1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Screen is waving at me.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    As many of you know I use a Da-lite 16:9 screen, ceiling mounted. The last couple of day's I have notived a waving effect on panning shot's, there seem's to be a ripple in the screen :( it is difficult to see if you just go close to the screen and look along it, the best way to check is look behind the screen at the black backing, it seem's to show more clearly.
    Has anyone else noticed this with their Da-lite?
    I guess this is what you get from buying a none tensioned screen.
    I have managed to flatten it by putting a small amount of tension in the screen by attaching two 22mm pipe bracket's to the rear of my speaker's, the plastic one's you buy in pack's from B&Q. and then clipping the weight bar of the screen to these bracket's.
    I know it sounds odd, but it seems to work.
    I will be giving it a full check out later tonight with a viewing of Close Encounter's of the third kind. In s-video :(

2. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a problem on all cheap screens. I get this too on my Euroscreeen but I don't notice it except if I have ambient light on. I had to tighten the lower corners of the screen or the picture would be distorted because my projector has a very-short-throw lens.:) I have also adjusted the stops on the motor so that it doesn't stretch the screen when it reaches the top.

I have decided that it won't bother me because I'm tired of sending stuff back for replacement /repair. :) Besides, I got the screen for 40% of what it really costs.

So far I've sent back:
    -Two DVD-players.
    -One surround receiver
    -One projector

Tor Arne

3. tk

tk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was like that when I first time pulled it down. Wavy effect during panning is really pain in the a..

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I seem to have cured it now, after putting a little amount of tension on the lower corners' it now look's great :) I watched close encounters last night, with no panning problem's.
    :D