My Samsung 26" LCD - very hot, and slight noise?

NackNack

Ex Member
Reaction score
The TV has been very good so far, but I've noticed that after an hour or two it can get really hot (above it and just touching the screen). Also, there's a very slight hissing when listening from the top - probably just how it normally runs, but just wanted to check in case. :)

My 40" does the same. LCDs get hot. The hissing from the top will be the fan inside. Nothing to worry about................unless we both have faulty sets..........lol

NackNack said:
The TV has been very good so far, but I've noticed that after an hour or two it can get really hot (above it and just touching the screen). Also, there's a very slight hissing when listening from the top - probably just how it normally runs, but just wanted to check in case. :)

Yes have posted my own thread on the humming, mines a buzz/humm.

Im off to PC world and currys/comet today to take a lsiten to their display sets. Mine gets quite hot but I think that part is normal.

Im not usually fussy about things like humming but I was more worried it was a faulty backlight which was soon to die.

I have a fairly noisy SKY+ box so im used to AV equipment not being quiet!

How loud is in in comparison to the SKY+ box? I should hope it is nowhere near, cause mine is bloody loud!

This is a little concerning, as I've been considering the 32" for the Xbox 360. Mind you, the Xbox was loud, the Xbox 360 will probably be just as bad.

neil c said:
How loud is in in comparison to the SKY+ box? I should hope it is nowhere near, cause mine is bloody loud!

This is a little concerning, as I've been considering the 32" for the Xbox 360. Mind you, the Xbox was loud, the Xbox 360 will probably be just as bad.

Yeah the xbox and sky+ boxes make a hell of a noise, surprising that folk can here their sets buzz over that already existing noise.

FlyingBig said:
Yeah the xbox and sky+ boxes make a hell of a noise, surprising that folk can here their sets buzz over that already existing noise.

I find the SKY+ box noise is a different buzz and changes all the time depending on whether you are recording, playing back, or just viewing.This buzz is generally constant.

The TV noise is a different pitch. The only way to reduce the noise as ive said is to go into the brightness sensor option and turn it on, so the sliding bar moves from right to left until it stops at the optimum level. The noise level ( or pitch) of the sound changes with each movement of that bar if that makes sense ,so if it finishes up completely to the left then the noise is less obvious. But I find having the brightness sensor on makes the picture too dark.

Anyway ive just got back from PC World, Comet and Currys and have had a look at 2- 40", 3- 32" and 2- 26" models from the same range and they are all pretty much silent, unless u actually put your ear on the grills at the top of the TV! so im not convinced it should be making a noise like it is...

Roll on Engineers visit on Friday!

the lurch: maybe that is why i never heard a buzz with my pv500 as i used dark settings anyway as that is my preference but i did notice that if you bring up the sky bar the noise of the tv set would change. As far as i am concerned this is consistent with what everyone experiences and a brighter image will cause a buzz or high pitched hum and is all down to how plasma/lcd technology works. As with all technologies they have the quirks ya just gotta learn to live with them.

It's only a very slight buzz when I'm right next to the top of the LCD. Guessing they're all hot then!

The Xbox 360 is going to be really quiet, due to an external PSU so internal cooling isn't as strenuous.

phorenzik said:
My 40" does the same. LCDs get hot. The hissing from the top will be the fan inside. Nothing to worry about................unless we both have faulty sets..........lol

Apparently they dont have a fan so the engineer has just told me, the buzz comes from the power inverter board and is normal. Im still not convinced but thats life!

Im very picky about noise from my AV equipment.

The samsung LCD screen, no complaints here. :cool:

You literally have to be right above the screen to hear a slight noise. Just wondered in case the screen was going to pop. :p

NackNack said:
You literally have to be right above the screen to hear a slight noise. Just wondered in case the screen was going to pop. :p

You are very lucky then as I can hear it from 8 foot away and more but am slowly getting used to it like the SKY+ box that annoyed me a year ago.

I would take it back. Mine is silent, even right up close. I'm also very fussy about noise. Can't even put up with a PVR and modded my Xbox with a slow Pabst fan. My Samsung is as quiet as the grave.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom