1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Sharp LC-45GD1E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Ultim8Fury, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It finally arrived today. massive thanks to liam @ progressive-av for the good price deal and the superb customer service. I will definitely be ordering from them again.

First impressions

Its huge. It suprised me by having a larger screen than my 47" panasonic. So quick revision on the mounting plan and another phone call to progressive and I have an offical Sharp wall mount ( £145 and it tilts ) on its way to me. It does mean some minor work needs to be done to fill in the hole left by the 47 though. Anyway back OT. The image quality is stunning I need to spend some real time getting the thing setup 100% properly. The wealth of setup and tuning features is daunting. The black level and the contrast make my old set look like a giant skip.

NTL picture quality is dire. So I set up with my HTPC a couple of DVDs ( T2 and Underworld. )

The image is totally fantastic. Can't believe the sharp clean lines. Finally I can say goodbye to the convergence issues that plagued the Rear-projection.

I love this screen. Can't recommend it highly enough. Pics will probably follow in the next couple of days once I get the screen on the wall.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    And the price?

3. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Congrats on the purchase hope you enjoy it you lucky man - I've got DIY & decorating issues before I can decide on any panel :smashin:

I suppose all normal TV viewing subjectively is going to look crud as with a display with that high a resolution until we start to receive HD broadcasts. Lots of the USA peeps with these have HD cable unlike us :(

Are you thinking about getting a scaler for your other devices or are you just going to use a PC to the display? I've read a lot of people using these DVI switchers (Geffen I think) because the media box has a limited resolution for the PC input (1280 rather than 1920) compared to the actual DVI input - I could be wrong here but the avsforums threads do tend to get rather large when neat kit appears :laugh:

I think the price (well the best deals I've seen were around 5.2k with 3 year warranty - I think sharps are doing a special deal till the end of the year), but I'm sure Ultim8 will confirm. I think the list price is 6.5 or 7k, suppose its the price you pay for a high res display.

What viewing distance will you be at and also how big is the actual display?

Keep us updated especially on your PC/DVD/Console experiences :D

4. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Post some pics of it.

Sounds awesome btw.

5. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    payed a little over £5100 for the display.

Mostly will be using my pc via dvi for displaying stuff. Although my 2910denon dvd player should arrive next week which upscales to 1080i.

I'm sat a little over 3m from the screen and I can't find my tape measure to check actual dimensions at the minute.

6. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    turns out the dimensions are in the manual. ( perhaps I should have read it first before setting up)

anyway

exterior casing
    1084mm x 742mm ( including speaker ) ( not including stand )

actual screen dimension.
    989.1mm x 556.7mm

display and speaker weight

26.8Kg

another big thanks to Liam at progressive-av is in order.

I idly mentioned that I'd run out of cigarettes whilst waiting for the display to arrive and was afraid to go out and get more in case I missed the delivery.

When the invoice of the wall mount arrived, enclosed was a pack of cigarettes to keep me going. :)

Can't fault top class customer service. They've gone out of their way to make me a happy customer. Keeping in touch throughout the purchase and confirming to me I made the right choice in ordering from them. We will be doing business again I'm sure.

7. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would recommend getting a Freeview digibox or Sky. They have a higher bitrate than NTL.

James

8. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set has an integrated Digital tuner but I am seriously considering switching to sky.

9. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you able to post any pics of this TV?

Thanks

10. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not just at the minute, as its safely under a blanket whilst I redecorate so I can wall mount it. As soon as its on the wall ( hopefully by tomorrow night ) I'll put some pics up

11. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Excellent. I cant wait to see these pics!

Cheers

Dan

12. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Glad to hear your having fun so far :smashin: Sounds like good service. They are only 1 of 2 places I've seen selling the display in the UK.

Thanks very much for the dimensons. I did download the PDF from progressives web site which are slightly different to what you measured but between the 2 they are more than adequate for me to work

This display is looking a good bet for me rather than plasma. I need to read up some more on the specs especially with all the speculation about Panasonics ability to deal with the new Sky HD service.

I'm thinking about a geffen switcher box so I can use more than 1 DVI input (e.g. 3910 or 868 pioneer) and a PC.

The fact its got a media box and I can stuff my gear into that rather than spending loads on an av amp or scaler -though I am tempted by Pioneer Ax10 :p

A number of questions which hopefully you will be able to answer over the sands of time (if you can pull yourself away).

1 - Audio problems. Have you noticed any lip-sync problems?
    2 - Does the screen buzz or have any fans?
    3 - How bad is the TV picture using the internal terrestial/digital tuner.
    4 - Have you noticed any image lag with console/pc or TV (footy especially).
    5 - Does it have DVI & HDMI or just DVI on the media box?
    6 - Have you tried an upscaling DVD player yet?

Sorry for so many questions :blush:

Keep up the good reporting :thumbsup:

13. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. no lip sync issues beyond that which NTL provide this can be proven by changing channel and the problem goes away so I know its NTL and not the Tv.

2. there are 2 very low speed fans on the back of the display. They are barely audible from the front of the display when the room is dead silent, but with the tempory setup I had I could go around the back and they were more noticable, but still very quiet.

3. not used regular analogue TV. However the DTV signal is slightly better than the signal provided by NTL.

4. watched a martial arts film with some very high speed moves and I can't say I noticed any lag. Never watch football so I can't comment on it.

5. Just DVI

6. Waiting for my 2910 denon to arrive so not yet no. However I have tried high def material ;) from my PC and it looks fantastic.

14. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many thanks for the answers been a big help so far :smashin:

At first I thought this screen would work out more expensive than a similar 42" HD plasma setup. However if I can manage to keep my existing 3802 (which has no audio delay/upconversion) If (heh more like when at this rate) I get one I may try my old DVD (NTSC with svideo and component) and see how good it is. I'd rather not buy a new DVD player if I can avoid it especially with Blu-Ray etc round the corner.

The in built tuner will be fine for me so that saves on messing around in that area aswell :)

I think I would wall mount so any piccy's/info you have when you do yours would be great.

I read the 20+ page thread over at avs last night and it seems you deffo need a switcher for high res PC access (they say the connector from the media box to the screen is DVI so thats why they are all using switchers). Tired now :eek:

Keep up the good work!

15. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hadn't thought about going direct into the screen with the DVI-D connection. Cunning plan.

I might have a go at that later.

Didn't take any "in progress pics" whilst wall mounting it as the place was a total tip

As soon as I find my camera. Probably tomorrow now. I'll get some pics online. right now I'm knackered cos I've been wall mounting this thing all day. Looks good though so it was worth the effort.

16. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah if you check the threads out over at avsforum they have information regarding using DVI switchers for PC & Media Box into the panel. However without having one in front of me I'm not sure if the UK version is the same. The US version of the media box appears to have HDMI & DVI (they don't use scarts so got to replace them with something I suppose :D ).

The geffen switcher (4 port) seems to run around 200 quid ish so isn't so bad. The usa guys use a mixture of devices I think (we are always behind in the UK)

For me I would want to run a resolution above 1280 as I've got a powerful PC (I run 1600x1200 on my TFT at the moment).

17. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to get it to run native 1920x1080 for pc playback. so far not too much luck but I've got a few more things to try out.

Where did you find the DVI switcher. Google UK isn't throwing anything useful up for it.

18. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you check the thread at avsforums the panel apparently will only display an image - strangely enough :) if it is a listed res/refresh. I'm sure they are putting 1920x1080 @ 60hz into it via DVI. As I mentioned in the specs apparently the DVI on the media box is limited in the resolution it will process (I think the document on progressive's web site lists the resolutions), but obviously the panel is rated higher.

The Gefen switcher is listed on Joe's website (tmfsolutions). I'm not sure if anyone on these boards has used one (might have to do a full search later) but I know Joe has mentioned in other postings (regarding scalers) about using such a device.

I think I put one too many f's in Geffen :blush:

Thats the thread at avforums. Don't read the thread above it about faulty panels! :thumbsdow

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=459511

19. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have sort of got it to display 1080i although it needs tweaking as the fields are shifted vertically out of alignment. so it looks bad. but its given me hope.

It only does this though if you tell it its an AV digital input. PC input is seriously limited.

20. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you do need to run the display directly in order to get 1080 from a PC. After spending most of the day fiddling with settings I've finally got it to work.

21. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hiya,

Any further news on the screen so far or piccys :clap:

How are you getting on with the new Denon dvd player? Does the upscaling work fine for NTSC and PAL material?

Regards

22. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still waiting for the dvd player. Denon UK were out of stock of the silver ones so I'm having to wait. In the meantime though I've been playing a lot of HD stuff from my HTPC. Have some footage shot on HD from shuttle endevour only lasts 20mins or so but the earth shots from space are aweinspiring. Anyway couple of pics

dialup beware These came straight out of the camera. no scaling. no editing. They may take some time to download.

earth pic (1080i)

a few seconds further on

1080i shot from matrix revolutions

excuse the half finished decorating but I was desparate to get the TV on the wall. so some of the plastering under the shelves is not done and I haven't finished painting the room yet either.

23. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update on the 1080i native. I got it to run through the media box in the end. Had to swap out the graphics card which proved to be the problem. Found an article on Toms hardware that explains that not all DVI-D cards are really all they claim.

Rebuilt box with a SIS graphics card which has native 1080i support designed into the driver ( for linux at least) now it runs fine.

24. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for piccy's & info. :D

Luckily my X800XTPE is on the list of good performing cards in the Toms hardware article :cool:

Just need to sort my room out next month and then make a decision I suppose. I'm torn between plasma/lcd - the Sharp is expensive but doesn't require me to change my amp, dvd etc and I can run my PC aswell so its definately leading the way. I might try to see a 37" version running to see if I like the picture as much as plasma.

The only other requirement for me is a decent warranty on whatever screen I buy. I know I can get 5 year warranty on plasma's - I don't want to spend £5.5k on a sharp and it break down in 18 months (my typical luck)

The number of dealers I've found on the web selling the 45" sharp is 2! And you purchased from one of them so... :eek:

Keep us updated when you get your DVD as I'm interested in how the upscaling works on DVI for NTSC & PAL as this is a problem area with Panasonic plasmas from what I've read.

25. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ivojo have it at a good price. ( or at least, its on their site )

will let you know about the dvd player as I'm interested about its scaling abilities myself. If its really good I'll get a DVI switch. if its not great I may end up using the cheap option and component connection.

if you buy before Dec24 the Sharp has a 3 year warranty. ( one of the reasons I jumped on it now instead of next year like I planned )

26. totalz

totalz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone knows where I can download the manual, just wants to sure about the spec and connections.

Been reading the posts about the pc with only 1280x1024 through the AVC box, but 1920x1080@60hz with direct dvi input, true? That's why I need the manual!!

27. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I'd be looking at the 46" Sony X series today - the GD1 is a couple of years old now, and LCD tech has come a long way.

28. gazzer_67

gazzer_67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

Seems Expensive - empire have it listed @ £4300

29. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  30. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    You have to realise that was posted almost two years ago. ;)