1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Sony DVP-NS305 is it multiregion?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by silverinho, Jul 15, 2002.

1. silverinho

silverinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please put my mind at ease, ive bought an NS305 which is advertised everywhere as being multiregion. I then notice its got a region 2 logo on the back but not before ive ordered some region 1 discs. Could someone please tell me if ill be able to play these and if not how it can be advertised as multiregion when its obviously not. Any replys will be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not a multiregion player by default. It is Region 2 out of the box (within Europe). Sony do not make multiregion DVD players. If they did, they would be contravening their contract with the DVD Forum.

However, if you bought your NS305 from a multiregion supplier (i.e. not Dixons, Currys, Comet, etc but someone like Techtronics) then they will have modified it to be multiregion (using either a special remote or a hardware modification). They will not have changed the packaging or the externals of the player though, so that's why it still says R2 on the player itself and on the box etc.

Basically, it all depends where you bought it from.

One thing you should check with your supplier, is if it will play RCE disks. Some multiregion modifications are not RCE compatible so it's worth checking even though it's less of an issue these days.

By the way, I have the NS300 (earlier model) and it's a cracking little player :)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all NS305 upgrades will be RCE compatible but if you find you have bought a R2 only player that hasnt been upgraded you can rent an upgrade remote for around £40 from dvdchips.co.uk