My settings for Sony P, T and S series

Nielo TM

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've calibrated my set using my PC via HDMI, and now, it has surpassed my Sony WEGA CRT. Hope it works out for you too :thumbsup:

Picture Adjustment:

• Mode: Custom/Standard
  • Backlight: 3
  • Contrast: 50
  • Brightness: 50
  • Color: 40
  • Sharpness: MIN
  • Color Temperature/Tone: Warm
  • Color Space: Standard
  • Noise Reduction: Off

Sound Adjustment:

• Sound Effect/Mode: BBE Viva
  • Treble: MAX/100
  • Bass: 50
  • Auto Volume: Off (user preference)

Features:

• Power Saving: Reduce
  • Advanced Contrast Enhancement (Backlight Dimming): Off

Last edited:
Thanks for these, can i ask you, are these just for normal TV or do you think it would look best for playing Xbox 360 also?

Last edited:
After using them for a while now i am inclined to agree, except for games i put sharpness up a bit, personal preference. thanks again.

actually, keep it to 0

If you increase it, it will highlight juggies more profoundly.

Hello.

Thanks for the advice.
I have applied them to a sony kdl p3020 but I have a point regarding your sound settings.
Sound treble really best set so high? doesn't it sound tinny?
Bass I can take from minus 5 then zero (default) up to plus 5 so how do i interpret your setting on my set.
I have found bbe viva already tweaks bass and treble therefore isn't it best left alone?
Also if we consider the virtual dolby setting would your recommendationd help or hinder the virtual dolby sound?
many thanks
Chris
Are your other settings still the same?

Last edited:
Many thanks for your swift reply.

As you certainly seem to know what you are talking about I wonder if you may be able to help me with another Sony setting issue.
I connect a sony bravia kdl p3020 to a sony dvd ns78h .
My problem is the audio DRC setting.
I can choose from standard, wide range or tv mode.
Which in your opinion would be the best option to work with bbe viva on the tv?
I can find an answer to this anywhere!!
Many thanks:lesson::lease:

You're welcome, but I was actually somewhat late LOL

Dynamic range is the difference between the quietest to the loudest. So if you set it to wide, the sound will appear more natural (just the way it was masterd). For examples, action sequences such as explosions, fights, background music etc... will sound much louder compare to dialogues. Enabling DRC will reduce the difference to a point where everything sounds just about the same, which is useful at night times.

PS: DRC stands for Dynamic Range Compression.

Last edited:
Thanks again.

So if I am using the tv speakers to the dvd player via HDMI would the best setting be the "standard" then as it seems the half-way house option.
Tv mode really blasts the sound out and wide range seems to dialogue even with bbe compensating.
Which one would you go with?

Cheers again

Chris:clap:

I would go with wide because I prefer the sound to be dynamic as possible. However, it's up to you;)

Hi

After much deliberation I have found what I feel to be the optimum settings for my Sony KDLP32020 using HDMI.
Please give them a try as feedback is appreciated!!

Picture mode: Cinema
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 88 (85 for FREEVIEW-non-hdmi)
Brightness: 49 (37 for FREEVIEW-non hdmi)
Colour: 62
Sharpness: 15
Colour tone: Warm
Noise reduction: off
Adv contrast enhancer: off

Sound effect: BBE VIVA
Treble +2
Bass: +1
Balance: 0

I dont take claim on the picture settings- they are the result of a professional calibration from another forum.
The sound has been my real headache and I found these settings amplified surround sound and clarity.
please though if you feel any of you out there have a tested alternative i would be happy to try.

Chris

Keep the sharpness to MIN. Anything higher will result in edge enhancement being applied.

As for the settings, it would seem genuine, but I prefer to keep my current (got used to the high color temp).

Hi

Are you still maxing out on the treble? Tried anything else?
I experimented with this using the sets on board speakers but it sounded like talking through a tube
I also found Virtual dolby sounded distinctly hollow down the middle compared to BBE VIVA.
Apparently- (and I can't back this up other than what I have read on the web) The sharpness is has a sweet spot on the calibration i posted that enhances in a good way- I can't see a physical difference -unless its on freeview- or set rather high via HDMI.
You also mentioned higher colour temp?
Is your neutral "higher" than my Warm?

Thanks once again!

Chris:smashin:

Hi

Are you still maxing out on the treble? Tried anything else?

I experimented with this using the sets on board speakers but it sounded like talking through a tube

For me, it seems more natural. However, increasing the bass did deteriorate the quality (felt very damped).

I also found Virtual dolby sounded distinctly hollow down the middle compared to BBE VIVA.
I don't use DVS on anything

Apparently- (and I can't back this up other than what I have read on the web) The sharpness is has a sweet spot on the calibration i posted that enhances in a good way- I can't see a physical difference -unless its on freeview- or set rather high via HDMI.
It may work for some content, but it's best to keep to MIN.

ask any pro, he/she will give you the same answer;)

You also mentioned higher colour temp?
Is your neutral "higher" than my Warm?

yes

Warm is supposedly the natural shade, but I prefer the higher color temp.

So my BRAVIA is set to natural, which is somewhere between 6500 and 9300K.

Last edited:
Warm will be more natural, but still inaccurate.
Unless something has changed on the BRAVIA line, "Warm" (or "Warm2" if there is one) will be the most accurate Greyscale possible without doing a calibration.

I know, but it turns the white into a shade of red/yellow. I prefer it to be pure as possible.

An accurate display will have a warmer appearance to white, yes, if you're used to the "Cool" setting.

When you say "pure", that could mean any blend of colours; but it sounds like you're used to "TV White" (blue!) :)

Last edited:
got me there (but the blue tone is not evident).

Also, the color temperature perceived by our eyes is not always constant. It is in fact in relation to our surrounding (tone of the light, color of the walls, color of the displayed image etc...).

PS: Do you by any chance know how to select custom mode on the latest BRAVIA models?

David

Presuming you own a bravia can I enquire as to your preferred tv sound settings?

Many thanks

Chris

He has a better BRAVIA then us lol.

But sound settings is more of a personal preference tbh.

Nielo: not sure what you mean by the Custom mode on the latest BRAVIAs, do you mean for custom Greyscale? Are the R/G/B cuts and gains not accessible in the service menu?

MCMLXXIII: Can't help much with TV speaker sound, sorry, as it's always going to be TV speaker sound! For what it's worth, I boosted treble a little to try and cut through some of the muddiness of my KDL-40W2000's built in speakers, and enabled the BBE System. But these are just last resorts really.

Nielo: not sure what you mean by the Custom mode on the latest BRAVIAs, do you mean for custom Greyscale? Are the R/G/B cuts and gains not accessible in the service menu?

On the user menu, there's an option to select number of picture modes (cinema/movie, standard, vivid etc...). It would seem people with the latest BRAVIA models can't seem to select the custom mode.

I had trouble with mine as well (KDL-26P2530), but I can't remember how I did it.

Anyway, I though I ask before I visit Comet ^-^

Last edited:
Nielo, David...The whole world

It's true I can't get a custom mode either, having to opt for a calibration using Cinema over standard or vivid.
However on the brighter front I have absolutely nailed the sound now as follows:

BBE VIVA

bASS : +1

tREBLE: +3

Volume sounds great anything over 38

I know a home cinema /external speakers would be an improvement but at the moment If a Tv promises it can deliver sound on the label then I expect it to do just that.
Thanks Once again for your input:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hello again hello

Further developments here in searching for that perfect sound.

If I keep the BBE VIVA sound on with Bass and treble at default "zero" then go into tv settings sound offset menu i can up the level of audio across all inputs.
So by upping to +3 for Bt Vision (AV5)
And +5 for sony DVD (DRC on set to wide range") (AV6)

Things sound much more splendid.:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom