1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Setup...anythign I shoudl change?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Poolsharkie69, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my setup as far as I can remember it.

Yamaha RX-V640
    Panasonic 5 disc DVD player (Progessive Scan)
    Panansonic DMRE55S Recorder.
    PS2
    XBOX
    Sony Trinitron 32" Standard TV

I use componet directly from 5 DISC Changer to TV. When I watch i dvd I have to change the input on the tv. The optical out form 5 disc changer goes to optical in on yamaha. I have my SAT box going into the yamamah using s-video (no other connections available (no component and refuse to use RCA). When I watch SAT i just click the DV/Cabl button my remote for the yamaha and all is good. My problem is with teh 55s. Since the only way to get audio to the recevier from teh SAT box I have to use RCA. Well I have no way of getting audio to the recorder other than using coax because as far as I can tell the yamaha will not switch outputs to my recorder. I can get a picture and sound using coax...but really who wants coax. My SAT box only has one audio output...I don't really want to use a splitter to split the audio signal.

My second question is how do I get all my speakers working when I watch SAT. I usually have it set on PRO Logic but only the center channel and left and right fronts output sound...with most of it coming from the center channel. I know it is a stereo signal but I would think the yamaha shoudl be able to syntheically produce soudn to all my speakers. I have seen other systems do this.

Any help or suggestions would be great...thanks guys.

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the first question:
    I'm not so sure as have no DVD recorder - but with decent interconnects you should be fine with stereo connection.

As the source isn't digital anyway (SAT box only outputs stereo analogue I assume) you get no advantage from having a digital interconnect. Change the signal as little as possible between the SAT out and the DVD in.

For the second question:
    Try changing to DTS:Neo6 Music to get more obvious surround effects from the back speakers and more sound to the front speakers.

You'll only get sound from the rears occasionally when the decoder decides a surround effect is needed, e.g. crowd noise etc.

Alternativaly put the amp into multi-channel stereo mode (you probably press "stereo" twice to switch from 2-channel to multi-channel, I do on my Yam 750). This will not be "surround" sound, just stereo from all speakers.

3. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Excellent advice. Everything sounds great on my paradigm speakers for th emost part. Its just when I watch tv from the SAT box I have it set to enhanced mode with i think the cinema dsp effects turned on. It sounds pretty good but I do have to crank it up to like -40 to get really good full sound from only the front. I will try the stereo button twice onmy receivier when I get home to see if that changes it to multi channel mode. How do you listen to your cable or SAT signal? Do u use only the center and front left and right?I lvoe the yamaha recevier...but the manual sucks.

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the channel, some are *much* louder than others on Sky. Press the Dolby/DTS button on the remote until it says "Neo6: Music" and you'll get more sound from the fronts (I really hope the 640 has this mode now!) and more obvious rear effects.

The other thing I noticed is the volume levels are different between my DVD player and Sky box. If you've calibrated your volume from the DVD player the Sky box will be at a different level. Go into the setup menu on the Sky box and turn the signal volume up in the Sound menu until it sounds similar to your DVD player level.

5. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RX-V640 :thumbsup:

I almost always use DTS:Neo Cinema mode rather than basic Prologic. However this'll still give sound that is mainly front biased (unless it has matrixed surround elements). If you want to use all the speakers more evenly then the amp has a "6 Channel Stereo" mode.

6. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm ok...im actually from Canada and use Bell Satellite but I will check the volume level on the box when I get home. I run 5 speakers including the large center channel on top of the tv and a paradigm sub. www.paradigm.ca The titan series. With a nice DB-10 subwoofer. I am fairly a newbie to home theater but have alway sbeen interested in this stuff. I need to learn how to correctly set up my receiver for my components. DVD's sound great and music is ok through my xbox from my pc...I just use pro logic II Music setting for that.

So if I want all the speakers to work watching tv (SAT) i should probably set it to 6 channel....but really I only have center and 4 satellite's and the sub I suppose. The only time the receiver tells me all the speakers are on (using the front panel display ) is when im watching a dvd in 5.1

7. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I tried to get all my speakers to work when watching SAT last night...and well I couldn't. I tried the suggestion of hitting Stereo twice on the remote and that just basically took away all the effects and had sound form my front to speakers and the center. I woudl think there woudl be a way to have all the speakers work and show it on the front display of the 640. Anyone else using a 640?

8. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if your rear speakers are wired in phase or not? If they're out of phase and playing the same sound they'll be almost inaudible.
    If you've got a THX certified disc like Finding Nemo or Pirates of the Caribbean it has the THX optimiser on it.

Did the amp say "6 Ch Stereo" (or something similar) when you pressed the stereo button? What was it saying on the front?

9. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying Mango Bob.

I am fairly a noob when it comes to this stuff. I wired all my speakers to the A set with bananna plugs. So not sure if they ar ewired in phase or out...??

All it said on the front was STEREO and only the front to speakers LR were lit up on the display. The only time I see all the speakers lit up is when im playing a DVD with Dolby. That I understand. I don't have either of those movies...what exactly does the optimizer do? I have lots of other movies...like Lord of the Rings and others. Maybe I am asking my amp to do something it can't.

I know the SAT source is analogue and its only wired with RCA Red and White hook ups...so it is only stereo coming form the SAT but I thoguht I have seen on other peoples set up that they have all speakers working quite nicely...with the sam SAT reciever

10. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify here, you have all the speakers wired to the pair of "A" posts with a stack of banana plugs? That's gotta be me misunderstanding your post (before you ask if I'm taking the ****!).

When you go to manual settings to set the individual speaker levels, do you get a test tone from all 5 speakers?

11. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I get a test tone from all the speakers. I have all the speakers wired correctly to the A set of speakers. I am not using the B set of posts at all. I didn't understand what u meant by my speakers being in phase or not.

12. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's when one speaker has its terminals connected backwards (black wire in red terminal etc) - it still sounds like the speaker is working from next to it, but the sounds produced are the exact opposite of the other channel. So if you put the speakers next to each other then sound waves mostly cancel each other out!

The THX Optimiser has a test to check this where you either hear a clear hiss from each speaker, or a very diffuse sound that you can't localise. It's just a useful tool that a few DVDs have on them. If you've any discs that say "THX Certified" or something similar then the Optimiser will be in the DVD options somewhere. I think the Star Wars movies may also have it? It's easy to do if your rear speaker wire doesn't have any way of telling one wire from the other.