My SKY + Nightmare

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by blammer, Mar 13, 2006.

1. blammer

blammer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (1) Nov 2005 :: Sky + Multi-room Installation
    Not exactly off to a great start. One box setup, working and tested. The contractor got bored during the second box install and disappeared saying everything was working. It wasn't. I had to phone Sky and get them to finish their part of the installation on the second box.

The boxes worked fine for a few days then we started to experience failed recordings. Lots of them. Sometimes in the morning these (Amstrad) boxes would not even power on without first being unplugged. Not very happy with this 'service'. Called Sky again. ​

(2) Nov 2005 :: Sky Engineer Called Out
    A sky engineer visited. Didnt speak too highly of these contractors they use neither. He said the problem was the signal strength and the fact that the cables to the boxes were not screwed in properly. Fixed the signal strength, tested and left.

The boxes seemed to work fine for that day but over the next week we still got failed recordings. Boxes not powering on sometimes. Pretty disappointed now. Called Sky to complain.​

(3) Dec 2005 :: Sky Engineer Called Out
    Replaces both boxes with new Thomson boxes.

Both continue to fail. Pretty ****** off now. More calls to most unhelpful customer service department in the world at Sky.​

(4) Jan 2006 :: Sky Engineer Called Out
    This time only replaces one of the boxes.

Still failing. Now angry. Sky Customer services called again - they will replace both boxes with a different model (Pace)​

(5) Jan 2006 :: Sky Engineer Called Out.
    Contractor arrives last thing on a Sat night after waiting in all afternoon!!! He only has one box. Its a refurb Sky box. I ask about the other one? He doesnt know so I refuse it and send him packing.

Call Sky. Get the most unhelpful robot in our entire universe. He admits to me that this is a software issue. Its been like this for a while and there is no known fix for it right now, but "we're working on it". Also, "this is something I will just have to live with until its fixed". Haha, and even, "if its any consolation my own box at home has the same problems".

** So they are pretty much admitting this service doesnt work **

The guy refuses to help any further as there is nothing that can be done to resolve the problem.

A further call to the Sky Customer Services only makes me even more angry. The second most unhelpful robot in the world answers my call. She says I can only now receive refurb boxes as 3 months have past since our installation. Huh? The things havent worked from day 1. She is obviously uninterested in my problems and also refuses to help further. Im now thinking about flinging them out the window and calling Sky to collect them. OK now I inform them I would like to cancel.

Next day I receive a call from a different Sky Customer Services woman. Seems very understanding and willing to help. She specifically states its not a software problem and they should be able to resolve it.

Now im confused. Software problem / No Software problem. Who am I dealing with when I phone these monkeys. Does anybody actually know whats going on ????

Anyway, this fairly helpful woman say a senior technical engineer will be in touch to fix the problem.​

(6) Feb 2006 :: Sky Senior Engineer Call out
    A few days later he arrives checking the signal strength with a different piece of equipment. The Sky boxes show nearly full, but he is says it is still low. He replaces something on the dish increasing the signal strength more. The boxes still show the same level as before. He also replaces one of the boxes with a Pace. Now this is super quiet compared to the Thomson.

About 3 days later after this visit we still have failed recordings on both boxes!

To date I think we have had 4 different Amstrads and 1 Pace.

Called Sky to see what they would like to try now. Well, they admitted it. The problem is due to software. They are trying so hard to squirm out of this now.

I said the boxes arent fit for purpose and the service doesn't work. She said my contract with them is only to provide the Sky Service. The problem with the boxes is down to the manufacturer which they are not responsible for. Surely that cannot be right???​

(7) Mar 2006 :: Summary
    Although I have been angry with them I have always been patient and polite whilst dealing with both the Customer Service department and the Engineers themselves.

However I am totally and utterly disgusted with the service and product. What a massive waste of money, time and effort since last year. There was absolutely nothing whatsoever that informed me that this service didnt work properly when I signed up.

If i had known what I was in for I would never had went for Sky+ and mostly like just ordinary sky service.

They now expect me to honor the contract and pay the full price each month for a service that works intermittently.

Hope this helps any potential subscribers.

p.s. Also when they do actually record I regularly experience playback problems – sound drop-outs, skips in playback etc etc etc.

2. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You should be aware that you are entitled to cancel and to get a full and complete refund for all sums paid (equipment and subscriptions) and also for any extra expenses incurred like lost earnings whilst waiting for appointments that weren't kept.

Ask for the above in writing (registered letter) and point our in your letter that if you don't get the cheque within 14 days then you will start proceedings in your local County Court. If they don't pay up then start the proceedings. There is not the slightest doubt that you will win.

3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    yup im with him.

if you bought the box from sky then they are fully liable. if you bought it from another place then they are liable for the boxes and sky is liable for damaging them.

either way sky is liable for mucking you around. dont take their **** and nail it to em

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    No probs with my sky plus 160, never let me down and i swear by it.Had a problem with my old sky+ pvr 3, resolved by a very helpful lady over the phone, she just tweaked something their end fault fixed with no further issues:clap:
    Still I understand your frustrations:thumbsdow

5. peterpatch

peterpatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    After 3 separate calls to Sky, I am told an engineer will be out to check my equipment (Amstrad PVR3). I have found the box works fine when just viewing channels, but it plays up with any recordings I make. I love what Sky+ can do and really want it to work properly, but the problems I am having with it takes the shine off having it. Engineer is coming out tommorow so I will let you all know how I get on.;)

6. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    If you have tried this already then sorry, and it is only a possible solution to your problem!

I assume that software downloads have been done etc, but has a full reset been done just prior to the download?? (services, 4, 0 1 select, full system reset - this will erase the hdd)

One of the problems with the software that seems to cause lots of failed recordings and locking up of the system will not disappear unless a full reset is done first, it stays in the background, and only after this reset will the software take properly! Try it, It has worked for me in the past when people have experienced similar problems as yourself.

One other thing to consider though is, although it may look ok, it is possible that the cabling may be to blame, one clip too many too tight, even a faulty reel of cable!
    If all else fails get sky out to replace the cabling aswell!

Again these are only things that I have come across, and what I have found CAN cause problems! Not a set in stone solution!

7. blammer

blammer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for you input Nick.

Yeah, the reset has been tried, many times and no joy on that front. As for cabling, well that is something that Sky havent considered or offered as a possible solution.

They are pretty much even less helpful now than ever. In fact its fair to say they are not willing to invest any further effort into this issue and as they said - "its a software problem and something we will just have to live with until there is a fix."

I might try to put the possible cabling problem to them, although I'm pretty sure I will be met with the usual resistance. This is no doubt this is waaay beyond the knowledge and experience of their typical customer service staff.

On another note, we have now received a (not very apologetic) letter from Sky with reimbursement of one months subscription. Whooopeee !

I really like the service when it works but it pisses me off so much having to reset the boxes every day and regularly (3 or 4 times a week) receive failed recordings.

Due to their sooo unhelpful manner the only real solution might be to go down the Cancellation and Full Refund path because I totally begrudge paying these bastards full price for a service that works barely half the time.

8. pauljbent

pauljbent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the email I sent to SKY as our Sky+ has been near unusable for a couple of months now..........................

To: [email protected]
    Subject: Reliability or lack of it.

Dear Sir/Madam,

In the last year I have been the happy owner of SKY+, this experience has by and large been a positive one and led to the frequent assertion "how did we live without this?"

However in the last 3 months this assertion has been replaced with "why are we putting up with this?" frequently followed by many expletives, many of which would make a naval man blush. Recently the whole system has become increasingly unreliable, missed recordings that are most often marked as "failed", items just disappearing from series linking, recordings disappearing, recordings being marked as successful and then impossible to view and to top it all off on Sunday night whilst watching (and recording) the latest installment of 24 we then paused it for approximately 20 minutes to take a phone call. When trying to resume the picture remained frozen, we exitted from Live Pause and tried to start watching the recording. However this was unwatchable merely giving a frozen screen and the declaration that there were 72000 minutes remaining.

Wait, there is more. In the last 2 days I have had to reset both of my sky boxes on 4 separate occasions. To some people that may not be excessive, however given that I have had to reset 1 on only 1 occasion in a year and the other on only 2 occasions in the previous 3 years. This has had to be done because on each occasion we have been greeted by the declaration that "There is a technical fault with this channel .blah.blah.blah.". Each time this has resulted in a failed recording. I have also just had a conversation with my wife where I am informed that all channels are available, apart from BBC1 where "There is a technical fault with this channel .blah.blah.blah.". Which following your documented reset script has not rectified.

My loyalty has now been tested to its limit and I would like to give notice of my intention to cancel my contract. You will not be receiving the next payment and if asked why I can only respond "failure to supply the paid for service to an acceptable level"

Yours Sincerely,
    Paul Bent.

PS. If you think I have a life to waste on your "customer support" line then I am sorry to have to rid you of your misconceptions. Listening to canned music and the oft repeated "your call is valuable to us" is only marginally less painful than inserting bamboo splinters under my fingernails and piercing sensitive parts of my anatomy with blunt knitting needles.

PPS. Should I be suspicious that its become unusable only since receiving a phone call informing me that my warranty was about to expire and asking if I would like to extend it?

And here is the response................................

Dear Mr Bent

Customer Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your email regarding the cancellation of your account.

As your request to cancel your account was received on 14th March 2006, your account will be cancelled on 13th April 2006, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract.

We are sorry to have lost a valued customer and would like to thank you for your past custom. Should you wish to resume viewing our channels at any time, please contact the email address above and I will be pleased to reinstate your account.

I trust that this information assists.

Yours sincerely

Janette McVey
    Customer Administration

No mention of the reliability issues whatsoever. Guess I'm a really valued customer NOT!!!!

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I guess they realised they were on a hiding to nothing even attempting to persuade you to stay. You made your feelings and intentions to cancel perfectly clear.

10. pauljbent

pauljbent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I was a little terse but the only reason the email wasn't a LOT worse than that was I sent it from work and that goes through a profanity checker.

It has honestly become near unusable, prior to all these issues in the last few months it was almost 100% reliable missing 1 recording in a year. For £50+ a month it's now a joke. Though it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't had to put up with my irate wife phoning me every day to tell me it was on the fritz again.