My set up.

bigtipp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys been reading a lot of helpful info from you lot.
This is my current set up. Just thought I would share a couple of pics.
Its not the greatest set up but its a good start for me and I want to change things gradually, starting with a better set of floor standers.
Currently have the mordaunt short 914.
The two rear surrounds and centre speakers are tannoy SFX.
And the SFX sub. Also an extra sub (mordaunt short).
Av receiver is the onkyo tx sr252.
And my panny curved panel.
Sorry about the in tidy cables I need to sort those out.
IMG_20170325_093913.jpg
IMG_20170325_093932.jpg

How big is your room? You'd get better value for your money looking at better bookcase speakers on stands or wall mounts as opposed to spending more on floorstanders. The gains in terms of bass roll off are negated by the inclusion of an active sub within a setup. THe additional bass handling associated with floorstanders is never really utilised within a setup that uses an active sub because the sub is the device dealing with the lower frequencies and not the speakers.

I'd try centralise your TV inbetween the front 2 speakers and maybe even consider lowering it?

So you think I would be better off removing the floor standers and dropping the TV a little lower and use the other 2 tannoy satellites? .
Thanks.

I think you'd be better off looking at better stand mount speakers and a matching centre than buying new floorstanders. I also think that the setup would be improved by moving the TV so that it was centralised and also lower so that it was closer to your seated head height.

Ok. Noted. I'll get hunting for some speakers. And I put the TV up and sat back and said to the wife its to high. She said its fine, I think she was just fed up with the mess and noise all day to be honest.

This may help typify the kind of height you should be after for your TV:

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

That's a nice set up there. Thank you for the help. I'm reading the reviews on richer sounds now for different stand mount speakers.
The wharfedale diamond 220,s look nice.
The other reason for going higher with the TV is our dog is not to keen on any animal programmes and sometimes looks like she could pounce at the screen. But it could definitely come down 4 inches or so.
Thanks.

Was just reading reviews on them as well and they seem to be great speakers. I like the finish as well.
I get paid next Fri and should have around ÂŁ500 to spend on speakers.

Was just reading reviews on them as well and they seem to be great speakers. I like the finish as well.
I get paid next Fri and should have around ÂŁ500 to spend on speakers.

You should be able to acquire all three speakers plus stands or mounts within your budget. Note that is wanting the gloss black or white finish then there's a premium to pay when compared to the price of the speakers with the graphite finish.

Black or white would be fine. Also would I get a better effect from one sub being placed on the opposite wall to the TV? In the corner facing the sofa ?.
Thanks for your help.

Black or white would be fine. Also would I get a better effect from one sub being placed on the opposite wall to the TV? In the corner facing the sofa ?.
Thanks for your help.

You'd typical get the best results leaving the sub where it is now although this can vary depending upon the acoustics of the room in which a sub is located. If using more than one sub then you may find this article of interest when trying to determine the location of the subs:

Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide

I also found this open box deal on the Q Acoustics 3000 cinema package:
Q Acoustics 3000 Series 5.1 Cinema Pack - Black Graphite - Open Box

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom