always need to set the sub slightly louder than the other speakers because low frequency noise seems quieter even though it is not.Take a look here .This will give you an indication of how much louder the sub needs to be set.

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wrong, wrong, wrong :)

Corner placement does as you state provide the most bass because of sound reinforcement created by the close proximity to the wall.

However it does not provide the flattest response, never has and never will. If any thing certain frequencies are accenuated when in the corner so you get lumps in the response without PEQ. Also most subs boom in the corner, especially reflex designs.

The center of room is the most likely spot for flat response as its least likely to be effected by room gain and boundary loading but its at the expense of extension.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's also at the expense of a harmonious relationship with the significant other too.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    ShinObiWAN,

I should send an e-mail to REL, MJA and SVS immediately to warn them that their setup instructions are competely wrong. ;)

From memory both REL and SVS specifically mention that a corner position provides the most extended and flattest bass frequency response. But both firms are complete amateurs of course and have no real expertise in this field. :blush:

My own humble opinion is that a corner position drives <ALL> frequencies almost equally. But what the listener hears at his listening position may not equate to a flat frequency response because of the long wavelengths involved. Reinforcement and cancellation at specific frequencies, dependant on phase in the complex mix that reaches the listener, are inevitable.

A central position will obtain no bass reinforcement except at the specific frequencies related directly to room dimensions.

Boom is room related and trying to obtain a flat response in a small or square room is a matter of luck and ever hopeful experimentation with careful positioning of the subwoofer. A room with a boom may well respond to a central position. But then it might not.

As the art of subwoofer placement is not yet perfected it is very difficult to set down any fast rules. Starting in a corner and gradually moving the sub out of that corner is REL's aproach. If that fails then there are usually 3 other corners to try first. Before giving up and just plonking the sub in front of your seat.

Just another opinion. ;)

Nimby

9. funkers

funkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the responses folks. i know what you mean about the cupboard. not ideal i know but as i said i can always crank the volume up on the sub if it doesnt perform wel where it is. do you think having the sub in a cuboard will make a big difference?? ive tried listening with the doors opened and closed and cant tell much of a difference. im just thinking i could shift it into the cupboard to the left so in theory it will be closer to the corner.

the cupboard is ideal as the old other half prefers it out of the way and its as good as not there hidden away
    :eek:

10. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You should put it anywhere that's suitable to you, of course. :)

If you are interested at all in the audio quality of your setup you might buy or lend a "(surround) test cd/dvd" and listen to a (low) frequency sweep. You can find problematic frequency ranges quickly that way, and get some understanding why certain music or sound-effects come out badly. You might actually decide to place the subwoofer somewhere else, orientate it differently, or change the volume. Good luck. ;)