My Sagem HD-D56 Has ARRIVED!

Razor said:
Just the RD65 :rolleyes:

Thanks Razor :hiya:

Well, that's good news for me as I'm going to get a 56... but I would have liked to have the option of the 65. Unlike you, I don't have the patience or tolerance to find a hardware 'fix' for the problem (and I don't want to connect a PC to the screen, so Powerstrip is out). Just want it to work 'out of the box'.

But I must say, your monster TV looks sweeeeeet!! :smashin:

multiply said:
But I must say, your monster TV looks sweeeeeet!! :smashin:

Cheers :thumbsup:

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
I got sky coming in a couple hours to extend my Sky+ Box so it's next to my TV, as opposed to me using a Magic Sky Eye.

kmhtkmhtkmht :hiya:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get on with the Sky+ box move?

I am waiting with baited breath to find out if the reception is still less than great with the HD-D56 and Sky after hearing a few reports of lacklustre performance.

Can any of the other HD-D56 owners comment on the picture quality of Sky on this box? I know Dunsters ( :hiya: ) is also having similar problems, so I am very wary of buying one now... :(

I wish this TV was more readily available to go and demo :thumbsdow

My Sky box is connected to my HD-D56 via RGB Scart and i've had no problems at all with the picture. I think it's RF that people are having problems with. Haven't tried it on mine so can't comment.

The Sky Guys never turned up!

I am in Florence now but I know they were busy busy busy on Monday.

I will try and get them to reschedule it for the Coming Tuesday - It's ridiculous tho that they didn't even show up and I know the manager of the installation company!

Hi Guys,
Thought I would give you an update of my hunt for the Sagem 56" on demo...

Easy really, they have one in the main Norwich comet, the one near the old boundary roundabout that was, in the special demo area with the small seats.

Unfortunatly this is not part of the HD demo area, therefore the only feed was the the std comet RF feed showing pop videos that are on all of the std sets ... rather poor performance as you would expect.

I asked the 1st assistant, he said thats all we can offer... and wandered off. second assistant came along and offered to hook a DVD player to it. Much better but the DVD was of cartoons in letterbox mode and difficult to really judge. The guy wanted to turn the audio up so loud that it made the not very steady stand shake.

I then asked to see the off air RF pic from BBC or ITV, not immediatly willing but did finally get to look at an off air pic. As you would expect not great but better than I expected and good bright picture and contrast.

There appeared to be quite a bit of reflection from the store lights but not so much of the frosted glass effect as on the smaller set.

The guy clamed 10,000 hours on the lamp life...

Overall not too conclusive maybe I take a couple of R1 dvd's with me next time (and player)

It was smaller than I expected too ... My 50" picture height is 75cm, this one 70cm...

Hope of interest, just need to find the RD65 on demo somewhere now :)

Andrew

10,000 hours is a very conservative quote for the bulb life on this set. Sagem's press release for the set proudly boasted of a 100,000 hour bulb life.

100,000 was not the Lamp life the press release is misleading.

100,000 hours is the estimated life time of the DLP Chip.

kmhtkmhtkmht,
Did you solve your Sky connection issues ? How does the set look now ? From other posts you seem happy with it... sorry if I missed your verdict if already here.

Thanks

Andrew

I haven't yet got the Sky people around, the longer I leave it, the less I can be bothered... I will definately give her a call on Monday and just FIX a date.

Sky via RGB Scart will look Brilliant I think.

I am just going to buy a HD56. I get signal mainly by digital Sat-Receiver via Astra (is this what you call Sky?). So, a possible bad RF picture is not so a problem for me.
Have you ever tried to use another tuner (i.e. an old VCR) and feed the RD56 via the RGB output? Maybe the tuner of the RD56 is worse than the old one in the 50". Analog parts become worse in many new electronic equipments.

kmhtkmhtkmht,

I see what you mean when you say that this TV is a noisey beast. There's loads of noise no matter what source I'm using (ie. Sky via RGB or DVD via component). I'm surprised that other than yourself, other owners of the HD-D56 haven't brought this up.

Admittedly, It DOES get slightly better - I don't know if this rumour of a 100 hour burn off time for the lamp is true but even if it's not I think your mind gets used to the DLP screen and it mellows out a BIT eventually... It's not perfect, but this is the best TV set out right now. Period.

If you kept waiting for the next big advancement, and the next, you'd end up never buying one. This TV has enough connectivity (shame no native HDMI)...

hedgehog said:
I am just going to buy a HD56. I get signal mainly by digital Sat-Receiver via Astra (is this what you call Sky?). So, a possible bad RF picture is not so a problem for me.
Have you ever tried to use another tuner (i.e. an old VCR) and feed the RD56 via the RGB output? Maybe the tuner of the RD56 is worse than the old one in the 50". Analog parts become worse in many new electronic equipments.
my VCR connected with composite cable showing slightly better picture than built in tuner of HD-D45

The title of this thread happed to me yesterday :D (so I'm a little bit tired today :boring: ).

What to say. First the picture is such nice :thumbsup: .

During the installation I put in the "Blue see" DVD for testing the connection (from a Samsung 945 via DVI 720p). I let all cable, packages etc. laying around and came not up until the movie has finished. So DVD is perfect.

Then Television via antenna (RF). Not so bad as expected after reading here. We only have 3 channels and all did look quite well.

Then TV via digital SAT(dvb-S). Of course, same channels via SAT were much more brilliant. The time for my antenna seems to be up (maybe to be used for PIP). Especially, ORF the Austrian TV sends with a very high bitrate (a 1.5 hour movie needs about 5-6GB on my Topfield 4000 PVR) comparable to DVD an I get pictures really comparable with DVD, particularly with anamorph material :clap: :clap: :clap: . Other dvb-S channels are a little bit worse but still realy realy impressive.

Now to the fan/color wheel noise: This is unfortunately the only point which can be criticized from my point of view. It is clear hearable in silent scenes at 4m distance. I think it's more the colour wheel, because the fan has another frequency clearly hearable at the start of the TV for a few of seconds. But fortunately this frequency does not bother me as it does a fan noise of a Thomson DLY50, which I had before (send it back therefore).

So all in all I am comletely happy and think there are hard nights coming :cool:

Great to hear you are happy - Welcome to the 56" owners club and I hope you do enjoy the set. I am now convinced that the burn-in situation is real and that the picture will improve after the first 100hrs. Good luck:thumbsup:

Your comment about the wheel noise is not normal in my experience as I only every hear a fan briefly on start and then after that, nothing more intrusive than a background low hum.:confused:
Cheers:hiya:

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to play with my new baby. Should take some free days ;)

For the fan noise: I found out that my old wooden rack seems to acts like a resonance box. Also the room geometry plays a trick on me. The noise is louder on my sitting position, than nearby the TV. I'l check this out next days.

did i miss the pics??? Anyone going to be so kind as to let us see your set-ups??

Chers

Dunsters, that looks amazing.... Think you have the same surround sound as me:)

I have often looked at the smaller Sagem in my local comet or currys as I love the way it is just screen with a thin strip of plastic around it (picture frame style).

Please excuse my ignorance but having seen the Pics of Dunsters set-up I am now seriously considering a new TV but I dont really know much about DLP tv's as I have spent most my time looking into plasma.

I see shootandshow do the RD65 for £3000 which seems an amazing price for a 65" TV but i am put of by the lack of other owners and to be honest it may be a bit too big for my room. I have always been put of the sagem at currys because it looks small (I curently have a 42" RPTV non widescreen) and an equivalent widesceen set always looks smaller to me, however now seeing that I have discovered the wonderful HD-56 I may be seriously intertested.

What sort of price am I looking at??? I only ask here as i am at work and I cant really spend to long surfing dozens of websites looking for prices.

Is there anything I need to be wary about?? do these sets have any major flaws.. what is the thickness front to back?? A plsma had always been planned to get it wall mounted abouve the non used fire place, if the sagem is not massive then it may even sit on my mantle piece with a bit of securing to the wal as well.

Cheers

Good news :clap: ,
in a first trail, I could reduce the bothering noise a lot by simply putting a carpet between TV and rack and a thin mattress in front of the wooden rack. So it was really not the TV itself but resonance problems with the rack.
After that joyful result it was again 2:00 a.m., until I found my way to bed :boring:

:thumbsup: A really great TV :thumbsup:

Excellent news Hedgehog!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dapex,

The HD56 is currently £2699 at Comet and £199 for 3yrs warranty versus £2469 at http://www.plasma-television.co.uk/sagem-axium-hdd56b-inch-p-185.html (as an example only - there are others) and £249 for 3 yrs warranty.;)

Currys give you a chance to see what you are buying first but, as other threads show, they are not the smartest bunch when it comes to advice or salemanship.:suicide:

Watch out for Rainbows - (I have never seen one but some do so look at a demo first to see if you are affected)
Low quality source will be exaggerated so make sure you buy good cables especially. Good quality sources however are stonking!!:clap:
The 56" is a massive beast so plan very carefully if you can fit it in as even I was surprised how much space it took in a 40' Edwardian living room. (Unless you have a convenient Bay window as Razor and some others :)hiya: )

The TV is slightly thicker than the HD50 I had before but very much lighter. The upper half and sides are wafer thin but the base is about 24" (in old money) deep. You will struggle to fit it onto a mantle IMHO and it cannot be wall mounted unless (like some in the forums:eek: ) you start knocking walls down or building false walls to house it in:eek: :eek:

A great beast of a set and a good buy in my view:D

Cheers:hiya:

:thumbsup: A new rack arrived, noise of the color wheel has nearly gone! Now only a silent fan noise is left.
I'm still very very happy with the TV. I now watched a lot af sky material (which is most of my intersest, I don't watched a lot of DVDs up to now) and it is realy amasing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom