My Second Attempt.. This Time It's a Dedicated Room

Have said before s_inman but it really is an AMAZING set up and the quality is AMAZING :smashin:

This is awesome. Just wish you had some build photos to let use know how to copy it. :)

simply breath-taking. :thumbsup:

Thanks chaps :).

Makes me fell better after months of swearing, itching and sweating putting it together on my own :).

Stuart

stevos said:
What is the mount you are using for your projector?

Hi,

sorry missed your question. its a microwave bracket from Argos (costs about £12).

Phil.LFC used the same idea in his build, I simply borrowed his idea :).

Stuart

KelvinS1965 said:
Just come across this thread, absolutely lovely job there. I half expected to see the popular 'dedicated' room that is painted in light colours, so good on you for disappointing me. :D That sub looks like it could shake the house down. :eek: I like that you did all the acoustics measurements and got the response nice and flat too.

I guess it's due to the size of the room, but is the equipment rack very visible at the side of the screen, or does it have a cover? My living room set up is similar and I found that the LEDs off the various kit did slightly light up the screen until I figured out how to turn most of them off or cover them during films (BT router I'm looking at you :mad:). I like the changing lighting in the ceiling too, gives a nice effect for when it isn't in complete darkness (while the popcorn lady is coming round I guess? :D).

I recently tried the Darbee with my HD350 and lens set up and found it works really well to sharpen things up without adding halos/ringing. It's a growing club. :)

Cheers Kelvin,

My main aim when designing the room was ultimate PQ and AQ, covering every wall with black acoustic transparent material was always going to be first choice (also provides somewhere to add Rockwool :)).

The rack is an interesting one, I originally looked at putting it in another room but then decided to keep it all together.. I made a panel to cover it (looked like the walls) but somehow it didn't look right, the LEDs were a PITA but a handful of blu tac, some M5 rubber screw caps, black gaffer tape and some cut to size acrylic sorted them out :thumbsup:. It's now as dark as I can get it without covering it :). It's not noticeable when watching a film anyway.

Keith, Flowers of War is a great film! I was pleasantly supposed :).

Stuart

Hi,

sorry missed your question. its a microwave bracket from Argos (costs about £12).

Phil.LFC used the same idea in his build, I simply borrowed his idea :).

Stuart

And I "borrowed" the idea off someone else on here ;)

Although spraying them black for my very dark room was my own idea!

They are brilliant brackets though, just the job, and a no brainer at that price!

Seriously amazing room! :thumbsup:

I have previously had an attempt at home made screen with no joy!

Yours looks amazing. are you able to share a link where there maybe a guide or some help with design etc.

Thanks

Tim Timmens said:
Seriously amazing room! :thumbsup:

I have previously had an attempt at home made screen with no joy!

Yours looks amazing. are you able to share a link where there maybe a guide or some help with design etc.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words Tim.

The screen was fairly easy to make, I searched the Internet for days and eventually found a fairly straight forward design on AVS.. I will have a look for the link :).

I have a new question, how did you manage to put the panels on the side walls? do you have pics?

Thanks

TIm

Think that may be a trade secret between me and Stuart...:D

It's a better kept secret than colonel sanders secret recipe ;).

Never mind... Google French cleat and have a read :).

Love this build. Really makes me start to think seriously about moving now and getting a dedicated room for the job rather than a living room that converts to a cinema at the flick of a button.

You've definitely convinced me that I need a 2:40:1 screen and anamorphic lens setup now to go with the X90 PJ.

Tim Timmens said:
I am now going to be spending the next few weeks making my own batcave :thumbsup:

Good choice Tim! I hope it turns out well for you :smashin:.

eiren said:
Love this build. Really makes me start to think seriously about moving now and getting a dedicated room for the job rather than a living room that converts to a cinema at the flick of a button.

You've definitely convinced me that I need a 2:40:1 screen and anamorphic lens setup now to go with the X90 PJ.

Thank you.

2:40:1 is the future (actually its been around for years :)) I don't know why more consumer products don't adapt the thoughts on what a film lover wants more!

Hi Stuart

Room looks as good as ever :) Just wondered how you were getting on with demopad now? Do you find it practical using touchscreen only for control?

Smurfin said:
Hi Stuart

Room looks as good as ever :) Just wondered how you were getting on with demopad now? Do you find it practical using touchscreen only for control?

Matt,

Thanks for the kind words :smashin:.

Using the iPad or iPhone as a remote is very practical in my opinion, it's also extremely convenient for me as trying to find a remote with no lights on is a real pain! Reaching into my pocket for my iPhone is far easier (It actually took me 20 minutes to find the remote for my Darbee Darblet last night, scrambling around with a torch.. I should point out my room currently has no lights due to minor :caugh:major:caugh: upgrades :smashin:).

If you need any tips regarding set up fire away!

Stuart

Sorry I've not posted on this thread before - very, very nice indeed.

A quick question, as I'm in the process of re-building my room.

You went for Maplins over Devore. There's a big price difference, with the Devore costing almost four times as much. You said in your initial post that the picture looks like it's just swimming in a black hole - is this still the case?

Have you ever regretted going for Maplin, or is it still the mutt's nuts?

Cheers.

Steve W

Last edited:
Hi Steve

Thanks for the kind words :smashin:.

I need to upgrade this thread to be honest, the kit is now completely different! Only the A lens remains the same.

The Maplins material is superb for the price, I don't have any regrets at all. If funds allow I would go for the Devore as it is darker, however not by much. The projected image does look stunning :). And with the lights and projector off it's impossible to see a thing.

Stuart

...with the lights and projector off it's impossible to see a thing.

That's the important bit.

Do you find you have to position the nap a certain way to avoid sheen?

Steve W

Hi Stuart, great room! Would really love a dedicated room like yours.

I notice on your ADA you have an IR blaster stuck to the front. Is this attached to your Global Cache? Because it needn't be...
I use the iRule software on my iPads with a Global Cache IP2IR, but the GC device is only controlling my LCD TV, Sky and Oppo player.
My XBMC, ADA and Roku accept commands over the network (XBMC and Roku over HTTP, the ADA over IP).

With iRule, I get the holly grail of "feedbacks" so on the screen of the iPad I get to see the ADA's volume, input and sound mode.
I have a suite 7.1 HD, but use the codes and settings for your model.

I've even gotten an iPad mini in a neat leather case, but the Mrs insists on having a "normal" remote, so I have to run a Harmony 900 with an IR blaster in front of the rack as well.

If you go down this route I can give you some advice as it's a pig setting up gateways and codes and even then it only works in iOS, android always messes up.

No, no sheen on this material. I will see if I've got an off cut and stick it through the post.

Hi Stuart, great room! Would really love a dedicated room like yours.

I notice on your ADA you have an IR blaster stuck to the front. Is this attached to your Global Cache? Because it needn't be...
I use the iRule software on my iPads with a Global Cache IP2IR, but the GC device is only controlling my LCD TV, Sky and Oppo player.
My XBMC, ADA and Roku accept commands over the network (XBMC and Roku over HTTP, the ADA over IP).

With iRule, I get the holly grail of "feedbacks" so on the screen of the iPad I get to see the ADA's volume, input and sound mode.
I have a suite 7.1 HD, but use the codes and settings for your model.

I've even gotten an iPad mini in a neat leather case, but the Mrs insists on having a "normal" remote, so I have to run a Harmony 900 with an IR blaster in front of the rack as well.

If you go down this route I can give you some advice as it's a pig setting up gateways and codes and even then it only works in iOS, android always messes up.

Hi

Thanks for the kind words and recommendation.

The ADA is however long gone, however the IR blaster was attached to a global cache ip2ir unit. Not that this matters anymore.

My new processor is indeed connected by IP which I find far more reliable and much easier to use :smashin:.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom