My Sony W12B sucks. Any other cameras recommended for excellent battery performance

KAIZR

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just about had it with my Sony W12 digital camera. I have used the rechargable batteries at least 6 times (and 6 full charges from flat) and they ran out after taking aprx 20 photos (which is half the amount of photos as normal on average). I have just got back from watching Madonna at Cardiff and one minute the battery was showing full and the next zilch! Waste of bloody time smuggling it in the venue.

I realise that the lights of the show and darkness of the stadium can play a big part in drainage but surely the camera should take more than 20 photos throughout the day. The camera was set to auto and was switched off after each use.

Do you think I should trade ths model in for a newer one or is this really as good as it will get battery wise? There were people at the show with unknown brands snapping away and taking mpeg video throughout on one set of batteries and my poor excuse of a camera shuts down for good 20 minutes into the show.

I only need a small compact and was looking at maybe getting the new Panasonic DMC-FX50EB due for release in September or the Nikon S6. Can anyone recommend either of these for PQ and battery life or another model? Oh yeah and I would also be wanting a camera with excellent shutter response time.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

I take it you where using a pair of AA NiMH? What capacity are they - 2000mAh? If they are the original sony batteries that you got with the camera, how old are they and how often do you use them?

Sorry for all the questions but if the batteries are over a year old, even with moderate use they can sometimes reduce in capacity quite dramatically (which is probably the problem you are experiencing). Buy a new set of 2000mAh (minimum - you can now get 2700) from somewhere like 7dayshop.com and give them ago. They should work in your existing charger ok, you'll just need to leave them on charge a bit longer.

HTH...steve.o

Thanks for the help. The batteries are the original (NH-AA-DA) ones that came with the camera in September 2004. I have only used the batteries a few times as I normally just stick some Duracels in the camera for convenience.

What make of camera is normally most reliable for battery performance?

KAIZR
I found with my Oly camera that a set of Duracels would give max 30 pictures, but a set of 1700 rechargables would give 150 pictures. I believe this to be common amongst digital cameras (and even other types of battery powered equipment)

In my case it makes no difference if it's Duracells or the NimH batts that came with the camera, neither last more than aprox 30 photos. :(

duracells are a last measure thing incase everything else runs out, As has been mentioned here you need to buy some AA's with a better output, you should currently have 2000mah output batteries and should look to upgrade to 2700mah. If not check to see if a battery called the CR-V3 will fit in your camera, it is basically 2 lithium AA batteries bonded together. They will last much much longer than AA's And the good thing is there is a rechargeable CR-V3 battery too!

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/show_CRV3.html?via=pg&bt=kw4&gclid=COXCw_3NvoYCFVBBEAodBnhtNA

Thanks for your replies guys. I have just taken the plunge to upgrade and ordered a Sony N1 which has li-ion battery, 8mp and touch screen. Hopefully I will have better luck with this model.

I will sell the W12.

touch screen will cane your battery mate! its a better li-ion battery but still!

Yeah I have seen some reviews for the N1 and it might be a little bulky anyway so I think I might cancel the order. It seems a little expensive for what it actually is. I now have the task of finding another Sony as I have a 2GB MS Duo Pro and don't really want to buy additional memory for another make.

So I was thinking maybe the DSC-T9. I am not really a fan of the new W series models and thought I might opt for one of Sony's slim models. The T7 although smaller and far sexier than the T9 has short battery life, only 5mp and the reviews aren't exactly brilliant.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom