My Samsung LE26R41B Ghosting

F

Flabby

I have recently purchased the Samsung LE26R41B TFT HD ready 26 inch LCD TV for general home entertainment purposes – including X-box 360 and PC gaming. Having connected the panel to my pc via VGA, I am noticing significant ghosting within certain games. The ghosting/smearing particularly occurs where there is movement on scenes with blacks against greys, but it may also occur where there are high contrast differences between colours. For example, where there is a dark/black object in a game, when I move I get a black/grey smudging of that object on the opposite side to the direction I am moving in. It only lasts a split second, but during games with lots of movement, it is distracting.

Generally speaking the TV seems to be excellent – especially for DVD, and many games appear to run without any noticeable ghosting. The games I have noticed it in so far are Quake 4, Half Life 2, Guild Wars, GTA San Andreas and Virtual Pool 3 (around the red balls against the green background). I can also replicate the ghosting using tests found online.

Has anyone else with this model noticed any ghosting? I have contact Samsung, and they have kindly offered to pick up my TV for testing (I am very persuasive!). However, I am now concerned that the test centre will simply state that the ghosting is normal for a LCD (or they will not notice it at all), and I will not have my TV back for another 3-4 weeks.

Is this sort of image distortion normal for this model? If it is, I will stop moaning!

Many Thanks

Flabby

I dont have this set but the same thing occurs on my Toshiba 27wl56. you have to look for it really to be distracted by it. Also it does it only on certain xbox games too. Dead or Alive:ultimate is very fast but doesn't smear at all????? Halo 1&2 seem to smear at first then settle down???

surely if the set was faulty it would do it on everything?

i reckon it's just lcd tecnology at the moment thats the problem.

i'm sure you'll stop noticing it after the you've got used to it and the display has run in for a while.

just relax and enjoy!!

Thanks for the quick response (no pun intended!)

Yes, I think you are right. I need to chill and stop getting freaked out by smudging of dark images. I liken the experience to getting a chipped tooth. Once you know it is there, you can’t stop thinking about it for some time. I am sure I will learn to ignore it and accept that it is an LCD thing.

The main reason I have been jumpy about the issue, is that so many people on these and other forums have said that they have not noticed any smearing with this display during games. Then again, I suppose it would depend on the games played and the viewer’s awareness/consciousness of these sorts of issues. It does not happen to great extent on all games, only ones where there tend to be lots of darks and greys. Apart from this, the TV seems to be great!

Again, thanks

Flabby

i reckon when people say 'my tv doesn't ghost, smear etc' they really mean 'it's so slight, it doesn't bother me'

watch me get shot down for saying that!! lol

My LE40R51B did ghost a bit in the first couple of weeks, but not enough to bother me but Ive seen posts where people have stated that after updating the tearing firmware it seems to improve it.

I think mine got better on its own but then I may have just adjusted to it, now if only I could adjust to the buzzing!.....

my 32" freeview version ghosted to the extreme when playing xbox. i got sammy to send me updated sfot ware and it fixed it!

Interestingly, I have just contacted Samsung to cancel the repair pickup that they organised. The tech support person I talked to informed me that these screens should not ghost to any great extent at all, and that I should in fact send it in for testing. I explained my observations very clearly (I did not exaggerate), and even stated that I felt it might just be an LCD thing. He still recommended I return the unit.

So far I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of Samsungs customer services. They answer the phone within seconds, and they are very helpful with customers like myself who might be just neurotic about their gaming quality.

Flabby said:
Interestingly, I have just contacted Samsung to cancel the repair pickup that they organised. The tech support person I talked to informed me that these screens should not ghost to any great extent at all, and that I should in fact send it in for testing. I explained my observations very clearly (I did not exaggerate), and even stated that I felt it might just be an LCD thing. He still recommended I return the unit.

So far I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of Samsungs customer services. They answer the phone within seconds, and they are very helpful with customers like myself who might be just neurotic about their gaming quality.

Unfortunately not all the operators at Samsung are as good, out of the 6 people I have spoken to only one guy actually sounded interested to my problem

In fairness to Samsung they have been very helpful so far with my component connection problem :)

I have notice the same thing on my Le32r41bdx it has been upgraded to 22nd Aug firmware and it is worse after the upgrade. IMHO. I have contacted Samsung they are getting it picked up maybe the new Oct 11 firmware might sort this out if they apply it to the set.

My Apple studio LCD display is perfect 3 years old no issues with that.

This might not help but i have a 2 year old Philips (9975) 16ms response time and i get no ghosting whatsoever!

Why do these new sets have ghosting!? You can't put it down to "New LCD technology"; it's been around for a few years now and with Samsung they are on the 5th generation of TV's!

I had a 26" r41bd which went pop a week ago last Saturday.

I phoned Samsung that day and as no-one answered within 10 mins, I left a message (using option 1 on their system) and am still awaiting a callback, which obviously now isnt gonna happen, so for me Samsung have been utter cack, its just as well I was able to contact the supplier of the tv and organise a replacement.

Cant understand why nobody even attempted to call me back, they had two different numbers and neither of these has logged any calls/attempts.

Oh well, just hope I never have cause to contact them in the future.

Just to update. Samsung eventually picked up my LE26R41B television and took it to a 3rd party service centre. The gentleman who came to my home address witnessed the smearing during games, and confirmed that it was definitely a fault. He stated that smearing to the extent he had just seen was only apparent on televisions/monitors when LCD technology was first introduced onto the market.

However, the service centre could not find a problem. I spoke to the service centre manager, and he told me that the screen had been on test for 2 days, and they had run a DVD through it. He went on to tell me that LCD TV’s are simply not up to gaming yet. The display was returned to me.

I now have the le26r41b connected to my x-box 360 via component (think that is right – the one that supports 720p that comes with the full system). The smearing is still present, but may not be quite as bad as the VGA on my pc. I am left in the situation where I do not know whether this television is just not good for games, or if it is faulty. When I talk about smearing, I am referring to an effect during movement on screen whereby blacks blur – very much like someone has rubbed wet paint on canvas. The smearing is highly visibly and distracting.

I have been in contact with Samsung UK on many, many occasions to try to get a definitive answer about this issue. I have also written a lengthy letter/report to explain the problem in detail + what has been done. So far they have failed to phone me back or write to me once, and they have passed me from pillar to post. For this reason alone, I simply cannot continue to recommend Samsung for customer care.

If I was told by Samsung UK that smearing on this display is normal, then that is fine. I do realise that to some degree it is an LCD thing. However, Samsung have informed me that the le26r41b should not smear to any noticeable extent at all. It also seems that loads and loads of people on forums are stating that this television is great for games.

A good ghosting test is found here: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/ghosting.html

When I run this through my screen, the red box leaves a trail up to 1cm long behind it. I have a 16ms monitor connected to my pc that leaves absolutely no trail. Nor does my rubbish laptop.

That is my Samsung story so far…

Flabby said:
He went on to tell me that LCD TV’s are simply not up to gaming yet. The display was returned to me.

Hmmmm.....maybe you should have asked them to explain why PC games played on LCD monitors are fine!!

LCD IS up to gaming! What he has said is just nonsense!

I agree + I am really frustrated with Samsung UK. I have a Sharp 20 inch 16 ms LCD connected to my pc, and it does not smear in the slightest. I have also heard many good reports about LCD TV’s for gaming. It seems that there still remains ageing opinions about LCD technology in people whose job it is to know better.

Has anyone tried the ghosting test link yet?

Hi Flabby. I have a feeling that there is a design fault with this model concerning the smearing/ghosting.

I'll keep you posted regarding this matter

Take care

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom