My Self built High End Rig V's My Alienware Aurora ALX /3Dmark Vantage Bench

Killswitch 73

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi guys/gals

I'm a little puzzled into why my alienware rig is destroying my high end gaming rig..in 3D mark Vantage scores..

my gaming rig are as follows ..

Asus rampage II Extreme
TT tough power 750w
Intel i7 920 @ 3.6ghz HT & Trubo on (3.9ghz) temps (57-65) (none D0 stepping)
Corsair H50-1
Corsair 3x2Gb 6gb Dominator 1600mhz 8-8-8-24
2x 500gb RE3 WD in raid0
windows 7 64 premium
nvida GTX285 XLR8 Default clocks.

3D mark vantage score's

P14777
Gpu 11962
Cpu 50229

Alienware Aurora ALX

Intel Micro ATX board
Intel i7 920@ 3.2ghz HT & Turbo on (3.5ghz) @ 40c - 44c
Bog standard ram 3x1Gb 3gb 1333mhz 8-8-8-24
2x 640gb raid0
X-Fi Titanium SB
water cooled (same as H50-1)
825w psu
Nvidia GTX480

now look at these score's

3D mark Vantage

P21594
Gpu 18023
Cpu 53897

Can someone tell me how i'm getting higher scores on the alienware , as that has baffled me , i knew the graphics card would destroy the 285 but the cpu is 400mhz slower, and the ram is way more than half of the dominator ram ..i dont know if the titanium sound card makes any difference in the alienware, even though the rampage board has its own dedicated x-fi , but this i think is software based card..

thanks all in advance..

ps

spot the temps aswell ?

Last edited:
Well 3dmark has its faults like everything else; have you tried running it on a HL2 benchmark or something?

Maybe there's a driver issue on your gaming rig that's holding it back?

If I were you I'd benchmark it in something else though and see if the result is still the same!

Well 3dmark has its faults like everything else; have you tried running it on a HL2 benchmark or something?

Maybe there's a driver issue on your gaming rig that's holding it back?

If I were you I'd benchmark it in something else though and see if the result is still the same!

no driver issues as i tested it 5 times with a loop of 3 times on each , and both have same upto date drivers.

asus rampage had updated bios...

mu friend says its the D0 stepping CPU and NEW GTX 480 making the difference as the CPU is not stressing as much as the NONE D0 stepping Due to lower voltages..and of course the graphics are making the scores shoot up helping the cpu do more processing..

so i may have answerd my own question really as i thought this was the case ..

Most of the gaming bench marks heavily use the graphics cards this is why the difference is so big with a different card

thanks for that ..

i will soon get even better scores as i got 6gb dominator 1600mhz ram comming in few days and will alow a better overclock on the cpu too..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom