1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My stupid, stupid Panny!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Sam, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've now noticed another problem with my Panny 32PK1:

When watching Star Wars on Premier Widescreen on Saturday, I noticed the outline of another picture rolling across the screen. When I got closer to the screen I could definitely make out another picture and could read some of the text from the image.

I have my components daisycahined together, so I assumed that it was the ONdigital box or DVD image bleeding into the picture. However, when I unpugged everything else so that the digibox was connected directly by a high quality IXOS scart, the problem still occured.

Then I noticed that if I changed the terestrial analogue channnel before I switched to the RGB input, the image I could see floating around the screen changed! [​IMG] So the TV is letting the last analogue channel that I watch, bleed into the RGB channel. [​IMG] The best solution I have found so far is to switch to an analogue channel that is not tuned in, then go to AV1, but even then I can see the snowy picture showing through.

I want the set replaced, but before i do, I want to check that this is not experienced by anybody else?

Thanks.

Sam

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited 20-03-2001).]

2. Kahless

Kahless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this exact problem with my Panasonic 28 inch model.

The trouble is that the TV is outputting in the scart lead so you have your RGB signal going one way in to the TV and then a video signal going out of the TV and this causes a ghost.

To solve the problem you need to open up one end of the scart lead and cut the video out pin (think it's pin 19) and then plug this end in to your TV.

Regards

3. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rather die than use composite!! Sort of... [​IMG]

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hey there MR D, I have a Panasonic pg50 36" and was wondering if you had any ideas/solutions to my woes. I ask 'cause Panny are avasive to say the least and you actually have knowledge with sets, not to mention good grace.
    I've noticed in darkening/dark scenes viewed in a darkened room you can see lines on screen. I have a central horizontal (2-3 cm)and off central vertical (2-3 inch wide) noticeable in dvds/terrestrial etc. And a central block that is slightly lighter than the outer edges/blocks of the screen - and it isn't an aspect thing cause it is there regardless of ratio. Plus an above central line in all viewing types, particularly in progressive scan inb bright scenes - greenish to blackening.
    Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated - if you can bear to tear your self away from the girlz and booze that is!!?
    Encaser

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Nonlinearity in the surface of the tube (most domestic CRTS have this to some degree the larger it gets the more noticable it is. (one of those within spec issues)

Internal support structure in the tube deflecting/ reflecting the electron path (get then to readjust the alignment of the scanning beam: engineer needed , new set probably more realistic)

Inadequate earthing (heard rumours but the engineering techs a bit out of my league in this regard)through manufacturing error or design fault ( again quite common on a lot of TVs). Try a mains filter (18quid welkin type jobs from homebase will do to see if it improves).

Remember the pin19 snip on the scart too as a lot of problems can stem from this sort of crosstalk.

6. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Kahless, I have just performed a search and found a few other posts on this topic and i will have a go at snipping pin 19 on my scart lead (i'll do it on a cheapo lead to test it first though).

Sam

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for the reply MR D. This is the 3rd set I've had now and I'm not the only one with replacements and more of the same. Panasonic just keep saying 'not known to us, try your reseller' to customers. Who in turn sais 'try another set' and/or 'we'll contact Panasonic' then comes the same reply the customer got from Panasonic. No one wants to send out an engineer which I think is suspect.
    Something weird though is if you pip the image showing the lines the pip box still shows the lines, in other words the problem I assume can't be just hardware?
    Encaser
    The sets throw up the off centre axis lines even when a power regulator is in use and just a dvd is plugged to tv

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

Also tune in the RF output of the digibox to a spare channel on the telly. Switch to this before engaging the AV inputs. Any crosstalk will be effectively neutral when viewing digibox and I've found that in standby most digiboxes output black (unless your looping through of course.

This is very common > I can't recall the last time I saw any TV that didn't exhibit this to some degree.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ......or use composite via AV2 instead.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Very weird. Thats either a problem with the source or (more likely) the internal analogue to digital sampling stage on the TV is suspect and its not a tube issue.

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Good day Mr D, so would it be engineer in home or work shop fixable, or, would you think they are knackered from the get go due to bad design?
    I gots to know, as need to argue, probably, with me vendor for a possible refund then.
    Encaser

12. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

13. Nigel Ince

Nigel Ince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had this exact problem with my |Panasonic TXW36D3DP/U & i had 3 of em, they all went back cos its a design fault you cant do **** about ....

sorry but buy a good rear pro for the size of screen you want !

I did

Nige

14. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for the heads up Nige.

[This message has been edited by encaser (edited 22-03-2001).]

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

16. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I have had 3 now all the same, and other people have had similar. Panasonic have been told by me, my reseller and others, they just keep saying "We are unaware of any such problems with the set. Not known to us. Contact your reseller as the product is under warranty".
    Resellers are tired of sending out sets and bringing it up with a deaf Panasonic who remain unrepentant on their position.

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

Sounds like the same old situation from most TV manfacturers. You bought the thing because you thought it was something great and it turns out its less than perfect. Sounds like your vendor has been more understanding than most. Because you've gone through so many sets I'd have to say dump it get a refund or buy a different TV. You may have a house in some sort of magnetic bermuda triangle but in my experience this doesn't happen and you could easily check this by trying a different model of TV.

What I can't do is guarantee that if you buy another make and model it will be perfect ( you can't for ANY TV and if some one says they can they are lying) The Sony FX20 was the other Tv I recommended over the PK1 if 100Hz is your bag try the FX60 (or whatever the current model is). If you are not already sick of panasonic try a PF series if you can get one (avoid the PGs as they seem to be a step back altogether).

Hell I have a friend with the same background as me who swears by the grundig arganto although I equally have another who has the same model and is moderately unhappy.
    Domestic TVs I'm afraid ; bit inconsistent.

18. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Man this tv thing has done me in. There's a load of us unhappy with this set. I have gone for a refund now and yeah me vendor has been straight as they can come. All I wanted was a decent sized picture. And nope 100hz aint my thing, with its softening up and stuff. May be the manufacturers are starting to get with the program on this with switchable sets but a proper 36" still aint with us. Now I've had the pg50 36 any thing smaller really does look just that big style.
    Two hopes really, either Panasonic sort out their firmware etc. or Sony release a new 36 this year, but I think that really is pushing the glass half full motif of looking brightly.
    Encaser - walking in the desert...