1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my scart quandries

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jinky32, Oct 18, 2004.

1. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello hello, those of you who read my other thread here will know that I'm completely new to this home cinema stuff, so apologies if I'm asking stupid questions. I have run searches but not found exactly what I'm after.

Anyway, Ian J has helped me out a lot with audio stuff, and I'm just after a little more advice.

I have a denon avr3300 (i have included a picture of the sockets on the back). I
    I have one tv with a single scart input.
    I have a playstation 2 (doubles as DVD)
    I have a sky plus box (on the way)
    an a pc.

I currently have the PS2 running from scart to 3 rca and going into the DVD input in the denon.
    I have a scart to 6 rca running from tv to denon which supplies audio and visual from PS2/DVD. It does not supply sound for the tv.

My question is, I know I can get tv audio through my skyplus box using a optical cable, but can i run a scart to three rca from the skyplus box to the denon so that I can get the sky visual through my tv? If so, in which sockets do the three rca need to go (or will the signal travel down the same rca that takes the PS2/DVD picture to the TV?)

I'm planning on running audio from pc thru amp using optical cable too if this makes any difference.

Many thanks fr any help!

Attached Files:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks, would love to. I've just bought my first house with my girlfriend and having just spent £500+ on amp/speakers etc, I'm finding it a little difficult to justify spending more! Not to mention the fact that mortgage wipes us out!

I know it's a compromise, but would scart to nasty nasty composite from skyplus to denon work for visual? and which sockets would it go into?

As xmas is upcoming, can you also suggest what would allow the very best connections between the components?

also, is this http://www.tek2.com/beyondhifi/cgi-...uintro__Ultimate_Scart_Control.html#a270#a270 the same product as your link? sorry about the long link!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Link broken and image too hard too read (of back panel) use S-video if possible

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,406
    If all you have is Sky+ and a PS2 then you can connect your PS2 to the VCR SCART input/Output of the Sky+ and Sky+ directly via SCART to the TV.
    Connect the optical out from your PS2 to the Denon and use optical out from Sky+ to another input on the Denon.
    Sky+ will pass through the PS2 video signal (and should be RGB IIRC) and Sky+ will work on RGB. You will need to select the revelant optical input on the Denon to get sound.

Make sure you use a 21 pin fully connected SCART lead from Sky+ to the TV and use an RGB capable SCART lead for the PS2 (Logic3 for a fiver from HMV or CPC).

The only potential problem is that the PS2 might send a green screen with DVDs - you should be able to get around that either with a 3rd party disc or worst case, switch back to 'DVD' mode on the PS2-SCART lead which will give composite out - not better (or worse) than you're used to. SKy will certainly look much better as will games from your PS2.

Decent cheap SCART and optical leads can be obtained here - don't forget to add VAT to the prices and £4 shipping if the order is less than £30+VAT
    For example...
    http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...pc+catalogue&category_name=&product_id=276284
    and
    http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...ober+2004&category_name=&product_id=AV0747404

6. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    great1 thanks for that. the denon has video switching - would this set up confuse it in any way?

Another way that was suggested was to keep my set up as is and connect the skyplus via an s-video fro visual and optical for audio. Would this be ok too. I suppose it would mean that i miss out on improving the quality of ps2 picture.

thanks again.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    S-video for PS2 is very good as well.......

8. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    woohooo, my thread's become popular - can we make it a sticky ;) I get to ask stupid questions and you guys can help me out - it'll be a blast - promise :rotfl:

I'm going to check out using the scart sockets on sky+ first cos that doesn't involve any cables that i don't already have. My need for neatness is driving me to have separate s-video and optical connections for each and then outputting from the amp to TV via my scart to rca (this one http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=42458). Hope this doesn't lose any of the quality i may have retained elsewhere.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    if using S-video you will need to use S-video to TV so check manual to see if TV will accept S-video on scart..... TV may have an Svideo socket elsewhere on the back panel

10. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    tv does indeed have an s-video in - on the front however which is a pain (aesthetically at least - still, considering my confusion at the beginning of the day i'm happy with that!)

so i should consider getting a scart to s-video to run from s-video out of amp to scart in to tv. and i must check that my tv will accept s-video on scart.

a great man once said `through a window of words, light began to dawn' - i think light might be beginning to dawn inthe dark recesses of my addled brain - THANKS :thumbsup:

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    yes if it has S-video socket on front it "*should*" take s-video via scart.....

12. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,406
    My preferred option is to avoid sending video through the amplifer unless you have to.
    The fewer connections between the source and the TV the better and RGB is (usually) better than the equivalent S-Video source (discuss ;) )
    In the set up I described video just passes through to or from Sky+ without the need for any manual video switching. When you watch a DVD/play a game you'd need to chose the audio source for the PS2.

13. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, so i'm trying to think of a middle ground between these two options - i don't think there is one, but consider this.

I run sky+ direct via scart to tv.
    I run optical from sky+ to denon
    I run scart to s-vhs from ps2 to denon
    I run optical from ps2 to denon

Keeping in mind that i have only one inoput scart on my tv that set up won't work will it? Could I run a video out from the denon into the sky+ to get the ps2 picture through it onto the tv? Or is that just a stupid way of avoiding connecting ps2 and sky+ via scart

all this kept me awake last night - i'm quite enjoying it now! I've got no work done today tho :devil:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Either both via S-video to denon and denon to TV
    or PS2 RGB scart (is PS your DVD player?) into VCR Scart on Sky box and TV scart onto TV.
    Optical from both to Denon in both cases...

15. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah, have got one optical order that it taken an age to arrive (well a week from games direct). Need to sort another.

Any suggestion on suppliers of a high quality product at a price that's right?

yeah, ps2 is my dvd player for the time being. i want to get a KiSS player (probably 1504) but that will have to wait until i can make an excuse to my better half.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  17. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well, now i'm getting the cables fettish.

have just bought a nice optical and am looking at getting a decent scart - obviously i can't go completely overboard on this, so I was thinking about the QED Sqart P2110 Performance Scart (a slinky little number I'm sure you agree).

however, because I will be running sound from both ps2 and sky+ to amp via optical cables, and because my tv should already have been consigned to the dustbin of history, I'm wondering if i am really going to notice that much difference btw the QED scart and the scart that the nice sky+ installation man will give me?

18. xivieri

xivieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hell yeah, as I just posted on another thread, the QED P21 is superb, and the difference is quite noticeable from the crappy plastic standard scart. Its the best £30 you will spend on anything do with AV.

19. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I'm back on the scart case cos I'm buying a new tv! Can't aford too much so I'm thinking of going for a Philips 28" 28PW6518C Real Flat Widescreen.

Anyway, I want a decent RGB scart to link this to my sky+ box and have a couple of questions:
    1) Should I go for the QEDp21 or p41? I use optical S/PDIF from Sky box to amp so i don't have to worry about sound. Will RGB only provide better picture quality than the P21?

2) which is the RGB socket on the Sky+ box? The top or bottom socket?

Thanks!