My small crusade against 4k in tv world

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by hati, Jan 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I've read too many posts about oled saying "but it's only 1080p" so I think that it's time for some reality check. First, couple of reviews:
    LG 55EA980W Curved OLED TV Review
    Quote from conclusion: "it delivers a picture that blows away any LED LCD television, and eclipses even the best-performing plasmas,"
    And it got reference level award.

LG OLED TV (curved) review - FlatpanelsDK
    Quote from conclusion: "Once prices come down you have to buy one of these, simple as that."
    And another reference award.

LG 55EA980W: Review
    Quote from conlusion: "Image quality is quite simply incredible. We haven't seen quality jump forward this much since Pioneer's Kuro plasmas arrived on the scene in 2008."

So current OLED has best picture that there is. And guess what, if/when 4k OLED arrives and 4k content is widely available the picture is just as good as it's today. And reality is, there isn't that much room for improvement in sub-60" size range. A new 55" 4k OLED may have better PQ than current LG and Samsung but their owners will still be pleased of the PQ of their sets. With 80+" screen sizes 4k will be a big deal if it gets common some day but with regular tvs it's just marketing nonsense.

There are real reasons to hold on buying. Price is obvious, if it's too expensice then there is little to do. Input lag may be real problem to some one, longevity of new expensive tech may concern somebody but if the resolution is only thing between you and a new tv then just do it.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,385
    Part of me really wants to buy the LG OLED, if it drops to £3900 again sometime during the next few weeks I may not be able to resist, right now I could get it from John Lewis for £4215 which compared to a few weeks ago is unbelievable really and yes I get what you're saying, last year people were paying this much for a 1080p plasma (ZT65) which granted is 5" bigger but honestly it puts things in perspective a bit, I'm pretty sure I'd sit there watching it with a smile like a Cheshire cat but in reality the curve does put me off because not everyone in the room will be sat central to the TV and it surely has to restrict the viewing slightly from an angle. It's a shame there's nowhere close to view one, nearest is about 40 miles away and even then it's Currys so other than going to see it in the flesh and drooling over it's good looks it would be a bit of a pointless exercise as far as getting an idea about PQ in my living room. You do have to wonder though how much further it can drop I mean this is obviously a premium product you just have to look at it to know that so for less than £4k it's not stupid money really is it and if it fell to £3k then prices of LEDs would have to be adjusted accordingly surely. If it dropped to £3.5k I'd get one , no doubt about it but I can't see it happening unfortunately..

3. Tonkerdog

Tonkerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm always blown away by UHD pictures when I see them and can't wait until they are mainstream. With so many intangibles about how it is going to be broadcast or played, buying one now with no content is madness.

I wish it wasn't so, but your get an OLED when they get a bit cheaper plan is a good one. The curve puts me off too to be honest.

Where have LG come from to suddenly top the market? They even have a massive UHD TV with a Harmon Kardon system built in.

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    We have no idea how OLEDs perform in the longer term. Do they have any hidden problems? I've yet to see a 4k set showing real moving/action material. All the ones I've seen are showing slides or slow panning shots. Not what I normally watch. I'm a bit suspicious about this tactic. Remember how early LCDs were demonstrated with animations. That avoided showing too many shortcomings. Better wait for 2nd generation in both technologies.

5. Tonkerdog

Tonkerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd agree with that as well. The problem I've heard about OLED is to do with its blue pixel. Somebody better informed can put you better in the picture.

In Harrods and so e Fenwicks stores they have some excellent demos with action scenes etc.

6. wastedyuthe

wastedyuthe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    I guess one advantage of 4k would be for LG to still utilise their Cinema 3D (passive) and still have 1080p resolution.

... that's if anyone is still actually interested in 3D still lol.

7. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    This is why LG's approach is important.
    They use four white OLEDs and three have 'quantum dots' which absorb the light and retransmit it at a different wavelength so there is no differential ageing.
    I suspect this could be Samsung's problem.

8. lloydread

lloydread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Couldn't agree more... 4k is great if you're getting extremely close to the screen, but when you're 2 to 3 meters away it's completely lost on any screen sub 55". I still struggle to tell the difference between DVD and Blueray at 2 meters on a 40", I can however see the point when Passive 3D is involved but then I preferred the Samsung OLED Active 3D approach anyway.

My hope is that 4k OLED will be the hot thing and 1080p OLED will drop in price massively ;).

9. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    Good idea.

10. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    When looking at 4k demoes in stores it all looks so "fake" noting i life is so sharp looking at far distance as at close... No i can well live with a 1080p oled they look stunning in shops.

11. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    One thing I forgot to speculate, even if a 4k demo in store looks nice they have probably compress the picture (and audio) quite a bit when they start to stream it to homes with current bandwidth available which means that a good Blu-ray may still have better PQ even if it looses in resolution.

Blu-ray FAQ says that BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate, because most homes in the world will be connected to the internet with copper wires for a long time they won't have fast enough connection for a stream comparable to Blu-ray. That means that codecs need to improve quite a bit if they intend to stream 4k with better PQ than Blu-ray in near future.

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,385
    What like H265 then....a 20Mbps connection will be fine for streaming 4k and a pretty high % of the population should be able to get that with the increasing availability of fibre. Hell I live in a pretty small town with a population of about 5000 and we're getting fibre sometime in the next couple of months and my estimated download speed is 80Mbps :)
    I'm not saying streamed 4k material won't be compressed more than it would be on a disc cos obviously it will but let's face it you can compress a bluray movie to a quarter of its original size using handbrake or something with a hardly discernible difference in PQ, personally I think streamed 4k will be noticeably better than streamed 1080p and 1080p bluray and I for one can't wait for it cos let me tell you every demo I've seen of 4k material has blown me away and has been noticeably sharper and more detailed than anything I've seen at 1080p regardless of source

13. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    You are lucky. I live within the boundaries of a large city in the UK.

No plans for fibre in the foreseeable future.

Best copper speed is 2mbps so currently have to use satellite to get faster (20mbps on a good day)

14. TyneBridges

TyneBridges

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Personally I think that 4K is probably as much of an irrelevance as 3D TV was. Broadcasters like the BBC can barely do 1080i HD adequately, if 4K discs come out hardly anyone will buy them, and streaming is likely to be severely compromised with the connection speed available to most.

Yes, some of us would love to have the highest quality TV, but the sale of 4K TVs is only likely to fragment the market; sadly, even Blu ray has been a relative failure because most people are not that bothered about quality, and it's hampered by Java, clumsy navigation and region coding (again). Let's concentrate on campaigning for more and better 1080i/p channels rather than wasting money on trying to achieve the impossible.

15. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    What they use as a return channel today? What is ping like? When I read years ago about satellite internet in Finland they had modem as return channel and ping was awful.

What about 4g in UK? Closest 4g from where I live is in next town, looking at availability map it reaches to about kilometer from where I live. And this is such a place that we have to have a cable tv just because it's in some sort of dead zone. (And cable is one way so I couldn't get cable internet if I wanted faster, luckily current 10mbps is fast enough for me so I don't have to test how close to 20mbps copper would go.)

16. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    And on the actual topic; that is, and will be, an OLED tv for a while from now. And if/when 4k OLED comes to market current FullHD OLED will be second best with very little difference in 55" size range. I'm almost certain that when 4k content will be commonly available it will look better in 1080p OLED than in 4k lcd.

17. Kurchatov

Kurchatov
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Download and upload both satellite. Upload is 5mbps so more than adequate. Latency no problem in normal use but slight delay in VoIP apps.