My Snes pc build

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by lpoolm, Aug 24, 2013.

1. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    So, several weeks/months back while researching for my arcade build (which is now on hold :thumbsdow ) I stumbled across an American website where someone had built a snes with a mini pc inside to run emulators.

I was amazed and thought I need to do one of them, so that's were it began, so I am not taking any credit for the idea, I have added and changed a few things but I didn't come up with the original idea I just felt I don't need this I just wanted to see if I could do it :D. I always wanted a Snes when I was younger, my sister had one but I never had one of my own.

My reason for doing this thread is to show people who might not have ever seen anything like this before like me a few weeks back and also to show how easy it is to do something like this if you wanted too.

I have taken a lot of advice from these very forums, as I have never tried building a pc before never mind putting it in a Snes.
    I have been given links for itx motherboards, power packs, cable needed to connect items to it and most recent the software side of emulators and frontends.
    I have bought the Snes from this forum too, since then bought another one for the mark 2 snes build!

(If I get chance I will try and give some name checks for the helpful people!:smashin:)

So I took photos as I went along, I was hoping i wouldn't regret it if I ever got stuck in any stage!

I also tried to keep costs down again in case I got to a point that I couldn't do anymore and didn't want to have too much money invested, so that is why there is a big power brick sticking out the back, thats the only thing I am not keen on but when I do my next version I will probably go for one of those picopsu connecters at the back so its all completely internal.

So I got it all up and running yesterday and to be honest to say I was surprised at how good the games played would be an understatement.

I have played emulators in the past and they always seem to have slow down especially fast moving ones or when there is plenty on the screen but I have yet to have any problems like that on what I have tested so far.

Trying to get Maximus arcade set up as my front end but its not playing ball at the moment!

***Update 7.10.13*****

Right so its been a while since I finished, in that time I was moving house and didnt think I would have much time to play this so with great regreat I stuck my snes pc on ebay:thumbsdow

Anyway I had another few spare snes's (thanks "littlesheepy") so thought I would do the version 2 I had planned when doing version 1.

The main thing I wanted to do with version 2 was to include a picopsu, this for anyone that doesnt know means I will not have to have the big power pack sticking out of the back just a lead running to a power brick so the Snes looks a lot more stock, the picopsu is a very small one that thankfully fitted in the Snes.

The next thing I wanted was an itx motherboard with hdmi output, mainly for ease of connection instead of vga and audio leads.
    I struck very lucky with this, put a wanted thread on and was offered by "sep8001" a nice zotac for basically postage costs as he was not 100% certain it was 100% working. Reading through old threads it hinted at two faulty usb ports so fingers crossed it was?
    Anyway that was the fault, the rest is working great also the two faulty ports would never have been used anyway due to the location on the back and not having access through the Snes.:thumbsup:

The other big bonus was there is next to no yellowing of the Snes so looks wise it is a lot better than version 1.

So all in all I have my hdmi motherboard with a pentium processor, picopsu to hide the ugly power brick that was sticking out of version 1 and a non yellow Snes!!:D
    I ordered all my other parts wires, usb adapter etc and got to work in my spare time.
    Again it took longer than needed just didnt get time to sit down and attack!
    My only minor problem I had was the internals of this motherboard are a lot bigger than the previous board mainly the fan so a lot more of the internal plastic had to be removed. I did at one point think I would have to get a new fan but by removing everything internal I could it, fits but its snug!
    Also due to the fan size there was no way the reset button could be used so this has just been glued in place, but to be honest it was working on version 1 and never used as its not a button I would ever use on a pc anyway!
    After advice from "pRot3us" I went with the fake game sticking out of the top with back cut out to use as an exhaust, also as stated it does look more "real" with a game in it!
    I got the cheapest game possible to use and have seen on ebay game stickers for sale to stick over it so will have a nice Mario world or kart sticker soon.

Also been putting in a bit of effort on the frontend side, sticking with Maximus as its pretty easy, set it to widescreen which was missing on previous version and also got some good advice from "Solar" so now have the box art set up on most emulators which do make it look so much better.
    I will get some pics or a vid of that eventually.

My next thing on my "to do" list is to set it to boot straight to Maximus as already mentioned I am not using it as a pc, it is purely for gaming but still need to do a bit of reading on this as not sure where to begin.
    I am also wanting a nice small wireless keyboard with a touchpad but will probably be next month (after payday:D)

The pictures added below are of my new version 2.

Pic one shows console with fake game cartridge, one other thing I forgot to mention was I never used the hdd light on the previous model but thought its there so might as well use so I drilled a small hole in the top left of the cartridge so it can be seen now, this is the only thing from the front that does not look original!
    Pic two shows the back and where I had to cut for the Hdmi access, I know it is not the neatest but it cant really be seen and also the small connecter that the power lead plugs into.
    I will try and upload some vids soon of the machine running, frontend etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Can not upload any photos yet, I think they are too big in size so a bit stuck on how to show, any suggestions please??

3. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    first few pics now resized:thumbsup:

Pic 1 motherboard, hdd connected to power supply, was beginning to think it was going to be hard to fit it all in!

Pic 2 yellowing snes :) was going to clean it with retrobrite but got impatient!

Pic 3 inside snes. Opened it using the melted pen trick but was hard work, had a few problems. Will use the proper tool next!

Pic 4 / Pic 5 this is the front controller panel, taking the circuit board off to connect to the snes converter

Pic 6 the snes controller port to usb adapter, I took off the black connecters either side and wired each section to the corresponding port on the snes front panel.

Pic 7 beginning to place the wires in the snes to see what pieces of internal plastic need removing to get it to fit!

Will try to update further tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. paddy187

paddy187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Great post - keep us updated!

5. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Oooh, I love it :) gaming geek heaven!

6. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Just to go into a bit more detail while I am in work and can not upload pics, the motherboard is an Atom dual core 1.6, with 1gb ram and as already mentioned it runs very smooth. It was cheap so only has VGA output but I have to say I have been amazed at how good the picture looks on a 42" screen. Keep forgetting to order an audio lead so up to now been playing in silence!!
    Windows 7 installed but almost nothing else as not to cause any slow down.
    Had a spare ps3 hdd so using that, 40gb which is plenty.
    Also never mentioned about the controllers and more detail about above pics, I want it to look and work like a snes so that is why I got the snes USB adapter and re-wired it to the front panel so now you plug your controller in the front like a normal snes and it works perfect, no need for USB controllers.
    Wired the start button up to the power switch so that is used for turning on. Also reset button wired for resetting if that's ever needed. Power light plugged to where original one was to keep it looking real and kept hdd activity light hidden around back out of the way.
    Had to cut a little section out of the back as it was covering VGA port but other than that USB/modem connections all nicely placed for me so to look at it looks like an unchanged snes!
    Using zsnes emulator, first impression where it looked awful but since setting up which was easy it plays very smooth and is easy to navigate.
    Once I set up maximus frontend also going to set up xpadder to be able to save without the need of a keyboard, than also have it boot straight up without going through windows but that's a while off!
    I think it would be silly not to install other emulators, even though it is a snes, wouldn't mind being able to play old master system/mega drive games and possibly Amiga (my one true love)!

My only potential worry is if it overheats? I have cleared as much as possible inside and at the top, the cartridge slot is pushed open when in use as a vent but I have yet to give it a big test so we will see!

Update, pics:

So the first pic shows the motherboard fitted in, it was a very tight fit, anything bigger and I would have had problems!!

Pic 2 is of the rear and where I had to cut a bit out for the vga port.

Pic 3 shows the lid with switches attached, used a small spring on the on/off switch so that it has a nice spring back fell when you turn it on.

Pic 4 of everything inside including the front controller panel. I actually forgot to take photos of that once it was all soldered together so can not really show anymore detail.:(
    It was easy up to that point, than it got hard trying to fit it all in and closing the lid without damaging anything internal!

There was a lot of moving wires, cutting out bits of plastic and when I finally got it all together for the first time and screwed together, it didn't switch on!:facepalm:
    I thought maybe I had damaged something and all this was a waste of time, luckily the wire to the on/off switch had come loose, probably with all the movement it was getting, a bit of solder and it was all good to go!:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  7. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,452
    Cool project!
    How about taking apart a game cartridge and cutting the rear out of it to use as an exhaust, I'd imagine the snes looks odd gaming without a cartridge in it anyway. You may also be able to mount a small fan inside it.

You could also drill a few holes in the base to help air intake (if there are enough gaps around the motherboard).

8. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96

I do like the sounds of the cart, it does look strange without a game in it.

The motherboard sits so snug inside I don't think holes underneath will do anything.
    I am off tomorrow so plan on getting a load of the software side sorted and leave it running for a while so will see what happens:confused:

Will also get the final bunch of pictures up that I have.

9. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    So update a bit later than planned, with pics below.

All put together and very snug but got there in the end.

Keyboard and mouse connected for now while still setting up but as this is purely a gaming machine and not going to be used for anything else will be looking at having Maximus boot straight up when turned on so no need for keyboard or mouse.

Have to say I have been impressed with Maximus arcade, I have not tried to do anything fancy with it yet and do not think I will as its purely how I get to my games/emulators but you never know, will probably change my mind!
    Just need to set up the controller to scroll through the emulators and it will be sorted:thumbsup:

The pics below of the games, although not moving I think you can see how good they look, this is on a 42" screen, it will not be kept on this tv it is just while I am setting up it will eventually be connected to a 23" or 26" in my backroom, once I buy it!

I will try to get some video footage posted on Youtube with a link on here so that you can see the games in motion, just trying to think how I can play the games while holding my camera???

Received my audio lead yesterday so will get that connected soon to see if the sound is as good as I remember, fingers crossed!

I have installed a few more emulators, Fusion which does most Sega consoles, Mega drive/Master system etc. Easy to set up just trying to work out how to set it to full screen on start up?:confused:

Winuae to get my Amiga fix, although have not tried any games on this yet so can not say how they run.

Also installed an NES emulator. This was another console I always wanted when I was younger, never had one, never played on one! Watched a few videos on Youtube of its best games and have to say :thumbsdow I am sure if I played it when I was younger I would have loved the games but I have not seen anything on it to make me think I will use this emulator, but its there anyway!

So as mentioned before this is my first attempt so will be looking at improvements in the future, firstly getting rid of the big power pack hanging out the back and also doing a bit of retrobrite to de-yellow the console, but not sure when version 2 will be done. I might just enjoy playing retro games for a while:D
    Also looking at getting a cheap cheap game so that I can use it as an exhaust as mentioned in a previous post.

If anyone has any questions or recommendations please feel free to leave a reply.

I started this as a complete novice and I am still learning but honestly if I can do something like this than anyone can!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  10. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,452
    Nice :smashin:

The only thing I would say is you need to set the emulator or your tv to output as 4:3 rather than 16:9 as the image is distorted.

11. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96

Thanks, its been such a long time since I played these games I couldn't tell but it makes sense they are 4:3 not 16:9.:smashin:

12. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Looks fab! It's making me want to have a cool emulating machine now :D

13. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Make one than, honestly it's not hard!

14. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Hmm, you have most definitely got me thinking! :D can I ask you how much it's roughly cost you? :-s I think that'a what would put me off most. It costing loads of money (which I've not really got) and making a pigs ear of it lol

15. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I didnt want to spend loads as I was also worried about messing it up and wasted money on it. I think it is pretty cheap for what it does though!
    The power pack was cheap but ugly, if you go for one of the internal ones "picopsu" I think they are called they where about £35/£45, I couldn't justify it to begin with but will almost certainly go for one on my next build.

I will give you prices approx including delivery.

Motherboard £28
    Power pack £11
    on/off/reset switch £5
    usb controller adapter £7 (came from China as was a lot cheaper!!)
    Bit of wire £3
    Solder £1
    New soldering iron £8 (Mine broke mid way through build)
    Snes console/controller £25 I think (not the one bought from you:))
    40gb hdd free (had a spare one from an old ps3
    Audio lead £1.50 (already had a vga cable but these are cheap)

Motherboard never had an operating system on which I added so this could be a further expense although I am sure you could get one with something pre-installed!
    It also had 1gb ram installed which I was not expecting so nice bonus!

Everything was bought from ebay except the wire which actually was cheaper from Maplins? And most of it was delivered very quick, even the usb controller adapter from China!

I think that's everything? It is time consuming, especially when your trying to fit it in between work etc but it is nice seeing it all come together, I still have not really had time to sit down and properly play it though!:(
    I have just ran bits to check they are working and moved on to other things or had to put it away.
    I think if I had another tv set up that I could have it set up 100% I would be doing more but in the middle of a house move I am not able to do that currently:D

16. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    That's great thanks! Not half as bad as I expected to be honest. I think I might have a trawl of the Internet for some ideas of what I could use (possibilities rather than a snes). I'd be in no rush, as like you, it'd be of an evening after work etc. but it'd be nice to set myself a little challenge :) thanks for sharing your build and information! (Good luck with the house move too :))

17. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    While I'm not a fan of destroying original hardware (cosmetics included), you have done a nice job there :thumbsup:

Now all you need to do is install a front end (maximus/hyperspin), that way you can get rid of the mouse and keyboard, and install instant sheller so you can hide windows. :smashin:
    It would be like turning a snes on with a super everdrive plugged in.

18. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I wanted something to do in the evening instead of watching the tv and this has done it and I got something out at the end of it!
    I was looking at doing an NES as this is a console I always wanted but as mentioned as I do not like the looks of the games on it I do not see the point of using the console and not to mainly play those games on it?
    I think mega drives are too thin (heightwise), considered a master system but I think they are just too small?

But you need to do one!!!:smashin:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  19. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I totally agree with destroying classic items, I searched for faulty snes consoles and that is what I was asking for in the classifieds on here but unfortunately could not find one.
    The sad thing is faulty/damaged consoles are listed for more on ebay than what they are actually worth?:confused:

20. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Ohh, the master system was my favourite back in the day! After the Original gameboy of course, only I think I'd struggle to fit it in that :smashin:

21. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I loved the mastersystem, probably because it was one of the few consoles I had, it's been a while since I've seen one but I do think its too small.

22. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    I think you're probably right as it's a funny shape compared to the snes too :)

23. PFMC84

PFMC84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    The graphics settings on the emulator are also softening the graphics and I would personally have it set to original so you see everything sharp and very 16-bit looking (and they should be 4:3 not stretched to 16:9). But apart from that, very nice job. :)

24. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    So not really managed to do much more in terms of software wise due to being in the middle of a house move, but thought I would stick a few links to YouTube of two videos of it running.
    (Sorry not great quality but it was hard to hold camera with one hand and play with the other....)

Main addition is the inclusion of a fake game in the top with the rear cut out as a vent.

It has been on a lot, it has had a few good run ins and I do not seem to have any over heating problems yet, which was my main worry!

I am also going to sound like an old person now (which I am not) :cool:but as much as it should be getting played in 4:3 I can not deal with the black bars down the side and I do not feel it looks that stretched!:D so for now sticking with widescreen..

The plan is to have it booting straight to Maximus but again do not currently have the time, but it might happen soon.......

Snes pc mod, start up video

Snes pc mod build running emulators and games

25. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Set maximus to a widescreen resolution :thumbsup:

You should download the artwork for the games so you see an action clip when you scroll through them.
    I know a site with every Atari 2600/7800 SNES, MD, 32x, SMS, NES and GB/C/A game ever made (licensed, unlicensed, hacks, jap, usa, pal, unreleased), it has all the action snapshots, game manuals, cartridge artworks, box scans, 3d box scans (for hyperspin), movie clips in xbox format, and the maps for every level in the games, every thing is renamed perfectly to match each other so its just a mater of downloading and pointing MA to the folders, I can't link it for obvious reasons though.

26. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96

Will put to widescreen now, thanks for the tip!!

I was wanting to put art work on but can not find a tutorial, happy to put the leg work in making adjustments just needed a little how to guide which I can not find!

27. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Basically it's a matter of getting a screenshot and renaming it to the exact same name of the rom it's for, and just point maximus to the right folder, the option should be just below where you point it to the rom folder, "snapshots" I think it is.

28. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Might get a raspi in there though. I loved the idea of gutting a busted old console and turning in to a small htpc that has some emulators installed. Something so much more pleasing about having something like this under your TV than a big new box

29. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Wouldn't you need to understand programming and the like to make a raspi into an emulating machine? I'd love to make something really cheap and simple that could just play older games without too much of a faff but I know nothing of programming :-s

30. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    If you are familiar with MS Windows, you could install Linux with some emulators on a PI easily.
    It really isn't that hard a transition now distros like Ubuntu are mostly windows/GUI based.
    There isn't any coding to be done. You could even just download and install an all in one emulator distro, that some one has created already.