My sky box is plugged to the phone line...... but it says it isnt. Is this a problem?

buns

Ex Member
Reaction score
As per the title..... my sky+ box is plugged into the phone socket and always has been. However In checking the system through the menus, the box reports that it is not connected to the phone. Are sky going to have a problem with this and start charging double subs or something silly? If so, can I get them to come and fix it without them charging me!? Im happy enough to have it working, but I dont see why I should pay for the privelege of them coming to fix something that really doesnt bother me as to whether it is active or not!

many thanks

ad

They will only bother you if you have the mirror subscription whose T&C's require both boxes to be connected to the same working phone line and be able to connect to the SKY servers.
Compliance is 99.9% the responsibility of the subscriber.

If you only have the SKY+ then you really do not need to worry BUT if you are under warranty and have checked the phone socket/cable etc you might as well get it sorted.

If you have had the box for less than 12 months and it has been disconnected, then yes Sky will seek extra money as this is a breach of the terms and conditions.

Have you tested the phone socket by plugging in a phone?

If the socket is working and the Sky box is plugged in and is still showing as not connected then there is a fault with the box which Sky will replace under warranty with a factory reconditioned unit. Unless the box is less than 1 month old then you will recieve a brand new replacement.

Of course if you have had the sky box for longer than 12 months then don't worry about any of the above.

im on a mirror sub..... so this is a problem in other words and everything is under 12 months old so I guess im under warranty.... so does that mean I can ring sky and tell them that the connection to phone line isnt working and they will come and fix it without charge?

ad

oh and you both say that T&C's dictate it has to be connected.... but it IS connected..... it just doesnt seem to be working.....

ad

gave them a call and they are coming to look at it.... so far surprisingly good service from sky! The only problem is..... i tried another box so im confident it isnt my box, in which case it must be the telephone connection..... that in itself is an issue because the cable has been routed behind skirting..... so it is no longer accessible....

ad

I have a question. I've had sky for a couple of years, have just upgraded to sky+ and put the other box in my bedroom.
Does my contract start from scratch since the sky+ was fitted?
I ask this because I only have sky+ connected and have been getting letters saying that I have to have both boxes connected as the contract states.
As I've been with sky for over two years can I ignore them?

Your original package subscription is unaffected but there is a 12 month minimum term for the SKY+ service.

Have you got the mirror subscription?

Originally posted by Starburst
Your original package subscription is unaffected but there is a 12 month minimum term for the SKY+ service.

Have you got the mirror subscription?
So I only have to have sky+ connected?
Mirror subscription?

Originally posted by SOUNDSTYLE
So I only have to have sky+ connected?
Mirror subscription?

If the original subsidised installed digibox is outside it's 12 month minimum contract then it need no phone connection.
The SKY+ according to it's T&C's requires a phone connection but I would be very surprised if they bothered about enforcing it, they rarely went after anyone who ignored the standard digibox T&C's in regards to a phone connection.

The mirror subscription is a second smartcard with the same package as the original smartcard and costs £10 a month.
If you do not know what it is then you probably don't have it:)
However that doesn't mean some wires haven't got crossed and SKY think you have it and have sent out a warning letter.

If that is the case then don't ignore it, ring them and get it sorted, you could get billed for it !

Originally posted by Starburst
If the original subsidised installed digibox is outside it's 12 month minimum contract then it need no phone connection.
The SKY+ according to it's T&C's requires a phone connection but I would be very surprised if they bothered about enforcing it, they rarely went after anyone who ignored the standard digibox T&C's in regards to a phone connection.

The mirror subscription is a second smartcard with the same package as the original smartcard and costs £10 a month.
If you do not know what it is then you probably don't have it:)
However that doesn't mean some wires haven't got crossed and SKY think you have it and have sent out a warning letter.

If that is the case then don't ignore it, ring them and get it sorted, you could get billed for it !
Sorry, yes I have got the mirror subscription :blush:
So I only have to have the sky+ box connected (which it is). I'll ignore them from on.
Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by SOUNDSTYLE
Sorry, yes I have got the mirror subscription :blush:
So I only have to have the sky+ box connected (which it is). I'll ignore them from on.
Thanks for the info.

No! If you have the mirror subscription, you must have both boxes connected to the same phone line at all times.

As chips says:)
The mirror sub require that both boxes have to be on the same phone line and be responsive when the boxes are polled by SKY to confirm their location.

so I have worked out the problem..... the phone connector with my box simply doesnt work..... somehow the cable itself just isnt passing the signal...... im well peed off because I have had to rip the walls to sjreds to get at the cables :(

So now sky will just be coming on thurs morn to supply a new cable.... :eek:

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom