1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My "spotty......... ??

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by rhawk, Apr 19, 2005.

1. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My "spotty, know it all, teenage son :) " is wanting into online gaming. Can somebody please enlighten me about Pre Paid Cards. Are they available for all online games or only some and where can they be purchased (online or store). Plus any other pros or cons about them. Thanks, from a grumpy old dad :rolleyes:

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Are you talking about PC games, like role-playing games (Everquest, World of Warcraft, Planetside, Eve Online etc) or console games (Xbox Live)?

If it's the former, pre-paid cards are used to pay for monthly server fees which are maintained by the publisher, and all players need to pay the fee. Pre-paid cards are a way of buying time online without entering credit card details and have repeating withdrawals (like direct debits). AFAIK these have to be bought online and they are then sent by post.

If it's the latter, I can only assume he's referring to Live subscription fees which are distrubted by means of scratchcards in Live starterpacks or free trials available in some games. Live starter packs are available in high street shops that sell Xbox games or online.

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I believe prepaids are available for World of Warcraft and City of Heroes not sure of any others.
    I use my credit card for a 3 month sub for COH which is slightly cheaper than paying monthly and prepaid cards work much the same way saving around a £1 a month.

I did my deal online but again i believe prepaid cards are available over the counter from Game stores.

I personally dont see any draw back or advantage useing prepaids unless you dont have a credit card in which case useful.

4. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is for the PC. He wants to play World of Warcraft, EQ2 and Horizons. My main concern was about having problems cancelling any subscription if I used my credit card. I thought for that purpose, prepaid cards would be a better bet.