MY samsung LE40M61B

loonatic

Novice Member
Have any owners of this set tried to hookup a PC via DVI-HDMI ? and if so will it take it's native res ? failing that what about over VGA ?

Also...does it have any fans ? and if so are they noticable over normal dialogue ?

Lastly...does it have discrete buttons for the various inputs ? or do you have to cycle through them ?

Have seen the Sony V40 which was nice but just seemed a little lacking for some reason and didb't have me reaching for my CC straight away.

Hope to see the Sammy in action soon ?

Cheers, Lee

Northerner76

Novice Member
ADC said:
AGS,
No digital tuner on this model. Ill try again with the pics.
Seems strange that it doesn't have a digital tuner - they also omitted one from the LE40R51... shame really... wait there... just noticed a LE40M61BX on the Samsung website - does the X suffix mean it has a digital tuner?

ADC

Jak,
All the connections at the back come out at 90 degrees to the screen. Not sure how you go about wall mounting it.
Loonatic,
You have to scroll through the various inputs to get the one you require. But it only scrolls through the ones that you have a device connected to. E.G if you dont have anything connected to the pc input or the component sockets it misses them out. Hope that makes sense!

The wall mount i got was a about 25mm thick so the set sits tight to the wall, where the cables go in there is a cut out for a bit more room but it is tight overall.

I put every connection to it and it all fits. If you need SVideo make it a bit longer out of the wall as the connection is near the side.

Looks nice on wall.
PC with VGA set to 1360 * 768 60hz looks like it fits the screen perfect to me, no stretching or distortion.

PS2 with component 480p (god of war) looks very good colors, blacks and whites all excellent. Also (GT4) 1080i the white title screen nearly blinds you :)

Hope this helps

loonatic

Novice Member
All sounds good so far :smashin:

Which wall mount is it mate ?

Any pictures of it on the wall ? with maybe a side shot ?

Cheers, Lee

C

clockhouse

I am looking to buy a 37- 43" TV and saw both the sammy 61 and pioneer 436XDE side by side on HD material yesterday.

And to my Surprise! (In my opinion)The sammy actually has a better picture quality.

Both sets have dynamic, vibrant and lifelike pictures. The colour saturation is also exceptional.

However the dark scene resolution is clearer, fine details are sharper and you can follow fast movements easier without losing definition on the sammy

The only area that the pioneer is better in PQ wise, is the 3D picture depth (and this may well be to do with the thickness of the glass contrast screen)

Has anyone compared the Phillips 9830 with the Sammy
or Pioneer.?

Does the Sammy 61 have the best PQ?

Giblets2

Novice Member
Northerner76 said:
Seems strange that it doesn't have a digital tuner - they also omitted one from the LE40R51... shame really... wait there... just noticed a LE40M61BX on the Samsung website - does the X suffix mean it has a digital tuner?
I've had a look through the specs and the manual, which is the same as for the non-X model, so it doesn't look like it has a digital tuner... shame.

Northerner76

Novice Member
Giblets2 said:
I've had a look through the specs and the manual, which is the same as for the non-X model, so it doesn't look like it has a digital tuner... shame.
Yeah - that and the fact that the unit seems to be available only from future home for £2.2k is enough to put me off... specially as no-where has it first hand to view in the flesh.
Looks like it will be Tosh 37WLT58 or JVCDS6BJ

loonatic

Novice Member
My local Sevenoaks in Staines will have it on display I'm told later this comming week...no idea what the price will be...but I assume other branches may also have it on show.

I also emailed Samsung to confirm about the digital tuner and it doesn't have one...which is a shame.

Cheers, Lee

T0rNaDo

Northerner76 said:
Yeah - that and the fact that the unit seems to be available only from future home for £2.2k is enough to put me off... specially as no-where has it first hand to view in the flesh.

thats because samsung said it will be out in the shops at the end of oct.
when i emailed them about this model.
and its now the end of oct. so they should start hitting the shops and other places of retail..

shame its all black tv thou... :(

P

Pinoy

I am considering getting this model but in this forum Samsung LEXXX seems to get more problems, getting worrried now . . .

So far, do you have any problems in this model ?

lapino

could someone with a LE40M61B comment on this:
* how is analog picture quality
* would size difference coming from a 42" plasma be very noticeable?
* does PIP work with xbox/dvd player/digital tv?
* how are black levels?
* does it make a noticeable sound? (fans)

ADC

lapino,
* analogue picture isn't brilliant
* Never owned a 42" tv so i cant really comment other than to say i notice a big difference having stepped up from a 36" TV
*I haven't set up the PIP as yet
*Black levels are excellent
* my set runs silently.
Hope this helps.

P

Pinoy

Hi ADC,

Is analogue picture is that bad ? is it a big difference compare to crt ?

Thanks,
Ronald

ADC

I'm not saying it is a bad picture but i'm so used to watching a digital picture.
i personally wouldn't purchase this screen for an analogue picture. To get the best out of it you need to put the best that you can in to it.

munkeenuts

Standard Member
Went to order this set from Futurehome today but they are currenlty out of stock (even though their website says they are in stock) :confused:

Advised it would be around 7-10 days before any stock was available, and they had a backlist of customer orders.

Has anybody ordered from Komplett? £200 saving is not to be sniffed at....but never ordered anything major from them personally.

Also Samsung now have this model on their UK site. Is it worth waiting a couple of weeks to see what other suppliers stock them?

lapino

I'm still very much debating to get this tv instead of the Panasonic 42PV500 plasma...damn...choosing is hard :(

I'm still very much debating to get this tv instead of the Panasonic 42PV500 plasma...damn...choosing is hard

Just get this its better, i was originaly going to get a pv500, so glad i got this instead.

lapino

Can you explain a little more WHY you chose the Samsung? Have you seen both in action? (I have seen neither) What made you choose the Samsung over the Panasonic?

nh3com

Banned
munkeenuts said:
Went to order this set from Futurehome today but they are currenlty out of stock (even though their website says they are in stock) :confused:

Advised it would be around 7-10 days before any stock was available, and they had a backlist of customer orders.

Has anybody ordered from Komplett? £200 saving is not to be sniffed at....but never ordered anything major from them personally.

Also Samsung now have this model on their UK site. Is it worth waiting a couple of weeks to see what other suppliers stock them?
yep i've used komplett a few times for computer gear and never had a problem, sent kit back and they where fine.

Can you explain a little more WHY you chose the Samsung? Have you seen both in action? (I have seen neither) What made you choose the Samsung over the Panasonic?

Yes i've seen both with hdmi player and the samsung is better plus no screen burn, sorry retention :)
Plus better PC resolutions and xbox 720p has less scaling due to higher resolution.

you will be very happy with this, just go see for your self its no good me telling you. :D

Attachments

lapino

Ok thx a LOT for the pictures. Could you post a little more? Also, how are the black levels on the Samsung. Right now I'm watching 24 on my Philips plasma and the subtitles retention is bothering me like hell!

T0rNaDo

munkeenuts said:

ive order computer stuff from them before...
9800pro's and mobo and ram with led display..
never had any probs with them.
but ive never had to return anything yet to them.

lapino

Cancelled my order for a Panasonic 42PV500 and ordered the Samsung LE40M61 instead. Figured I can't go wrong with a tv that got the 'european lcd of the year' award. Plus it's a TFT, so no more worries about screen burning in or retention. Hope I did the right thing :)

loonatic

Novice Member
lapino said:
Cancelled my order for a Panasonic 42PV500 and ordered the Samsung LE40M61 instead. Figured I can't go wrong with a tv that got the 'european lcd of the year' award. Plus it's a TFT, so no more worries about screen burning in or retention. Hope I did the right thing :)
Brave man...plasma's and LCDs have a completely different look IMHO...be sure to let us know what you think when it arrives...when is it due ?

Cheers, Lee

lapino

No idea when it'll be delivered, shouldn't take THAT long (I think about a week). Does LCD's really look THAT different? I've read nothing but good from these Samsung's, so it can't be THAT bad can it? (again, I'm starting to worry...maybe I should buy both ;))

loonatic

Novice Member
Unlight said:
Anyone have any experience with the LE40M51 range?

Is it the same panel?
It is a different panel from the 51 range which did unfortunately seem to suffer from a fair few problems…some of which got solved via a firmware upgrade…but I’ve also heard reports of buzzing which is very disturbing to me as that’s the main reason I have scraped the idea of another plasma screen…well that and screen burn/retention.

Cheers, Lee