1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My second blown amp.......is this a system problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by buns, Nov 10, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I managed to make my old marantz amp non functional running out of the pre outs of my yamaha A5 some weeks ago...... now the same thing has just happened with another amp. Could this be something that the yamaha is causing?

ad

ps. :mad: :mad: :mad: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Speakers or speaker cable possibly ? Some amps are a bit fussy about shorts across the speaker terminals although most AV stuff should be okay with this. More esoteric HiFi equipment may take a less intrusive route with regards output protection.

Allan

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Check first of all that the speakers cables are not shorted anywhere and that there are no spidery bits of wire that could be shorting out the amplifer. Also check that your speakers are still all working, listen to each speaker drive unit closely to see if all the tweeters and base drives are still OK. If one of them is out it may be over laoding the amplifer (although this is unusual they usually go open circuit)

It is possible although unlikely that the A5 has gone unstable in its output stage producing lots of very high frequency signal. You can't hear this but it will heat up both your amplfier and the tweeters in your speakers. This can cause amplfiers to fail as they are not designed to reproduce very high frequency signals. Without an oscilloscope it would be really hard to tell if this is the problem or not.

Andy.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are no shorts......the binding posts are about 10 cm apart......

The manufacturer tells me that its probably the mains fuse..... now i have to find where in the amp that is...... without frying myself on coke can capacitors..... maybe i just have too many things on the ring circuit and im getting periodic surges or something.....

ad

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi buns i used to have a5 ,connected to yam ax592 so used a5 for c+rears 592for fronts,had no problems,from memory it is the 2 phonos marked main on rear of a5 , approx half way,assume this is what your using,is speaker impedance switch on back of a5 set correctly? apart from this cant offer any more advice,

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks again...... i am all connected correctly...... im running all channels through separate amps so the A5 is just processing.....

I'm for now putting it down to co incidence or a misfortune with mains...... if it happens again i will be very annoyed! :mad:

ad

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have in my hand, one extremely dead mains fuse..... simple really, but im worried that it has happened a few times. Maybe my electonic skills need to get cracking on some protection.....

ad