My setup - Help!

davyh27

Standard Member
I have my PC upstairs connected to my Cable Modem ( Virgin Broadband 2 mb ) via USB, it is a Motorola Surfboard 4200 USB modem but it does have an Ethernet port. Now, my PS3 is downstairs in the living room so I would like to make use of wireless if possible. Is it just a case of buying a wireless cable router ? does it have to be a certain standard? Ideally I want one with a powerful signal to make sure I get the best connection( that I can get wireless)

Cheers for any help!:thumbsup:

Fentyke

Established Member
I have my PC upstairs connected to my Cable Modem ( Virgin Broadband 2 mb ) via USB, it is a Motorola Surfboard 4200 USB modem but it does have an Ethernet port. Now, my PS3 is downstairs in the living room so I would like to make use of wireless if possible. Is it just a case of buying a wireless cable router ? does it have to be a certain standard? Ideally I want one with a powerful signal to make sure I get the best connection( that I can get wireless)

Cheers for any help!:thumbsup:

You could buy a router but if you do, you need to know that the PS3's receiver isn't very good. I have a 4mb bb connection with virgin and a belkin router. Where as my laptop picks up a 100% signal strength anywhere in the house, the PS3 will only pick up a signal which fluctuates from 15% to 50%.

The other option you could consider are Home Plugs. I don't know a lot about them but I've heard rave reviews on this thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517960&highlight=home+plugs

If you go for the router option my advice would be to choose the fastest, with the strongest signal strength you can find (particularly if your router is going to be at the other end of the house to the PS3).

D

Deleted member 244378

You could buy a router but if you do, you need to know that the PS3's receiver isn't very good. I have a 4mb bb connection with virgin and a belkin router. Where as my laptop picks up a 100% signal strength anywhere in the house, the PS3 will only pick up a signal which fluctuates from 15% to 50%.

The other option you could consider are Home Plugs. I don't know a lot about them but I've heard rave reviews on this thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517960&highlight=home+plugs

If you go for the router option my advice would be to choose the fastest, with the strongest signal strength you can find (particularly if your router is going to be at the other end of the house to the PS3).

I would suggest you get a wireless Belikin Router Nimo + so you can get the best possible reception. I can tell you i have a BT Home hub. I'm no fan of BT but the PS3 picks up a signal strength of 95 - 100% which is superb!

C225

Distinguished Member
My PS3 which is only 3 meters from the router(DG834G) picks up a signal of between 50-100% whick boggles me as such a differnce in strength for two things that have never moved position surely it should be similar strength all the time?

davyh27

Standard Member
In the end I got a Belkin N Wireless Router and I am constantly getting a signal strenght of around 85%, which I think is pretty good considering the Router and PS3 are at opposite ends of my house :thumbsup:

Thanks to all that helped!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom