1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my shopping list so far

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dapex, Feb 28, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Any opinions on the shopping list from ebuyer so far? i know I need a case,mouse and keyboard yet (and pVR card) but I am still seing what case etc I can get that is as quiet as possible,

Sapphire Radeon 9600 APG x8 128MB DDR DVI-I TV-Out Lite Retail

AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3200+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included.

Asus A8V Deluxe Socket-939 VIA/KT800Pro - ATX Sound IEEE1394 USB2 800FSB Retail

Segate Barracuda ST3200822A 200Gb 7200RPM ATA/100 8Mb Cache - Retail Box

Corsair (VS1GBKIT400C3) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL3, Lifetime Warranty

Pioneer DVR-109 16x Multiple Format DVD Writer

Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2005 OEM - Single Pack

Microsoft Media Center Remote Control Inc Reciever OEM

In case it makes a difference, I am planning on this mainly being my dvd player, replacing my current stand alone dvd recorder (sky+ into this box then onto dvd) MP3 jukebox, Internet radio and hopefully for playing HD material. Conneected to my amp for DD sound and tv and PJ soon to be plasma and PJ.

Cheers

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you're looking to minimise noise you'll not want to use the stock cooler, I think you'd be advised to look at getting a Zalman.

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try to buy an OEM cpu (ie without the AMD HSF), and choose your own HSF. Haven't tried Zalman but I strongly recommend Thermalright, especially the XP-120, which is all aluminium and takes a 120mm fan, which you can slow down with either an NTC/thermistor (as the heat increases so does the fan speed); an in-line resistor or a variable speed controller like FanMate. I use XP-120 fanless on a heavily overclocked P4 and it works brilliantly.

Personally, I'd go for an nForce4 Ultra board with either GEIL Value DDR400 CL3 or Mushkin DDR400 CL2-2-2.

Seagate HDD is an excellent choice.

In general, try to buy OEM products, which are cheaper. They don't come with the (unnecessary) add-ins like the retail packs but are essentially the same hardware product. Anything you need (drivers etc) can easily be downloaded from the internet.

4. riget

riget
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Nice looking kit but let down by a poor graphics card I think, why not get an ATI All In Wonder 9800.
    I may be out of order but seems logical to me.

5. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9600 is more than adequate for HCPC unless you're into games like Doom3, in which case you'll probably need at least a 9800 Pro.

The AIW series, whilst OK for an all-in-one solution, limits you're capture, PP and re-encoding capabilities. Most here (I think) find it better to use a separate capture card, eg Sweetspot or one of the cheaper S-Video/Composite cards.

6. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    for capture, i had planned on using somehting like an PVR150 MCE version

Cheers

7. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really only depends on your sources and the quality you want to capture in.

The main snag with MCE (AIUI) is that you are limited to S-Video/Composite capture unless you have DVB and can use Black Gold or Nebula via UHF.

Did you take a look at nForce4 Ultra boards as an alternative to the ASUS/VIA chipset board? The MSI K8N Neo Platinum is very nice. Look here:-

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=637